Norwich ,Fulham,Cardiff and Wolves will make it a tougher Championship campaign

Curtains

PistoldPete2

Yes I think the owners are a bit complacent .

I really do think the owners think it's a tweak here and there and Im of the opinion that's not the case .

I think we overachieved when McClaren came in with the players we have hence that's why I say it will be tougher.

I dont think we over-achieved at all.

We finished behind the three teams you would have expected. We were obviously way better than Brighton who finished 6th. And light years ahead of Forest. 

If we stay as we were (without the bad start under Nige) , or improve we will get promoted. That's a big IF, so no complacency. I don't think it will take more than the odd tweak, provided we dont get load of injuries. We need to keep our best players , and add some more.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A place in the Premier League would already have been achieved if Shackell had not been sold - just look what he has done for Burnley's defence (from one of the worst defences in the Championship under Howe to the BEST defence under Dyche).

Shackell instead of Keogh would have been 10 extra points last season. 

A place in the Premier League would already have been achieved if Shackell had not been sold - just look what he has done for Burnley's defence (from one of the worst defences in the Championship under Howe to the BEST defence under Dyche).

Don't see how anyone can guarantee a promotion if a player stayed.

And a change of manager can improve defences anyway, we conceded less under SMc than under NC, even with Shackell.

PistoldPete2

Shackells distribution was poor. We may have conceded fewer but we scored more with keogh. 

I think.we strengh all departments we have a really chance for 1st or 2nd place this season we have nrothing to fear this season.

Nothing to fear except fear itself, B4! I should copyright that line, it's quite catchy.

Oh...and over-confidence....so we have nothing to fear except fear and over-confidence.

Nothing to fear except fear itself, B4! I should copyright that line, it's quite catchy.

Oh...and over-confidence....so we have nothing to fear except fear and over-confidence.

This is how I see it.

Goalkeeping departments . Very strong

RB. Wisdom needs replacing which will be difficult in itself he was brilliant for us last season.

LB. Forsyth did well last season going forward but makes silly errors at the back. ie doesn't always track back

At very least we will need a strong back up .

CB s. Both Buxton and Keogh did well last season but both prone to silly errors. Ie Play off Final . Will need very strong back up or replacements.

Midfield . Need to keep Hughes , Jeff and Craig. Thorne needs replacing and Eustace hasn't got the legs week in week out.

Forwards. Need to replace Sammon but all the rest ok ie. Wardy , Martin, Dawkins , Coutts ? Etc.

Bamford needs replacing.

Summing up top 6 if these things happen IMO.

Automatic will be very difficult without spending a few Million or getting quality loans in which Steve might achieve given the OWNERS and Sam Rush step up to the plate.

I do trust the head coach but I'm not happy with our defense .

I'm afraid the head coach is slightly afraid of changing the defense because of fans reaction.

I can understand McClarens position .

How could he drop Buxton .

Although he had a great season I don't think him and Keogh are good enough week in week out as a CB partnership to get us promoted.

Ridiculous thing to say.

This is the same head coach that left the player of the season on the bench for the play off final.

The bottom of the Prem and the top of the Championship are pretty much even these days, which is why the relegated teams have not done particularly well over the past five years or so. QPR got promoted, but even their own fans were surprised, and both Wigan and Reading struggled until the end - Reading were only just relegated the previous season, but didn't even make the playoffs. It's been a very similar story in previous seasons, going back to 2009-2010. So I think all three of the clubs coming down will all struggle, although for different reasons. I do think Wolves will do well, though.

You can't discount the value of the experience which Derby have gained over the past three or four seasons. It's got a solid basis of a squad with some real talent, and after last season they should be battle-hardened. A few additions to the squad is probably all that's needed. 

My personal 1, 2, 3 pick for next season is Wigan, Derby, Wolves: mind you, I thought Leicester would scrape into the playoffs last season, and that Florist and Watford would fight it out for the top two places.

I don't think it's so much a case of expecting automatic promotion this season as some people are suggesting...I see it more along the lines of fans hoping for an improvement on last year's position (as most fans at most clubs do each season) which just so happens to mean we would be in the top two. I don't think for one minute SMc and the players expect automatic promotion as some sort of divine right, but based on last season I think the target can only be automatic, although another top 6 finish can surely still be seen as a success?

I dont see a challenge from any of the relegate prem teams they have quality but I imagine the will sell and be generally inconsistent plus lack a true heart that is pretty key for promotion thoough Norwich might do well, Wolves might have a bit about them but I think the ones to watch are Wigan and Blackburn.

Why Wolves? What a bizarre choice.

Charlton romped to the League One title and only finished midtable, and Sheff Wednesday have struggled since coming back up.

Whilst Southamtpon and Norwich certainly did an excellent job in getting a double promotion, that certainly isn't the norm and I don't see anything to suggest Wolves will take the leahue by storm.

They might, but I'm not backing it.

Archived