San Taylor: Rodgers denies deal done for Hughes to join Liverpool

Scott129

Sean Taylor @SEANTAYLORpress 6m

Brendan Rogers on Will Hughes: `I read we'd put in & something had been agreed. Nothing is further from the truth` #dcfc #dcfcfans

Sean Taylor @SEANTAYLORpress 5m

Brendan Rogers on Will Hughes: `He's a wonderful talent who just needs to play. He's probably at the best place he could be` #dcfc #dcfcfans

Sean Taylor @SEANTAYLORpress 4m

Brendan Rogers very sympathetic towards Will Hughes & feels speculation becoming unfair on the teenager. More now on @PressAssocSport wire

I reckon we've got him for at least another year judging by those comments, even if it's only on a loan back. The second tweet is perhaps the most telling.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers has denied reports he has made a bid for Will Hughes and says the midfielder should remain at Derby County for the time being.

Recent reports have claimed the Reds have won the race to sign the precocious England Under-21 international, beating off competition from Manchester United and Arsenal in the process.

However, Rodgers insists such speculation is wide of the mark and believes the player's development would be best served by remaining at Pride Park.

He said: "I never say anything normally, but I feel for this guy. [He's] very talented but no-one's doing him any favours by linking him to us

"I read something had been agreed but [there is] nothing further from the truth, Hughes is a good player but there's been no bid or anything. He's at the best place he could be."

Hughes, 18, made his debut for Derby back in 2011 and has become a key figure for the East Midlands side over the last two seasons. - http://talksport.com/football/rodgers-denies-liverpool-have-agreed-deal-derby-starlet-13112168984?

Maybe journalists can stop telling lies about him for a week?

Isn't there other sections of the forum you can make up interesting stories from? Fook off you vile parasites. Haven't you got to milk 'Arry's prostate or summat?

Next month we'll create a thread on Danny Bujis again and you can run that. You want shutting down. You ruin players, you ruin the national team, you ruin managers and you don't have to answer to fook all.

Rogers is right. He's 18. He's good. He's not a 'wonderkid' any more than Xavi or John Eustace. He's what he is. Let him be ffs. He doesn't play for England's first team or Liverpool. Let him play for Derby.

Have we signed Owen?

Is Nige at Forest?

Lol.

Try the FM 2014 thread. Some great 'sources'

Alternatively, chuck yourself under a train.

Maybe journalists can stop telling lies about him for a week?

Isn't there other sections of the forum you can make up interesting stories from? Fook off you vile parasites. Haven't you got to milk 'Arry's prostate or summat?

Next month we'll create a thread on Danny Bujis again and you can run that. You want shutting down. You ruin players, you ruin the national team, you ruin managers and you don't have to answer to fook all.

Rogers is right. He's 18. He's good. He's not a 'wonderkid' any more than Xavi or John Eustace. He's what he is. Let him be ffs. He doesn't play for England's first team or Liverpool. Let him play for Derby.

Have we signed Owen?

Is Nige at Forest?

Lol.

Try the FM 2014 thread. Some great 'sources'

Alternatively, chuck yourself under a train.

Couldn't agree more with this. I don't know how 'journalists' get away with making so much stuff up, it's ridiculous.

Obviously the football gossip stuff is nothing compared to the phone hacking disgrace but the press are the first to jump on 'failure' yet they constantly set people up to fall and then dance around with glee at other people's misfortune.

On Hughes, the kid needs to be left alone to continue to develop, it's good he's in the U21 set-up but no-one needs to rush anything, if he's still on track in 12-18 months then people can start to get a bit more excited but at the moment he's just a very talented boy. We've seen a lot of them over the years and only a handful have gone onto really make it.

He has intelligence, an excellent football brain and maturity on his side at the moment, hopefully those traits will continue to stand him in good stead.

He needs to stop being a show-pony. Zaha is a player of immense natural talent - but football is more than tricks. Sometimes the easy option is the best one. If he watched a montage of an hour of Hughes and learned from it, he would be twice the player.

people used to same about Ronaldo; one day we will stop trying to make English players do things that arent in their game and let them concentrate on what they are good at.

Until then we will continue to knock the skill out of them and produce a continuous line of james milners.

Bet he's lovin it really though.

