The Dire Need for a Striker

Martin was almost sent off on Saturday .. and if that happens, then what? 

We have one real striker right now (not counting the inept loanee Best) and Martin is not exactly someone who runs at defenders, or creates goals out of thin air. He gets on the end of stuff and his having his best season so far, but do we need a second striker that is going to deputise and then set fire to the league? Perhaps a youngster on the rise from a foreign league, ala Luc Castaignos at Twente - someone who Steve McClaren signed before.

Do we need another goalscorer to challenge Martin, and who could that be? 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best just needs to sort his ***** out. We've all seen he's a decent enough player over the years. He's never been a donkey just not quite all that either.

He's had some good spells in his career.

Dunno what's wrong with him.

I hated it when we signed him cus I always thought he was a cnut. Never a bad player

Never thought I'd defend him either!!

while I agree that we need a striker for back up to martin or to replace /join him in a game the real problem is who by who I mean a top striker is going to come and sit on the bench.

If we are to sign another it would probably have to be a foreign or a lower league player or maybe a young prem player.

People will probably disagree with this but I have not watched him personally but Tom Pope at port vale seems to score plenty and I think would be worth a closer look.

I do not doubt though that steve mc has or is in close contact with clubs over a loan / perm deal if chris were to suffer a long term injury.

Best just needs to sort his ***** out. We've all seen he's a decent enough player over the years. He's never been a donkey just not quite all that either.

He's had some good spells in his career.

Dunno what's wrong with him.

I hated it when we signed him cus I always thought he was a cnut. Never a bad player

Never thought I'd defend him either!!

I haven't.

The only time he has scored a few goals was in the lower leagues and even then, his record was only one goal in four.

He has offered absolutely nothing at Derby.

A striker that doesn't score goals.

Just a shame nobody is coming through from the development squad. I would sooner play a young up and coming player than Best. Our worst signing in a long time.

Martin is a unique player. Great first touch, brilliant vision and a great finish.

to find a striker who could do his job is difficult, I think any striker who comes in has to adapt his game or the whole team needs to change its tactics.

A player who can hold the ball up and bring others into play. Do that and you've got an able replacement for when Martin is out.

Tom Pope

People will probably disagree with this but I have not watched him personally but Tom Pope at port vale seems to score plenty and I think would be worth a closer look.

I do not doubt though that steve mc has or is in close contact with clubs over a loan / perm deal if chris were to suffer a long term injury.

Gaz- Pope sounds like a double of Martin - not sure I'd want that but I am sure most on here would - but Pope is out for 3 months with a knee injury. So he's not an option really.

Tom Pope

Gaz- Pope sounds like a double of Martin - not sure I'd want that but I am sure most on here would - but Pope is out for 3 months with a knee injury. So he's not an option really.

Cheers for the update was not aware  that he was out injured

Bennett or Thomas won't be the answer to our problems if Martin gets injured. Best isn't either.

I've already said a few times on here Best won't score a single goal for us. Been given ample opportunity to prove himself and he hasn't. Cancel his loan and get a decent striker in please. We miss Bamford (and his goals) terribly. Want to see a player of similar calibre to Bamford.

Bennett or Thomas won't be the answer to our problems if Martin gets injured. Best isn't either.

I've already said a few times on here Best won't score a single goal for us. Been given ample opportunity to prove himself and he hasn't. Cancel his loan and get a decent striker in please. We miss Bamford (and his goals) terribly. Want to see a player of similar calibre to Bamford.

I think Ibe was meant to be this, but unfortunately he offers something different to Bamford's cool finishing, and what he does offer he's not produced often enough.

What happened to that Costa Rican international striker on the books at Arsenal? Looked good at the world cup. Maybe get him on loan?

I'm not sure where he is this season but after his World Cup and also playing in the Champs League last season Id find it hard to believe he'd drop into the Chanpionship.

Leon Best is not worse than Conor Sammon.

We need another centre back too. Ideally commanding. People seem to forget our central Defence at its strongest was supposed to be Keogh Barker. Barker will most likely never play again and if he's does he won't be the player he was, two years is a very long time to be out. I think where we went wrong was waiting for so long for Barker to come back that we maybe didn't realise right away that we needed a like for like replacement. Would love to see another strong, commanding centre back PLEASE.

I'm not sure where he is this season but after his World Cup and also playing in the Champs League last season Id find it hard to believe he'd drop into the Chanpionship.

Leon Best is not worse than Conor Sammon.

It's close. They both don't offer much. Best hasn't offered anything at all yet.

Archived