The Dire Need for a Striker

I know pal. :( Just wanted to see how many no Americans posts there would be.

Seriously though I hope he gets his form back on the club level.

The only American player I rate is that Brek Shea chap who plays for Stoke/Birmingham. He's a gazelle, with power ... like a very poor man's version of Gareth Bale but he plays wide. Mac could develop him. He's available in the window too .. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need a player in the mould of Martin - a creative striker who can play with his back to goal and by himself up front. Best can't do that, and so a Martin injury would be absolutely devastating for us. We'd have to abandon our current style to accommodate Best who, let's face it, is not very good. 

But it'd be very difficult to find a player in Martin's mould. Overseas perhaps?

That player is Luc Castaignos, Posh. He's young and a top scorer in the Eredivisie at FC Twente. Mac knows all about him, but he would cost us 6-8m at the least. 

That player is Luc Castaignos, Posh. He's young and a top scorer in the Eredivisie at FC Twente. Mac knows all about him, but he would cost us 6-8m at the least. 

I have heard good things about Castaignos and obviously he and McClaren have a previous connection from Twente. No way could we buy him now, unless he's fallen out of favour there and is available on a loan deal I couldn't see us getting him. But if/when we go up I think he'd make a great signing as competition for Martin.

As I've said check out Hector Villalba, only 20, plays for San Lorenzo

If he wants to play up front for us and have Hector on the back of his shirt, then he'd better be bloody good.

Perhaps.Only one you rate in England? Or overall?

Almost overall. There are many good American goalkeepers (forgot those) but no, I don't rate any current field players except Shea (upside), and I pay attention trust me. ... Bradley okay, and Dempsey not bad too (now with MLS) and ... Back in the day, Donovan was good, and so was Claudio Reyna ...  but Harkes was awful. 

I have heard good things about Castaignos and obviously he and McClaren have a previous connection from Twente. No way could we buy him now, unless he's fallen out of favour there and is available on a loan deal I couldn't see us getting him. But if/when we go up I think he'd make a great signing as competition for Martin.

Good points, but Martin would be coming off the bench if we signed Castaignos. 

Almost overall. There are many good American goalkeepers (forgot those) but no, I don't rate any current field players except Shea (upside), and I pay attention trust me. ... Bradley okay, and Dempsey not bad too (now with MLS) and ... Back in the day, Donovan was good, and so was Claudio Reyna ... but Harkes was awful.

Ok....

Shea to me has promise,but just does not seem to know how to live up to it.Dempsey is a very good player imo and could easily play in the Prem(couple teams wanted to get him on loan in Jan but he said no).

Bradley is my favorite US player and his play is underrated imo.I for one did not like him going to MLS at all as I thought he still had much to offer in Europe.

Howard and Guzan are well respected in the Prem and are very good imo.Donovan is still good but yes due to age has leveled off some.

With all this being said,imo Diskerud actually has more promise imo than Shea.

If Martin was out for a month or so, I can almost guarantee we would have a replacement lined up - a good one at that.

It's just unreasonable to sign a player for a position and expect him to be happy. Leon Best was given a chance to fight for a place, he had an aim, but a Premier League team won't send a player out on loan to sit on the bench if they can help it.

Grant got injured, Butland came in; Thorne got injured, Mascarell came in.

Okay neither have completely filled the void, but we spent big in the loan market to land two very highly-rated players. 

I think Ibe was meant to be this, but unfortunately he offers something different to Bamford's cool finishing, and what he does offer he's not produced often enough.

Id take Banford over Ibe any day.

Banford doesnt have the pace, but he has a football brain, has vision can interchange with players around him.

I still think Ibe is the player at school who never passes to anyone until its too late.

Archived