ignoring George Thorne 'saga' ...

IlsonDerby

What's the most weird situation's you have come across when playing football manager? Handheld or normal (just specify which you use)

In fact what are people's biggest achievements? 

Any sackings out of the blue?

Do you prefer starting at the bottom and working your way up or starting with a bigger team? 

Anything to talk about something other than George Thorne

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread should really be in entertainment sections... He's talking about Football Manager, Curtains.

Right but he also says anything to talk about other than George Thorne.

Football Manager I've not got an XBOX or whatever you play it on.

Thanks SRG

I took my Werder Bremen and Portsmouth Subbuteo teams to a friends for a game. Werder in my left pocket and Pompey in the right pocket of my nice white shorts (4/6p from British Home Stores). Had a good game (Werder won 3-2) and agreed a game back at my place next day because his father was away and his mother had Uncle Bill coming round to look at her plumbing ahem!!. Unfortunately, I left the teams in my pockets and the maid put my nice white shorts (with a suspicious stain down the back) into the washing machine that afternoon. The colours ran from both teams, I ended up with green, white and blue striped shorts (that didn't start a trend) and two teams that played in all white. We had to play Real Madrid v Leeds United (I was ahead of my time because Leeds played in Blue & Yellow back then). The only player who I knew was definitely on my side was Eishiha. He wasn't an exotic foreign master of the dribble, he just had one eye higher than the other. Confusion rained and we played pre-Dutch total football where everyone could attack and defend together, sometimes 20 outfield players claimed for the same side. My friend got bored with the game and stormed off, promptly fell off his bike and lost his flicking finger in the bike chain never to play Subutteo again. How weird was that?

Andy Appleby is a nutjob on FM14. Sacked me in pre-season in my first year. Didn't even make it to a competitive game. Then I reset the game and in my second season I was in the Premier League and the seasons targets were to reach 4th round of the FA Cup. He called me into a board meeting to have a go at me for going out in the semi finals to Hull... He then said I needed to take 13 points from the next five games or I was sacked. Lost 3-1 to Everton and got the sack. Next 4 games were Leeds, Man City, Norwich and Liverpool. Would have never reached the target in any case.

He seems okay on my current save, but he's prone to insanity sometimes. He expanded the stadium AFTER relegation and we only averaged 27,000 in the Premier League. Then cut my wage budget sharply. Could have saved the stadium money and we would have kept the squad together to go back straight back up to the Premier League... (we went back up anyway)

It's like the opposite of what our board are like in real life.

Already down to 10 men when my keeper got sent off, within 5 mins of my sub keeper being on he also got sent off, both for handball, to then have an injured player that needed to come off, had used all my subs up so spent the last 15 mins with 8 men. Ref had most definitely been paid off. It was a goddamn travesty.

Already down to 10 men when my keeper got sent off, within 5 mins of my sub keeper being on he also got sent off, both for handball, to then have an injured player that needed to come off, had used all my subs up so spent the last 15 mins with 8 men. Ref had most definitely been paid off. It was a goddamn travesty.

Ooh that reminds me of the time 3 of my keepers got injured a week before a playoff final. Mats Morch gave it his best shot bless him, but the strikeforce of Sheffield Wednesday was too strong for him.

Ooh that reminds me of the time 3 of my keepers got injured a week before a playoff final. Mats Morch gave it his best shot bless him, but the strikeforce of Sheffield Wednesday was too strong for him.

Yeah and why do these kind of things always happen during or directly before crucial matches?! It's rigged I tell you, rigged. Saying that I have achieved overwhelming success and I'm currently still the proud manager of Havant and Waterlooville. Before this I was sacked at least 25 times in a row and my mates started calling me Warnock. I'd be in the middle of high powered transfer talks and they'd text me with 'been sacked yet?'. So unsupportive. Bet Fergie never had to put up with this ****.

Yeah and why do these kind of things always happen during or directly before crucial matches?! It's rigged I tell you, rigged. Saying that I have achieved overwhelming success and I'm currently still the proud manager of Havant and Waterlooville. Before this I was sacked at least 25 times in a row and my mates started calling me Warnock. I'd be in the middle of high powered transfer talks and they'd text me with 'been sacked yet?'. So unsupportive. Bet Fergie never had to put up with this ****.

I'm actually not all that good at FM. I was good at FM11, 12 and 13 but I can't do 14. I'm managing Derby and it took two seasons to get promoted to the Premier League, then I got relegated with just 9 wins and a run of 17 losses at one point. Went straight back up in 2nd place in the Championship, and now 11 games in to my return to the Premier League and I have 3 draws and no wins  :(

I just can't inspire a turn around in form. This years FM feels harder than it was before.

Hooray for your 100th post btw

I'm actually not all that good at FM. I was good at FM11, 12 and 13 but I can't do 14. I'm managing Derby and it took two seasons to get promoted to the Premier League, then I got relegated with just 9 wins and a run of 17 losses at one point. Went straight back up in 2nd place in the Championship, and now 11 games in to my return to the Premier League and I have 3 draws and no wins  :(

I just can't inspire a turn around in form. This years FM feels harder than it was before.

Hooray for your 100th post btw

A century! Bob on. Didn't even realize. I think it's a real slog when you hit a bad run of games, morale drops it can be tough to turn around. Then lose a couple of key players or be at a club where moneys tight and you can't get the better quality players in that you need and you end up in a downward spiral. Look forward to FM15 to see if they enhanced any of these probs. Be out about Nov I think.

A century! Bob on. Didn't even realize. I think it's a real slog when you hit a bad run of games, morale drops it can be tough to turn around. Then lose a couple of key players or be at a club where moneys tight and you can't get the better quality players in that you need and you end up in a downward spiral. Look forward to FM15 to see if they enhanced any of these probs. Be out about Nov I think.

I guess it makes it realistic, but it just makes me not want to play the game when you can't turn form around. I put in 80 hours in the space of 2 weeks last month. Now I haven't played it in about a week. Really is a slog...

I guess it makes it realistic, but it just makes me not want to play the game when you can't turn form around. I put in 80 hours in the space of 2 weeks last month. Now I haven't played it in about a week. Really is a slog...

Maybe try a different league? I've managed Championship and Conference and the experience is way different, not easier but different challenges. Conference is tough for lack of money and part time training hours but spend a few years at one club, put some effort into development and you can p*** the league. When I managed Derby I found it tough to manage the players ambitions, and I couldn't stand seeing them lose, decided to stop playing a club I give a s*** about. Too close to home.

Archived