Kris Commons

t'oldu

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Consistency in Scotland means pretty much nothing? :lol:

If you don't rate the SPL that's fair enough but comments like that are just ridiculous, consistency at any level means everything.

Also how are you working out that 10 SPL goals = 5/6 Championship goals?

Being consistent at a low level isn't really worth considering, particularly when we're not actually watching him week in, week out. Here is a breakdown of his seasons at Celtic:

13/14: 34 games @ 80'/game, 0.862 g/90, 0.365 a/90

12/13: 27 games @ 73'/game, 0.502 g/90, 0.547 a/90

11/12: 24 games @ 55'/game, 0.068 g/90, 0.821 a/90

10/11: 11 games @ 69'/game, 1.020 g/90, 0.371 a/90

He has hit purple patches before, he has hit purple patches with us before. He had a good season, no doubt about that, but there's plenty of players at Championship level and other levels who have hit form at is just as impressive.

It doesn't matter what level you play at being consistent is important and is worth considering, Commons has been the most consistent player for Celtic, he didn't win those awards for just being top goalscorer.

I've watched Celtjc a fair amount last season and it's not hard to see why he's a fan favourite.

Compare players all you like but there are too many variables and 10 SPL goals does not equal 5/6 Championship goals, it just doesn't.

There's more to football than stats, again you can give your goals and assists to game ratios all you like but they don't show a true reflection of just how important a player is to a team.

Commons plays a major part in the Celtic team, just because he doesn't get the goal or assist doesn't mean he wasn't involved with other goals, be in playing the ball for the assist or creating space by dragging defenders out of position.

People on here have love ins over SPL players in the suggestion thread, none of them have a good a record as Commons and people still want us to pay good money for them.

Commons move to Celtic was good for him, got to win silverware, got to in CL Camp Nou, San Siro, heck even was part of a team that got a win against Barcelona and reached the knockout stages.

Maybe, now he wants to test himself at PL, don't blame him. After all we could have done down in 2011, if it wasn't for his part and goals in the autumn of 2010.

I wish assist stats were banned, for instance players can got an assist for a knock-back for a 30 yard screamer, whilst players can make mazy runs and not got an assist because the player the passed too were poor at shooting or passed to someone else.

OPTA stats are overrated and sick of the constant coverage they get,

It doesn't matter what level you play at being consistent is important and is worth considering, Commons has been the most consistent player for Celtic, he didn't win those awards for just being top goalscorer.

I've watched Celtjc a fair amount last season and it's not hard to see why he's a fan favourite.

Compare players all you like but there are too many variables and 10 SPL goals does not equal 5/6 Championship goals, it just doesn't.

There's more to football than stats, again you can give your goals and assists to game ratios all you like but they don't show a true reflection of just how important a player is to a team.

Commons plays a major part in the Celtic team, just because he doesn't get the goal or assist doesn't mean he wasn't involved with other goals, be in playing the ball for the assist or creating space by dragging defenders out of position.

McCormack literally carried Leeds to safety this last season, yet some even on here questioned how consistent he was long term.

Commons had a great season, but to completely neglect the numbers and just point blank reject that when you average out players between the SPL and Championship, it's pretty clear that the standard for goalscoring is considerably lower there, then you're just ignoring the facts on that side. A handful of games generally isn't worth talking about either, but having long term statistics can be a very useful indicator when considered carefully.

All considered though, Commons would literally need to be a genuine star end player in the Premier League for a

You still can't get away from the stats can you? It's not just one season, he's been a key player since his arrival.

You don't have to be the player to get the assist, you can run the full length of the pitch, take on 10 players by yourself, pass to a striker or gives a cheeky back heel to a player yet to score in front of an open goal.

Where's the stat that gives you the credit for beating 10 men?

He's been very good up there but no surprise really, for instance Callum Ball signing on to play for St Mirren shows the kind of level its at, most of the teams are below Championship level I'd say.

Most definitely below the championship level. Celtic may as well engrave their name on the SPL trophy now. Phoney league phoney rewards.

You still can't get away from the stats can you? It's not just one season, he's been a key player since his arrival.

You don't have to be the player to get the assist, you can run the full length of the pitch, take on 10 players by yourself, pass to a striker or gives a cheeky back heel to a player yet to score in front of an open goal.

Where's the stat that gives you the credit for beating 10 men?

Assists aren't the problem, numerically he's been "consistent" on that front (not to be confused with performance consistency, which is another idea entirely).

The key note is what he is exactly doing up there will always be in the context of a player playing in a low standard league. The Scottish Premier in terms of standard is somewhere around mid-lower League One level on average, and having a "good player" at that level means very little. Teams have gambled time and time again on these players, and they tend to land flat on their faces, particularly in the fans eyes.

We know Commons is a quality player, we saw that here. On his day he's a world beater of a player, and can single handedly shape a game, but he's equally the kind of player who when out of touch was just anonymous, but down right useless. We tended to see less of that towards the end of his time here, but what I've heard was that it crept into his play here and there at Celtic (though I'm not sure whether to trust my source on that or not). What we do know however is that the numbers speak very clearly that he's done well in terms of the flashy scoreboard impact in the last season, and quite well overall, a bit better than the average Championship to SPL player.

Commons is the kind of player who even during his time here looked capable of Premier League football, but ultimately he's can't be the whole and sole focal point of a team. He's too susceptible to form slump and injury, though to his credit they are normally minor issues. What's more is that whilst for a Championship side he's very good (read: worldy at SPL level) that doesn't mean much in the step up to the Premier League.

Now take into account that he's not a young lad anymore, he's firmly coming to the end of his "prime", now the wrong side of 30. I honestly don't think age will be Commons' biggest issue, he's not a pacey player, he's not about the running, agility and such, but for a player with a history of "tight hamstrings" as we called them here there has to be some question marks.

I'm not saying Commons' isn't a Premier League class player, what I am saying however is that he's not a

Albert I love your tenacity and reasoning and I am behind you all the way, but Daveo is winding you up IMO to drive you to ever lengthening replies. Do one of those clever graphics you do so well to make it clear he should just go away and then let the keyboard and calculator cool down for a while.

He's the big signing at Forest.

Someone told Fawaz "international striker from one of Europe's top clubs, known to be a Forest fan, just the thing to win them all round to you again" The fee is believed to be a swap deal for the Al-hamidi oil refinery.

Unfortunately, his signing means the food budget would take them outside of FFP again, so Andy Reid will be sold to Greggs.

#ITK

He is Celtic's best player and potentially the difference between them going out of Europe by finishing fourth in the CL group stages or getting into Europa by finishing 3rd.

They've already been knocked out of the Champions League.

Arent they almost out of Europe already?

Need to overturn a 4-1 deficit tomorrow I think against Legia Warsaw

Legia has great team this year. No chance for Celtic, I'd say. They could and should have won the first leg by 5-6.

Archived