Johnny Russell's best position?

dcfcgodd

He's a brilliant finisher. If Martin gets injured we could try him up front. I remember the belter against Floriest and the chip from the Thorne through ball (Thinking back hope it was Russell who scored that goal!)

It sure was.

It really is a delight to watch, great touch from Keogh, Thorne with the outside of the boot, defence parts like the red sea, Russell with a perfectly timed run, and the deftest of finishes to lift it over the keeper. Too many times you see players just blast it against the keeper.

I really hope he has an injury free season, his form last year was incredible given a fractured leg and a fractured cheekbone. Would love to see him get 15+, my favourite player in a Derby shirt. As for where he plays? Anywhere along the front three. I really think we miss him when he's not on the pitch.

"BtFg5NxCEAAqlXj" alt="BtFg5NxCEAAqlXj">

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching it back I forgot how good the finish and the pass was! Not many would of seen the run and manage to excute the pass.. The finish was even better! If he stays Injury free I think he'll hit double figures :)

In the current formation he should start wide right cutting in on his left foot, he links up well with Martin and from the right he can get score goals like the one vs Leeds...he causes a lot of problems and wins us alot of freekicks when he cuts inside and runs across the pitch with the ball. Hopefully next season he will shoot a bit more as well as there were plenty of times he could have shot but played a pass and he showed against Forest he has a decent long range shot on him!

When teams are sitting back against us or we are going for it late on in games (424) he needs to move more centrally and link up with Martin as like someone mentioned against QPR he casued them no end of problems down the middle. Like I said he does link up well with Martin and would be the perfect player to run off the shoulder of the defenders as Martin drops deeps for the ball...also they linked well for Martins 1st in the Notts Co friendly, Russell with a cute little through ball.

He's a brilliant finisher. If Martin gets injured we could try him up front. I remember the belter against Floriest and the chip from the Thorne through ball (Thinking back hope it was Russell who scored that goal!)

If there's one thing Russell's not brilliant at, it's finishing.

Yeah, he's scored some screamers but there's been several games where he just couldn't hit a barn door. Burnley, Charlton (where he only scored because his shot hit Bryson) and Watford were all games where he missed several gilt-edged chances in each. Not to mention he's missed quite a few penalties.

I reckon he's a proper confidence player and, if he misses an early chance, it affects him for the rest of the game. He'll be a key player for next season though, no doubt.

If there's one thing Russell's not brilliant at, it's finishing.

Yeah, he's scored some screamers but there's been several games where he just couldn't hit a barn door. Burnley, Charlton (where he only scored because his shot hit Bryson) and Watford were all games where he missed several gilt-edged chances in each. Not to mention he's missed quite a few penalties.

I reckon he's a proper confidence player and, if he misses an early chance, it affects him for the rest of the game. He'll be a key player for next season though, no doubt.

3rd highest scorer last season, 9 goals in 26 in an injury hit season, and you're saying he can't finish?

Was unlucky not to have a hat trick tonight.  Great free kick smashed the cross bar, 1 great save, and 1 great block.

I think we are yet to see the best of Johnny Russell...

3rd highest scorer last season, 9 goals in 26 in an injury hit season, and you're saying he can't finish?

Was unlucky not to have a hat trick tonight.  Great free kick smashed the cross bar, 1 great save, and 1 great block.

I think we are yet to see the best of Johnny Russell...

He should have got somewhere nearer 15 in the games he played. I remember more of his misses than I do his goals, to be honest.

Didn't he put one over the bar from a one-on-one tonight as well? Think I saw that on the DCFC Twitter.

But, like I said, will be a key player for us this season.

It sure was.

It really is a delight to watch, great touch from Keogh, Thorne with the outside of the boot, defence parts like the red sea, Russell with a perfectly timed run, and the deftest of finishes to lift it over the keeper. Too many times you see players just blast it against the keeper.

I really hope he has an injury free season, his form last year was incredible given a fractured leg and a fractured cheekbone. Would love to see him get 15+, my favourite player in a Derby shirt. As for where he plays? Anywhere along the front three. I really think we miss him when he's not on the pitch.

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:

My goal of the season. Watched it so many times now.

We play with our wide players quite narrow anyway, which gives our fullbacks the best chance to bomb on, this means that quite often depending on where the ball is we have two up top a lot of the time.

Russell for me is best in that inside right or inside left kind of position finding gaps in defences and getting at fullbacks/cbs.

I hope he stays fit this season as I think there's a chance he'll rival Martin for top goalscorer. He can finish, sometimes he just seems to have a real off day where it doesn't work for him - Burnley at home was a stinker but he keeps getting in the positions, which shows he believes in himself.

It sure was.

:wub::wub::wub:

I would also suggest he is the happiest of our players! Never seen a striker look so happy so often when other of his team mates score.

Archived