Undervalued and Underpriced Players

Posh Ram

This is basically a counter-thread to americanram's one - which players do you feel are undervalued for their contribution to a team? Which deals this summer strike you as a real bargain (including free transfers)?

Nathaniel Clyne doesn't get enough praise for me. He's a good English right-back whose still young but with good Premier League experience - and yet Glenn Johnson and Phil Jones are considered to be better options by Hodgson, crazy.

On a world-class level, Busquets is undervalued for me. He's not technically gifted, he's not very creative and he doesn't stand out in a Barca team with Messi, Suarez, Neymar etc. But he enables them to play well... a bit like Eustace did for us last season (he's nothing compared to Thorne mind :D)

Robert Lewandowski on a free to Bayern has got to be the bargain of the summer. Quality player, proven goalscorer in the Bundesliga and on the world stage so Bayern needn't worry about settling him in to a new division - plus, in signing him, they've severely weakened their closest challengers Dortmund, although Immobile might prove to be a good replacement.

I also think that Alen Halilovic could prove a bargain for Barcelona, even at such a young age. 2 million is nothing for them and he could be worth so much more than that in only a couple of years' time. If so, they've secured the services of a world class player who could lead the side for years to come. If he doesn't live up to his potential, then they've only lost 2 million, which, as I say, is only a drop in the ocean for a club of their stature.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nathaniel Clyne doesn't get enough praise for me. He's a good English right-back whose still young but with good Premier League experience - and yet Glenn Johnson and Phil Jones are considered to be better options by Hodgson, crazy.

Don't rate Clyne. And I'm fairly certain you're just saying this because you watched him in the game against Liverpool the other day. He has no defensive brain.

On a world-class level, Busquets is undervalued for me. He's not technically gifted.

Surprised you think that buddy, as he's incrediby technically gifted. His first touch, vision, ball control and one touch passing is as good as any defensive midfielder in the world - although I agree with your point, very underrated.

I think Marco Reus for 25m euros (his reported release clause) is an abolsute steal as bid-named players go.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic was very underrated by the English press, and probably still is in fairness. Though he was perhaps overrated by Barca, never worth the deal plus Eto'o that they paid for him.

Aubameyang was a steal for Dortmund at 10m. I couldn't believe someone like Arsenal or Spurs didn't go in for him.

Demichelis is probably the most underrated player in the PL. Yes he obviously struggles against pace and he took so much flak for his struggles against Messi. Why exactly? Everyone struggles against Messi. His performances towards the end of the season were great and I'm glad he won the PL. He was also excellent for Argentina at the World Cup.

Surprised you think that buddy, as he's incrediby technically gifted. His first touch, vision, ball control and one touch passing is as good as any defensive midfielder in the world - although I agree with your point, very underrated.

I think Marco Reus for 25m euros (his reported release clause) is an abolsute steal as bid-named players go.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic was very underrated by the English press, and probably still is in fairness. Though he was perhaps overrated by Barca, never worth the deal plus Eto'o that they paid for him.

Aubameyang was a steal for Dortmund at 10m. I couldn't believe someone like Arsenal or Spurs didn't go in for him.

Demichelis is probably the most underrated player in the PL. Yes he obviously struggles against pace and he took so much flak for his struggles against Messi. Why exactly? Everyone struggles against Messi. His performances towards the end of the season were great and I'm glad he won the PL. He was also excellent for Argentina at the World Cup.

Yeah maybe that was the wrong wording by me, as you say he's very technically gifted for a DM, but I think his real skill is allowing the stars of this Barcelona team to shine, whilst doing the hard work. That's what sets him apart as perhaps the best defensive midfielder in the world.

Agree with what you've said, particularly on Demichelis. He's good enough to force Nastasic, a defender with great potential and who looked ok in the Man City first team at such a young age, out of the set-up and he is now available for transfer. Personally I could see him going to Dortmund if Hummels leaves.

I think the same about Clyne.  I've been quite impressed with him since he broke through at Palace, he seems to have progressed quite nicely and has settled into the PL.  Don't understand how he goes unnoticed and would like to see him given a call up by Hodgson if he carries on progressing at the same rate this year.

Yeah, Busquets is technically unbelievably good (check out videos on his passing under pressure) and Lewandowski was far from cheap, his wages are astronomical and remember signing on fees etc, his agent will be no mug.

My pick would be Barry, always undervalued at City. As important for them as Carrick was for United. He's got the appreciation he deserves at Everton.

Archived