Shaun Barker leaving?

DcFc Dyycheee

Neither do I, fair play play to the chap he's given it a real go I just can't see him making it back.

I agree. I wish him the best of luck in his career or what he does in life and am impressed with how upbeat he is, but him being a part of the Derby squad again? Don't really see it.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He injured his knee playing for us. A REAL knee. He's had an actual injury.

This isn't fifa where you just terminate an artificial contract of an artificial player who doesn't come with an artificial life with artificial family.

The guy played for Derby and got injured doing that. He's done everything he can to get back. Doing stuff on the side has not put his comeback at risk. He'd rather be back in with the lads. That's what he misses. Being "one of the lads". Not just about money and football.

It might sound great to call him into the office and say "alright Shaun, I know you've ****** your actual leg up but Steve from Allestree bought two replica shirts and doesn't want to see his

No idea why I'm replying, having proved you wrong on the other thread but anyway..

Here's a question for you; Why, after over 30 something months, numerous visits to the US, contract extensions, hours upon hours spent at Moor Farm and with just SIX months remaining on Barkers contract, would you decide to pay him off all of a sudden- Instead of let his contract run down and have done with the whole matter? Without payoffs or anything alike.

I don't see how you can even debate the issue.

You contridict yourself also by stating "oh its hard for him to quit, he loves football..."

Then later " I think he's started to plant the seeds of a new career on the side too. He's been involved in his fashion, music and punditry as well."

Hardly 100% commitment to getting back on the pitch is it?

Dean Ashton and Fabrice Muamba didn't have any issues of quitting the game and stalled on the idea for over two years.

Wish I could have so many career options like Barker, bloody hell.

Muamba went into cardiac arrest in the middle of a match and to continue playing would have put his overall health at serious risk.

Slightly different situation to Barker wouldn't you say?     

No idea why I'm replying, having proved you wrong on the other thread but anyway..

Here's a question for you; Why, after over 30 something months, numerous visits to the US, contract extensions, hours upon hours spent at Moor Farm and with just SIX months remaining on Barkers contract, would you decide to pay him off all of a sudden- Instead of let his contract run down and have done with the whole matter? Without payoffs or anything alike.

I don't see how you can even debate the issue.

You contridict yourself also by stating "oh its hard for him to quit, he loves football..."

Then later " I think he's started to plant the seeds of a new career on the side too. He's been involved in his fashion, music and punditry as well."

Hardly 100% commitment to getting back on the pitch is it?

Dean Ashton and Fabrice Muamba didn't have any issues of quitting the game and stalled on the idea for over two years.

Wish I could have so many career options like Barker, bloody hell.

"Don't know why I'm replying" >>> writes essay in reply :p

You didn't prove me wrong, we both just have different opinions on the whole Shaun Barker thing. You err on the side of business and logicality, I'm more on the sentimentality side. Your post didn't make me change my mind - I just couldn't be bothered to reply in all honesty.

My issue this time around was with you obviously agreeing with mcsilks about his braveness. By all means, have an opinion about him still being on the books but questioning his character is really harsh. Like I say, quitting would have been the easy way out.

At the minute, his side-projects are hobbies. He can't train for 24 hours everyday, he has other things in his life. My point was that these "hobbies" could quite easily be turned into actual jobs if he so wished. Up until now though, he's still focused on his football and they remain simply as hobbies.

Aston - A England international, playing premiership football aged 26 when retired.

Barker - No caps, more serious a injury to that of Aston's, playing in the second division and aged 32.

Which of the two would you attempt to get through the injuries and have a longer successful career?

Who can blame Ashton for the "failed comebacks"? He still scored the goals to keep West Ham up and actually managed a competitive game of football, more than Barkers done since March 2012.

Both.

Until ruled out by medical staff or they give up. If Ashton's doctor or Ashton himself didn't make that decision and the decision was made by the club to dump him then I'll be surprised.

Nobody has told Barker he won't ever play again.

He's been told he will struggle to play at this pace, this often without injections/medical support. That playing with injections brings a whole new set of problems that likely go beyond his playing days.

He's not been ruled out by anyone. Just told that it will be an immense battle. He's chosen to go for it.

Did Ashton? Did Muamba? I don't know.

I'd actually say the lower down the pyramid you get the more you can understand players trying to continue rather than the other way around.

He injured his knee playing for us. A REAL knee. He's had an actual injury.

This isn't fifa where you just terminate an artificial contract of an artificial player who doesn't come with an artificial life with artificial family.

The guy played for Derby and got injured doing that. He's done everything he can to get back. Doing stuff on the side has not put his comeback at risk. He'd rather be back in with the lads. That's what he misses. Being "one of the lads". Not just about money and football.

