Woman dies at wheel updating Facebook status

froggg

A woman has died after losing control of the car she was driving and crashing into an oncoming truck while she was updating her Facebook status. 

Courtney Sanford, 32, was driving on a highway in North Carolina in the US, when her vehicle crossed the median, crashed into an oncoming truck, hit a tree and burst into flames. 

SEE ALSO: More People stories

Police confirmed that seconds before the crash occurred, Sanford had been updating her Facebook feed to let people know: ‘The happy song makes me HAPPY.’

status_2286x800?1398623011

It also emerged she had been taking selfies and posted one to Facebook while driving.

Police said she was wearing a seat belt, but said it was ‘not being properly used’.

Darwin award winner perchance??? :o

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd laugh, but most of my posts on here come from behind the wheel.

I can't believe her status has only got 10 likes though. Hardly worth dying for 10 likes. Now 20 likes, that might be worth it.

Anyway, can't stop to chat, should probably get my eyes back on the road.

Don't apologise :o

Well I wouldn't wish death on someone, but idiots like this deserve what they get. No consideration for anyone else, either on or at the side of the road. At least in this instance she's only taken herself out.

A definite candidate for a Darwin Award yes.

Well I wouldn't wish death on someone, but idiots like this deserve what they get. No consideration for anyone else, either on or at the side of the road. At least in this instance she's only taken herself out.

A definite candidate for a Darwin Award yes.

Ever hear of the fella who wanted to prove to his mates that the window on his new 50th floor office we're shatter proof?

He ran full pelt into the window. And through the window.

I love a good Darwin Award me.

Ever hear of the fella who wanted to prove to his mates that the window on his new 50th floor office we're shatter proof?

He ran full pelt into the window. And through the window.

I love a good Darwin Award me.

Lawnchair Larry is my personal favourite. I was in tears when I first read that one....:D

Must admit I'm not on first name terms with a lot of them. But was he the one with the balloons?

Yeah that's the one.

www.darwinawards.com/stupid/stupid1998-11.html

The footnote, or the end of it, is just icing on the cake. Maybe even the cherry on top! :D

Yeah that's the one.

www.darwinawards.com/stupid/stupid1998-11.html

The footnote, or the end of it, is just icing on the cake. Maybe even the cherry on top! :D

Oh dear, don't get me started. I'll be up all night reading them. And I really should be keeping my eyes on the road.

See Also,
'Priest Visits Boss'

stupid.1997-11b

"http://www.darwinawards.com/i/icon/beer" alt="beer">

"http://www.darwinawards.com/i/icon/gun" alt="gun">

"http://www.darwinawards.com/i/icon/electricity" alt="electricity">

"http://www.darwinawards.com/i/stupid.1997-11c" width="150" alt="stupid.1997-11c">(1982, California) Larry Walters of Los Angeles is one of the few to contend for the Darwin Awards and live to tell the tale. "I have fulfilled my 20-year dream," said Walters, a former truck driver for a company that makes TV commercials. "I'm staying on the ground. I've proved the thing works."

Larry's boyhood dream was to fly. But fates conspired to keep him from his dream. He joined the Air Force, but his poor eyesight disqualified him from the job of pilot. After he was discharged from the military, he sat in his backyard watching jets fly overhead.

He hatched his weather balloon scheme while sitting outside in his "extremely comfortable" Sears lawnchair. He purchased 45 weather balloons from an Army-Navy surplus store, tied them to his tethered lawnchair (dubbed the Inspiration I) and filled the four-foot diameter balloons with helium. Then, armed with some sandwiches, Miller Lite, and a pellet gun, he strapped himself into his lawnchair. He figured he would shoot to pop a few of the many balloons when it was time to descend.

Larry planned to sever the anchor and lazily float to a height of about 30 feet above the backyard, where he would enjoy a few hours of flight before coming back down. But things didn't work out quite as Larry planned.

When his friends cut the cord anchoring the lawnchair to his Jeep, he did not float lazily up to 30 feet. Instead he streakedinto the LA sky as if shot from a cannon, pulled by the lift of 45 helium balloons, holding 33 cubic feet of helium each.

He didn't level off at 100 feet, nor did he level off at 1000 feet. After climbing and climbing, he leveled off at 16,000 feet.

At that height he felt he couldn't risk shooting any of the balloons, lest he unbalance the load and really find himself in trouble. So he stayed there, drifting cold and frightened with his beer and sandwiches, for more than 14 hours. He crossed the primary approach corridor of LAX, where startled Trans World Airlines and Delta Airlines pilots radioed in reports of the strange sight.

Eventually he gathered the nerve to shoot a few balloons, and slowly descended. The hanging tethers tangled and caught in a power line, blacking out a Long Beach neighborhood for 20 minutes. Larry climbed to safety, where he was arrested by waiting members of the LAPD. As he was led away in handcuffs, a reporter dispatched to cover the daring rescue asked him why he had done it. Larry replied nonchalantly, "A man can't just sit around."

The Federal Aviation Administration was not amused. Safety Inspector Neal Savoy said, "We know he broke some part of the Federal Aviation Act, and as soon as we decide which part it is, a charge will be filed."

DarwinAwards.com © 1994 - 2012
Submitted by: Ed GreanyDouglas WalkerWalter Hecht
Reference: UPI, Stabbed with a Wedge of Cheese by Charles Downey

stupid.1997-11c

Footnote:
Larry's efforts won him a $1,500 FAA fine, a prize from the Bonehead Club of Dallas, the altitude record for gas-filled clustered balloons, and a Darwin Awards At-Risk Survivor. He gave his aluminum lawnchair to admiring neighborhood children, abandoned his truck-driving job, and went on the lecture circuit. He enjoyed intermittent demand as a motivational speaker, but said he never made much money from his innovative flight. He never married and had no children. Larry hiked into the forest and shot himself on October 6, 1993. He died at the age of 44.

:cool:  :cool:  :cool:

Archived