England v Uruguay

Day

Until the Premier League somehow manage to limit the number of foreign players playing in that league, our young players have no chance of playing regularly at the top level. As such, I'd much rather watch an all (or substantially) British Rams squad play in the Championship than a bunch of foreign players in Rams shirts in the Premiership. I know Wanchope, Stimac, Baano, Eranio etc made fantastic contributions for us, but at least we had some Brits among them. Might be contentious but that's how I feel at the minute and that's how I feel when the best Prem teams turn out 90% foreign teams. My father in law is a lifelong Newcastle fan and Alain DePardue and his French foreign legions have no idea what it's about to wear a black and white striped shirt, as the local derby defeats to the Maccams clearly show. Is this a rant? If so, it's over!

Personally I think it should be law that no less than 5 English players have to start each game

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two games two 2-1 defeats, both games we've had most of the ball and they've had most of the chances.

Basically, we've got owned twice. Out-thought and not good enough.

Two games two 2-1 defeats, both games we've had most of the ball and they've had most of the chances.

Basically, we've got owned twice. Out-thought and not good enough.

England's problem is the same one we used to have - teams look at our defence and know that if they shut us out then our defence will gift them chances.

Says a lot about us when Johnson's probably been our best player out of the back four. Baines in particular has been a waste of time.

Midfield a complete letdown again.... Thought Rooney played very well second half

Thought Sturridge was dire, on the deck a lot. And running down blind alleys.

Roll on whatever tin pot competition were in next

Thought Baines had a decent second half to be honest. Much better than he was against Italy at least. Just can't help thinking Terry and Cahill would've been more solid than Cahill and Jagielka...

As for tonight, we weren't great but the ref has had one. Godin definitely should've been off after 30 minutes and, despite there being nothing made of it for some reason, we should've had a pen for that clumsy challenge on Sturridge (Nixon thinks so too  :ph34r:).

Nobody really stepped up. No big performances when we needed them most.

We really need to address the defence issue after this WC, it's just woeful. Baines and Jagielka would certainly get the chop left to me and I'm far from convinced by Cahill.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rooney retires from international football either.... Think the press will probably have bearing on that decision. I wouldn't blame him if he did.

Jagielka is a bang average centre back at best. Terry and Cole would have changed this team but never mind theres no point talking about it now it wont change the result. 

My eyes were already turned to August 9th and Rotherham at home anyways!! Just 51 days!!

Jagielka and Cahill are ok in the rough and tumble of the Prem, its their football intelligence that lets them down....the old art of reading of the game, have we got a CB who can read the game like a Bobby Moore or Colin Todd? Bucko apart, i can't think of one.

Jagielka and Cahill are ok in the rough and tumble of the Prem, its their football intelligence that lets them down....the old art of reading of the game, have we got a CB who can read the game like a Bobby Moore or Colin Todd? Bucko apart, i can't think of one.

I thought Cahill was terrific just a shame about his defensive partner who looked lost and bemused all game.

Smalling and Jones were never realistic choices for CB. The two English CBs we have been doing well this season playing day in day out are Terry and Shawcross and they were nowhere near the England side. Still they both leave a lot to be desired.

I really can't see a cb with the ability to read the game well. Cahill is a "stopper" but he needs a clever player with him. Jack Charlton would have never played for England if he hadn't got Bobby Moore alongside him.

Is there an englishman out there capable of doing it? 

Archived