Blackpool v Derby County

PrivateDerby

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get this misconception that he's lightweight.

He has great balance and is certainly tenacious in a tackle. Yes, his frame might not be one of Thorne, but I wouldn't say he's a featherweight either. The fact he's athletic enough to cover the ground makes up for it.

I've not seen him play TBH , maybe people, confuse him with Bueno. He really would have been literally blown away last night, he was tiny. Still is probably .

I didnt go to the game last night. Im in germany.

But having watched the highlights, and read numerous match reports.

Can someone who went tell me whether we were lucky to get the three points?

it looks it to me.

Even the penalty, I have seen them not given before. Given that Russell had probably just overrun it when he went over.

I saw the Reading game, and thought we were a tad lucky then. We just had better finishing, they hit the bar, hit the sidenet when it was easier to score etc.

If we were in the Premier right now, Im certain we would be getting punished by better finishing than Reading and Blackpool.

Really?

Russell one-on-one in the first half, Martin far post header just before half time, Russell curler in the second which was superbly saved, Hendrick from the edge of the box when brilliantly teed up by Martin, Bryson in the last couple of minutes. All were clear cut chances. 

apart from all of those. ;)

Had to go out last night so couldn't listen to the game and followed on Twitter.  Was it a case of continually knocking on the door second half???

game of two halves they were easily better than us first half although we had two reasonable chances just before half time . 

2nd half must have had hairdryer cos we woke up and were much better. battling display in terrible conditions.theyll beat some of the other challengers ere  if were gonna win the league these are the games you look back on has pivotal. ps jonny russel mom

it looks it to me.

Even the penalty, I have seen them not given before. Given that Russell had probably just overrun it when he went over.

I saw the Reading game, and thought we were a tad lucky then. We just had better finishing, they hit the bar, hit the sidenet when it was easier to score etc.

If we were in the Premier right now, Im certain we would be getting punished by better finishing than Reading and Blackpool.

We weren't lucky but we didn't miss chance after chance. We literally had the ball for the entire second half and just about deserved the win.

They only really threatened from set pieces in the first half hour. And Christie mistakes

game of two halves they were easily better than us first half although we had two reasonable chances just before half time .

2nd half must have had hairdryer cos we woke up and were much better. battling display in terrible conditions.theyll beat some of the other challengers ere if were gonna win the league these are the games you look back on has pivotal. ps jonny russel mom

First half against the wind, second half with it. Canon and Ball on 5Live called it before half time and said second half would be all Derby...sounds like they were right.

First half against the wind, second half with it. Canon and Ball on 5Live called it before half time and said second half would be all Derby...sounds like they were right.

It was the other way around. We played with the wind in the first half. There was a Butland kick out late in the second half, the wind nearly blew it back into the goal.

It was the other way around. We played with the wind in the first half. There was a Butland kick out late in the second half, the wind nearly blew it back into the goal.

I don't think there was any 'with' or 'against' as far as that bloody wind was concerned - it seemed unable to make up its mind from one minute to the next - but from the topography of the ground, the stand we were in was at the East side of the ground, and the wind was predominantly from the West.

That probably explains why it was bloody freezing in the ground.

Just watched the full 90 and I have to say Mascarell was sublime. He was always in picture shot, he was always looking to move the ball and he was always putting himself behind the ball in case of an attack. He looks fully integrated into the system and was able to read the other Derby players running off him. Excellent, excellent performance. The best DM performance we've had of the season.

Ratings:

Butland - 7 - Did what he had to do. He has such a presence in his area, which is great to see. 

Christie - 8 - A few minor slip ups, but offered a constant threat down the right side and defended reasonably well when asked. 

Keogh - 6 - Not a night for centre-backs. He played with the ball quite well but the ball bounced too much in the area for me. Ishmael Miller had too much of a free reign, also.

Shotton - 6 - Great with the ball, not so much without it. I think he made one or two mistakes which could have, probably should have, been costly. 

Forsyth - 6 - I think his new role to play deeper has affected his impact on games, he's not the most incisive player in the world. However, he does defend very well. They didn't get much out of him.

Mascarell - 9 - Easily the best DM performance of the season. He was everything you want: He protected the backline from being caught out down the middle. Blackpool had minor success down the wings but they were well shut out by Mascarell in the middle. Passing, vision, ability.. all great.

Hughes - 7 - I thought he was very good first-half, slowed in the second. 

Hendrick - 7 - always looked menacing and tried for an opener. It didn't happen for him, but still, it was a good performance.

Ibe - 4 - A torrid month so far for Ibe. This was his worst performance to date, he had absolutely no luck and lost the ball far too much for my liking.

Russell - 8 - A huge, huge threat. He always looked to be the man that was going to get us the win in attack. He did emphatically with a clever run.

Martin - 6 - He was mobbed out the game, really. A great penalty, but it wasn't his best performance.

Best - 5 - Busy but indecisive.

Bryson - 6 - tried to make stuff happen, but didn't get long enough.  

My take on the game anyway. 

Mascarell is a sure fire must for Saturday's game. 

I'd agree with most of that Ambitious. Maybe I'd lower Mascarell as I thought he was good. A solid good rather than exceptional. There wasn't much more he could have done to shine as he wasn't really called to do any great task. His corners were the best we've seen since last time he took them.

Ibe was near useless.

Wouldn't say we were lucky or it was a poor performance. It was just that final move that kept going wrong. A bad touch by Hendrick or Hughes. Poor play by Ibe. Stuff like that. Clearly the better side.

Their chances came from lucky bounces from set pieces or Ishmael Miller who again gave us a hard time. I still don't understand why he's not lived up to the promise he once had. He's decent in everything. Is it his attitude?

In between the boxes we were miles ahead of them. For actual chances it was a bit more even. So credit to Miller. Bit of help from the odd bit of unconvincing defending. Hughes and Hendrick were good but for that final move it just didn't happen for them. And then there was Ibe who I'd agree with Ambitious rating of 4.

Their chances came from lucky bounces from set pieces or Ishmael Miller who again gave us a hard time. I still don't understand why he's not lived up to the promise he once had. He's decent in everything. Is it his attitude?

He would definitely do well in good team, playing similarly to Martin. So far only good team he has been is Man City where he was way too young. And he has had his share of injuries too.

it looks it to me.

Lucky? Not really. Blackpool had a couple of very good chances in the first half, but after they spurned those, a Derby win was inevitable, and we dominated the second half from start to finish. Even in the first half Russell missed one which was every bit as good (ok, nearly as good) as the one Delfouneso popped over the bar.

The penalty was absolutely nailed on - right in front of us, Russell was definitely taken out, and the defender didn't make any sort of song and dance about it at all. Linesman, ref, 1600 Derby fans and the Blackpool defence all agreed - stonewall penalty.

What probably didn't come over on the highlights was just how strong the wind was - it definitely favoured Blackpool's 'lump it up to Miller' game and it did Derby's passing game no favours at all.

Regarding Miller, he impresses me every time I see him - big, strong, powerful and a decent touch too. 

Archived