Giant Spiders

Papahet

If you have a phobia, beware as they are invading homes in and around Derbyshire.

I stayed at my parents in Belper for the weekend and saw the biggest spider I've ever seen (without visiting a zoo). I wish I'd have taken a picture to show I'm not exaggerating, but as you can imagine I was kinda pooping myself and more concerned how to get rid of the mothertrucker.

The next day I checked on the Telegraph site and it states they are coming to homes in Derbyshire, sadly they've already come if this is anything to go by.

Being in Norfolk, you often get harvest spiders making a regular visit, but I have never seen anything the size of this beast especially in Derbyshire.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You've got to love the small-mindedness of local media. I have to do a lot of media monitoring for my work and it's unreal how every single area of the UK claims theirs is unique in having large spiders this autumn...

There was a mild winter, followed by a mild summer, followed by a warm September. That's perfect feeding conditions for spiders, and they're going to look huge everywhere in the UK.

If you smoke in your house you'll be fine - apparently house spiders hate tobacco.

We've had some pearlers in here, one ambled round the corner towards me in me kitchen the other day. I swore loudly first then dropped me Hairy Bikers cook book on it. They sorted it out no messing.

Conkers are a natural deterrent to spiders....a few in each window sill, should stop any coming in....they just don't seem to like them for some reason...

Doesn't deal with any that have got already in though...

They do like conkers, it's just that the Health and Safety brigade have stopped them from playing with them

We've had a couple of massive bleeders in our living room.Bigger than any we've seen before.

Also got one in our tent when we went to Cromer. I threw it out as far as I could and I saw it land and run away.It was soooo big I watched it running for ages before it got too small to see. :o

P.S I also blame Boycie  :ph34r:  :D

• 4 weeks later...

Archived