The Dire Need for a Striker

It's great that he wants to prove himself but in the capacity as being an understudy to a 20 goals plus a season striker he only has the last third of games to prove himself, and show he's capable, I've not seen that at all from him, he's been aimless.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Martin will play about 50 games this season and score about 30 goals.

Do we need a striker? No

That is not the op question though no one is talking about replacing martin think we all agree that if martin plays 50 games there will be no need but say for example against Huddersfield martin breaks his leg or cruciate ligaments tear then who are we going to use??? Leon best ha, we might as well have sammon.

If Martin gets injured whilst the loan or permanent windows are open we should be OK. No decent player will come to be an understudy, but that changes when there's a starting place on offer. The Butland signing shows that the club are capable of sorting quality loans out quickly. The problem is after the loan window closes - I'm not sure about December, but I know that the spring loan window closes with about seven games to go - that is a lot of points we could lose without Martin or a decent deputy. How annoying if we missed out on promotion because of that!

Would of been great to have Bamford back. He scored some very important goals last season either tap ins and few out of nothing. Just don't see who else we have this year that could do that, especially as ward like most small quick players pulls his hamstring if he so much as farts in the wrong direction.

Johnny Russell played as a striker in Scotland and very good he was at it , he is better through the middle as out wide

If we play Russell as back up striker then we're short a winger. Russell is our only consistent (and he's not even been that consistent himself) winger. Wouldn't be comfortable with only Dawkins and Ibe left while Ward is out injured.

Surprised anyone still sees Best as an option to be fair. The only other option is Thomas right now. I think we can expect some chatter regarding a striker very very soon; Chris Evans and his group must be looking.

We need a player in the mould of Martin - a creative striker who can play with his back to goal and by himself up front. Best can't do that, and so a Martin injury would be absolutely devastating for us. We'd have to abandon our current style to accommodate Best who, let's face it, is not very good. 

But it'd be very difficult to find a player in Martin's mould. Overseas perhaps?

Best just needs to sort his ***** out. We've all seen he's a decent enough player over the years. He's never been a donkey just not quite all that either.

He's had some good spells in his career.

Dunno what's wrong with him.

I hated it when we signed him cus I always thought he was a cnut. Never a bad player

Never thought I'd defend him either!!

Don't you know a waste of space when you see it?

Archived