Is Thorne's injury bad news for Hendrick?

sage

If Eustace is playing in the DCM role, we need Hughes in the team for his passing/ball retention. If Bryson is fit you would imagine he would start. Therefore Hendrick would be the one to drop out.

Discuss.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No I think from reports Hendrick has been the most impressive of all the midfielders pre season so pretty sure he would start.

I have a feeling Hughes will play CDM to start with (as he has been trialled there in some of pre-season games) and if it doesn't work we might go back to Eustace (unless we get someone in on loan or some other alternative from within the squad).

I think all three will play. And yes, I'm aware it didn't work when Clough "tried" it but I'm certain it could work. As all of them have at least good footballing brain, clear intsructions what is wanted from players should be enough.

Just don't put them on wing...

I think all three will play. And yes, I'm aware it didn't work when Clough "tried" it but I'm certain it could work. As all of them have at least good footballing brain, clear intsructions what is wanted from players should be enough.

Just don't put them on wing...

Mac did it at Leicester too.

My old man keeps saying Hughes is to 'Lightweight' for the midfield nevermind the DFM position. In my opinion it's due to being fouled more then anything! I would like to see all 3 work but never has... Hopefully we get a quality DFM in as this season if people have being doing there homework were not very good when getting closed down all the time.

Ofc if we get used to that it will leave holes in the opp. team along with tiring them out for the final 10 minutes where well hopefully excel!

Hughes is the most likely to play in the CDM role out of the 3 midfielders.

Hendrick has been tried and tested in that position multiple times and he just doesn't work there. Also, Hendrick's attacking qualities would be missed if he was forced to stay back all the time.

Bryson could theoretically play that role due to being a 'box to box midfielder', however his goals last season all came because he had the freedom to push forward more. He scored some important goals so I doubt it would be him.

Therefore, if we started Bryson, Hendrick and Hughes, Hughes would play the deep role I think. People saying he's ''too lightweight'', that position is as much about ball retention as it is about tackling. We've all seen Hughes' ball control and vision therefore he's more than capable of playing in the holding midfield role. He's also capable of tackling especially slide tackling, he's looked decent in the past.

Hughes can play the holding role against teams that are likely to sit back against us as he can pick the ball up off our centre backs and start our attacks...he did this in the friendly against Notts county.

Against teams away from home or teams who come out at us he won't be disciplined enough to play the role in my opinion which is when Eustace would come into play.

Personally I think Hughes will start in CDM against Rotherham.

Archived