Neil Lennon new Bolton Wanderers manager

CumbrianRam

Former Celtic boss Neil Lennon has been named as the manager of Championship bottom side Bolton Wanderers.

Lennon, 43, out of work since leaving Celtic in May after four years in charge, succeeds Dougie Freedman, who left the Trotters earlier this month.

The Northern Irishman officially takes over at Bolton on Monday, with his first match in charge being Saturday's trip to Birmingham City.

Lennon led Celtic to three league titles and two Scottish Cups and took them to the Champions League last 16.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29589068

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big challenge for Lennon this, as he could be on a hiding to nothing. Keeping them up will be an achievement in itself, because the squad is so poor. I think he will keep them up, because he will scare a good many in the team to raise their game. Can't really see though that he can achieve much more than keeping them up for the next couple of years given the parlous state of the finances, and therefore it is an odd "take" for him. I am not a Lennon fan, really only because of his playing days, but the guy has balls standing up to the sectarianism in Glasgow, and accepting a job that looks a lot like a poison chalice. On balance I wish him luck.

Somewhat surprising,but I think he will do a good job at the Macron.Granted,not too much talent to really work with but in his time he has proven apt at getting very good games from average players for the most part.

Will be interesting to see if he can lead Bolton into a good direction for their team.

I am not his biggest fan either, but his time at Celtic was very good imo and I think he will do a good job with Bolton.

Celtic had lots of money in a pub league.

Don't rate Lennon at all as a manager but his arrival might create a 'honeymoon period' where they start producing results so who knows...

I find it difficult to work out how anybody can form any opinion of Lennon as a manager. He's only had the one senior position, and  that was in a one-team league. Did he do well? Did he do badly? Hard to say. 

It's a classic 'only time will tell' situation.

Bolton are almost as much in the poo as Portsmouth.

The difference is that they have a relatively benign creditor - like Doughty at Forest.

They possibly feel that the current players are under performing and that they need a rottweiler to snap at their ankles.

But in reality they need to clear the decks, cut costs, and find a manager who can pull rabbit after rabbit after rabbit out of the hat.

Its certainly a very different job to managing Celtic.

Archived