It might sound great to call him into the office and say "alright Shaun, I know you've sausaged your actual leg up but Steve from Allestree bought two replica shirts and doesn't want to see his

Kiss his arse, build him a statue and extend his current deal by a decade or two then.

Fook me he's 32, he can barely kick a ball and has six months on his current deal remaining. He's picked up a decent wage for the past two and a half years whilst others struggle to get by day to day.

You lot talk like he's going sit on the dole for the rest of his life if he dare to quit football.

Lucky ******* if anything. If he doesn't play again he's still got the punditry, the fashion, the music, the arts...

Why we originally extended his contract, without knowing a estimated return date I'll never know.

Still no return date either, despite supposedly being able to feature in a pre season game (which never happened).

Kiss his arse, build him a statue and extend his current deal by a decade or two.

Fook me he's 32, he can barely kick a ball and has six months on his current deal remaining. He's picked up a decent wage for the past two and a half years whilst others struggle to get by day to day.

You lot talk like he's going sit on the dole for the rest of his life if he dare to quit football.

Lucky sausage if anything. If he doesn't play again he's still got the punditry, the fashion, the music, the arts...

Why we originally extended his contract, without knowing a estimated return date I'll never know.

Still no return date either, despite supposedly being able to feature in a pre season game (which never happened).

You have no soul.

Kiss his arse, build him a statue and extend his current deal by a decade or two then.

Lucky sausage if anything. If he doesn't play again he's still got the punditry, the fashion, the music, the arts...

From a business point of view, you're right. Everything you said is the rational choice and I can completely understand your thinking. However, I'm glad we stood by him. We're a proper football club and I want us to behave in a proper manner

You have no soul.

Everything I've stated is true though.

Was a good player prior to injury I'm not doubting that, but why have him contracted to the club at this present day? He's not returning, he can barely run for Christ sake and he's getting no younger.

So what does he bring what nobody else does?

Was a good player prior to injury I'm not doubting that, but why have him contracted to the club at this present day? He's not returning, he can barely run for Christ sake and he's getting no younger.

Because a human being got hurt for the football club you support, playing a game designed for your entertainment. As fans we owe him our support back.

Or just pay him his revised wages while he goes through the several set backs he's had.

We have no idea how much money he has. Don't see why it's relevant to be honest. But you are talking like the club will be shut down if we carry on paying him

He wants to carry on being a footballer. He's used his reputation etc to get into other things. What's wrong with that? Would you be happier if he was just sat at home? He's creating opportunities for himself but wants to play football. Maybe he doesn't want to do the other things as badly as he wants to play. Maybe he doesn't want to go from

Here's a question, would a fully fit Shaun Barker get in our team? Personally, I don't think so. Never rated him that highly and I think Keogh, Buxton, Whitbread and possibly Shotton are better options.

I don't think he would get in the side tbh. Distribution was never that great.

But still, you can't treat a good player's injury any different from a bad player.

Does it do any harm at all? Are you begrudging the few pence out of your ticket that ends up in his pocket? He put his body on the line against the Florists in helping to stop Tudgay scoring, and has been paying for it ever since.

He is probably an inspiration to the younger players at the club.

Again, what does a 32 year old who can't kick a ball or barely run bring to the club? Nobody has yet to answer.

Money argument(s) aside.

I could have told you a year ago he wouldn't return, I had slight hope when it was mentioned he could make a cameo in a pre season - never happened and no mention since of a ten mintue appearance for the u21s.

There's no rough date for him to return, which considering he's got six or seven (?) months remaining on his deal isnt veey overwhelming.

So what does Shaun Barker bring to Derby County this present day? Explain folks, we managed absolutely fine last season, arent so bad this.

I Respect him and admire his determination, but my god he's not dead he will go on and live his life and live happily ever after.

Not sure who is wasting more energy here - Barker trying to overcome a cruel, but horrendous injury - or everybody on here arguing the case to give him more time. He has been out 31 months and counting, and nothing suggests he will be back in the next few months. Can anyone name me one player in this country who has ever, ever started playing again after a 3 year injury break from the game? I think the club should honour his contract, do what they can do if there is some insurance provision that can be exploited, and give him a job in the club if, and only if, he has a talent which would be beneficial for the continued regeneration of this club.

Why do you come across so bitter?

Why do you come across so bitter?

Are you his agent or something? You seem to crop up with any mention of "Barker".

Why do you not see we are wasting time on a player who won't play football ever again? One year out the game fair enough, but two and a half is ludicris to even suggest he will return.

If say Will Hughes got the exact injury, at least he would have age on his side. Whereas Barker simply doesn't.

Archived