He's just gonna say what the fans want to hear.

Probably. Which is exactly why it's bad for him.

This is what our media do. They'll convince him he's made it.

'Oh Barca have a dossier on me'

'Oh Liverpool rate me at £12m'

'Wenger and Moyes want me'

'Im the most promising young player in the top 4 divisions'

Even if he's a down to earth lad all the garbage will get through to him. How could it not? This is what our media do. Build him up to levels players can't reach and then either rip them down or the hang them up there for us lot to question their bloated pay packets and over hype.

I hate our media. I'd rather they report news than gossip. We know what Hughes is and how he compares. I hate it that they take it too far and then sell this **** back to us as news.

They fooked England up with their golden generation talk. Now they've already got Barkley, Wilshere, Zaha, Hughes and Sterling winning a World Cup.

Myself I sit picking holes in Zaha because of how they have him on a pedestal before he's achieved owt. The exact same will be happening to Hughes. He'll get shot down. Or he'll flop with his inflated price tag. Or he'll think he's made it.

His chances of meeting the expectations are slim because they are so high!

So many pitfalls.

Think this is huge to our chances of keeping will for a while. He's that highly coveted now that I could only see him leaving for one of the top six clubs, Chelsea, spurs, man city, man utd, Liverpool and arsenal. Spurs and Chelsea have never been linked to my knowledge. Brendan rogers talks down liverpools chances today, arsenal have an abundance of midfield talent and other areas require strengthening first, united need an instant midfielder rather than a prospect plus zaha may have scared them off a little of these type of deals. Which leaves city who have the best squad in the league and also don't need him as such.

Until one of these clubs desperately wants will then I think he'll stay here. Not sure any other clubs can afford £12m as an investment for the future. All about instant returns in the premiership. Hopefully see another 18 months with derby, by which time he'll be 20 and much more ready to move.

I'd put money on Hughes being in the first England squad after the world cup as well. Lampard, carrick, gerrard all potentially retiring and Hughes is the future. Another abject failure from England and we'll look to build to the future.

Hopefully see another 18 months with derby, by which time he'll be 20 and much more ready to move.

I'd put money on Hughes being in the first England squad after the world cup as well. Lampard, carrick, gerrard all potentially retiring and Hughes is the future. Another abject failure from England and we'll look to build to the future.

Agreed. A lot of players who will say that's it after Brazil 2014 especially in midfield. I see him playing for Derby until the end of next season. The question is will he still be a Derby player, or on loan. The club should resist any bids and keep hold of him for 18 odd months. If we have failed to gain promotion at this point I wouldn't blame him for leaving or the club for selling. He is pretty much guaranteed to play every game for us. We can only speculate but I am sure he would love to get promoted with us and have a go at PL football with us, instead of simply joining a top 6 team to sit around or play the odd game. 

Play offs this year with the Rams. 

Dear Will

Sorry if it feels like I’m stalking you, but I’m not.  Honest.  

I am prompted to write this second letter by Brendan Rogers’ comments about you today and the continuing gossip about your moving to Liverpool in the New Year.  You didn’t reply to my first letter (on page 6 if you haven’t seen it) but I know you’ve been busy this last few weeks.  Well done on the goal at Shrewsbury by the way.

Mr Rogers says that you are very talented but that Liverpool haven’t signed you, nor  even made an offer.  He’s right on the first point.  

One modern day problem, in my view, is that no one trusts anything anyone says any more. Its caused I think, by a mix of the internet allowing free rein to conspiracy theories, the media’s own creativity as well as the manipulation of it by others (aka spin) and the cumulative effect of the behaviour of a range of people in ‘authority’ over the years.  So there will be many who simply don’t believe that Rogers is not interested, or that a deal has not already been done, whatever he says. There will be others who will believe both Mr Rogers and Mr Rush when they say that there is no deal.  Who knows, Will, who knows?

But if I were managing your career I would be mapping out a very particular strategy aimed at making you a world star, comfortable in the knowledge that you have the  requisite football skills but, even more importantly, because you have ability between your ears and therefore you can go further.  

