Official "Cry and bitch about Keogh" thread.

Tombo

But good leadership is one of his best qualities. Who would you make captain if not Keogh? Bryson is not nearly vocal enough on the pitch. Buxton is our best centre back, but the defence obviously lacked leadership around the turn of the year when Keogh was out. Eustace could do it, but he's not first choice.

Without a doubt Bucko. Inspirational speaker. Centre of the huddle. Natural leader. Crowd favourite.

With Thorne as vice captain. Centre of the pitch, dictates the play, future star.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We cannot take the captaincy off Richard Keogh simply because his risk in one game did not pay off. We're forgetting the hundreds of other times that he holds onto the ball in dangerous positions and calmly plays it out for a good counter attack. In the 89th minute of a playoff final, you want us to abandon all the style that got us there in the first place and resort to "safety first" hoofball? No, we had the man advantage and it was looking like QPR could not deal with us when we played OUR game. They looked as shell-shocked as most teams did last season when we showed the best attack in the league. Keogh was definitely right to try to take that ball down and take the risk. The risk did not pay off. That's unfortunate, because 99 times out of 100 it does pay off when we try that.

For one unfortunate miscontrol, you want to take the captaincy off him? What message does that send to him? If we did that to him, I would expect a transfer request to follow. And I'd let him go. There's no way the club could treat him like that. 

And don't tell me this isn't about Wembley or try to make out that this is a bigger thing because it's NOT. Get over it. We lost.

We cannot take the captaincy off Richard Keogh simply because his risk in one game did not pay off. We're forgetting the hundreds of other times that he holds onto the ball in dangerous positions and calmly plays it out for a good counter attack. In the 89th minute of a playoff final, you want us to abandon all the style that got us there in the first place and resort to "safety first" hoofball? No, we had the man advantage and it was looking like QPR could not deal with us when we played OUR game. They looked as shell-shocked as most teams did last season when we showed the best attack in the league. Keogh was definitely right to try to take that ball down and take the risk. The risk did not pay off. That's unfortunate, because 99 times out of 100 it does pay off when we try that.

For one unfortunate miscontrol, you want to take the captaincy off him? What message does that send to him? If we did that to him, I would expect a transfer request to follow. And I'd let him go. There's no way the club could treat him like that.

And don't tell me this isn't about Wembley or try to make out that this is a bigger thing because it's NOT. Get over it. We lost.

You simply don't read what i write. I have never even spoke about the Wembley mistake. I won't even bother replying if you won't bother reading.

I think that passions get high about Keogh because he is such a popular lad, and I hate to see us squabble over a player that most of us are very proud of, especially when we have so much to be proud of at present.

I personally still rate Keogh, all defenders make mistakes, no one of is unfallible, but I think we're all entitled to view our thoughts.

I wouldn't drop him or lose faith on him as I think it's the worst thing you can do to a player who is currently battling demons, he can still do a handsome job for us.

And for those that have said they can't bear to watch him on the ball anymore, I think that's your problem not his as you've made your mind up he's unreliable you'll no longer see the good from him only the bad.

I say give him a chance.

Personally I think he is a liability. If his silly mistakes continue he could cost us very important points next year. I think we need a stronger CB to partner Bucko and I don't think he should be wearing the captains armband.

I will say, I don't think Keogh should have been given the armband in the first place. But you can't take it off him now he's had it a few years. It's just not fair to do that to any player, not even when we did it to Paul Connolly.

Whoa, hold up a second here.

He wasn't trying to control the ball and play it out, Keogh's mistake WAS an attempted 'hoofed clearance' - one which he didn't manage to get enough power or contact on!

I wish he'd tried to control it!

That's one of the main criticisms of Keogh's play - his clearances, although usually headed, often fail to go more than 15 yards. A lack of strength/power is one of his downfalls! It's one of the reasons why we conceded more headed goals than any other team in 2012/13, and weren't particularly great in that regard last season either.

I rate Keogh. Sure he makes the odd mistake but when he does do a mistake it's a big one! The thing is thoe he tries to play football by bringing the ball out which we rely on our centre halfs to do. Sometimes we require him to run from defense which can be a problem but I see this as a positive.

The amount of times he has done some brilliant blocks,tackles and headers proves his worth. What do you want him to do hoof the ball up or play risky passes which put our midfield under pressure. I enjoy his runs and his selection of passes he has!

Not sure why all the hate..

I don't even get what's being debated here. He's our on field captain, and been very good for us, and a big part of what we achieved last season. A solid player, a good captain and someone who has done well for us over a couple of seasons now.

I don't even understand anyone holding what happened at Wembley against him. We went out there, played our game but as a team it just didn't happen. How anyone blames him is beyond bizarre. When you consider what happened:

- Buxton cross field ball out to the left, picked off easily by a defender and QPR break

- Bryson? tackles to put the ball out for a QPR throw

- Forsyth fails to tackle cleanly and to be honest should have cleared it when he had the chance, and...

- Puts Buxton under pressure who fails to win it

- Cross comes in with numbers in the box for QPR

- Keogh fails to hit it cleanly

It happens, and I wouldn't blame any of them, because they were outstanding this season, and were trying to play it our way from start to finish. We were unlucky, it happens, we now need to go back and finish the job without being on anyone's backs about what happened then.

Archived