You see, I don’t believe that messrs Rooney, or Lampard or Gerrard or Cole or any of the many others that have flattered to deceive, are among the ‘greats’ of the game.  Yes they’ve won European Cups (in an era when the competition is deliberately designed to allow a limited range of clubs to win the thing); yes they’ve won Premier League titles (ditto); but they haven’t won a World Cup or a European Championship.  Neither have they performed on the world stage or at a foreign club. They haven’t even delivered consistently high performances at their own club level, season after season (I might excuse Gerrard and Lampard that accusation). They’re good, maybe very good, but they’re not great players. I think you have the potential to be better than they are.

So here’s the plan.

You have three World Cups in you, maybe four.  Forget 2014.  Roy isn’t that kind of manager. But in 2018, 2022 and 2026 you should plan to be in Russia, Qatar and then either an African or American country.  By that time, Will, you will be 31/32.  You might possibly have a fourth in you if you look after yourself. You will aim to take an active part in at least 2022 and 2026.

Same with the Euros.  You were born with good timing Will.  Your age means that you could well get three or four in before you finish, in 2016, 2020, 2024 and maybe 2028. 

You have to be selected and then perform well in those competitions and win domestic trophies to be a great.  Time is on your side.

You’re 18 so you have weaknesses.  You are not strong enough in your upper body; you still drift in and out of games, especially when you are tired after playing a couple in a week but also when you are having a hard game; you need some more acceleration over 5/10 yards; you need to head the ball better and tackle more consistently well; you need to read the game even better than you do, become more consistently accurate with your passing and extend its range; you need to score more goals, have the confidence to take on players, shoot more. 

The thing is – and heres’s the nub of the strategy – where do you best learn and develop all these things in such a way that in three years time you are part of the England first team set up, with the aim that in five years time – the 2018 World Cup - you are a regular part of the squad and possibly the team?

My view, Will, is that you stay where you are for at least two years, preferably three, even if that means extending your contract.  First team football is where you will learn the hard skills you need, not Liverpool reserves, which is where you will be playing if you go there, or Arsenal or any of the others. Learn from your new Head Coach, and his team; do the hard physical graft to change your body; take the rests coming your way if new players allow you breaks that you didn’t get last season; enjoy a club on the up and maybe promotion; enjoy going away with the England set up and do as well as you can with them. In short, learn your trade at club and international level.

Take this time to start planning and training for your post football career too.  Develop your media skills; learn another language (I would suggest Spanish or German) because although you will move from Derby to a club likely to win domestic trophies in England, you will also flourish abroad and at your absolute peak, in your later 20’s, the plan will be to move you elsewhere in Europe, to another top team. By the time of the 2022 World Cup you will be playing abroad and the various competitions of 2022, 2024 and 2026 are going to be the ones where you will become a true ‘great’.

It will be hard work; you will need good fortune and help along the way,  but you can do it.  Like many great things you will have been ‘made in Derby’.

Good luck

Ilkleyram

I like wot Brendan Rogers has said, tho I don't entirely believe it, the kid is a Liverpool fan tho I do believe him to be derby thru and thru, but money talks and football can unfortunately sometimes be a very short career.....agents play on this when dealing with there merchandise.........I'm just gonna enjoy this wonderful talent DERBY COUNTY has developed for as long as possible, I do believe he is going to be pivotal in us gaining or getting heartbreakingingly close to promotion this year, whatever happens I wish the lad all the best for hopefully many years too come and will always remember he's a ram!!!!

people used to same about Ronaldo; one day we will stop trying to make English players do things that arent in their game and let them concentrate on what they are good at.

Until then we will continue to knock the skill out of them and produce a continuous line of james milners.

That's not what I meant.

That's not what I meant.

Fair enough; the Ronaldo comment was the only bit aimed at you :-)

It does amazes me how we try to adapt our English players and knock the natural talent and replace it with tracking back; dont be a show pony etc...

I dont think he is a Moyes type of player and as such may have to adapt his style. It does highlight sometimes the need for younger players to stay at their parent club in order to continue to develop their game

That's not what I meant.

Fair enough; the Ronaldo comment was the only bit aimed at you :-)

It does amazes me how we try to adapt our English players and knock the natural talent and replace it with tracking back; dont be a show pony etc...

I dont think he is a Moyes type of player and as such may have to adapt his style. It does highlight sometimes the need for younger players to stay at their parent club in order to continue to develop their game

Archived