Burnley and QPR attempts to sign Craig Bryson

Jenkinson

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a lot of people are saying that he's not that good, imo I think it would be a great miss in our team, unless thorne makes the move then we'll live, remember we didn't have him against brighton and we tore them apart.

That was more to do with how well Hendrick and Hughes played rather than Thorne. I think we need to get Thorne, regardless of whether Bryson stays or not...

Maybe I'm being a tad harsh on Bryson....

Maybe we have been spoilt for choice in midfield last season.

All have strengths and weaknesses. But all compliment each other.

Am I the only one who thinks that Bryson is just alright.

His 16 goals last season was a great achievement-but I would be really surprised if he did it again next season.

If he wants to go-then let him go and I would be ok if we got 1 million for him and wish him well in the Premiershite.

Agreed.

Want him to stay. Think he will. But if he doesn't I don't think he'll be that hard to replace. Apart from his energy I don't think he has any qualities that stand him out from other Championship midfielders.

I think we could find similar. Save us some time if he stayed. He has been great for us last season. But the team have all been great and well balanced.

Let's hope he stays so we can keep that level of understanding though. That whole starting 11 were reading from the same page.

Apart from his energy I don't think he has any qualities that stand him out from other Championship midfielders.

I'd say his finishing last season was well above the standard of many Championship strikers, let alone midfielders.

It's not like he only scored tap-ins, there were some good long range goals and some very composed finishes.

I'd say his finishing last season was well above the standard of many Championship strikers, let alone midfielders.

It's not like he only scored tap-ins, there were some good long range goals and some very composed finishes.

Good point. I've got no comeback. But I do think it's well within us to replace him. I wouldn't say we're lucky to have him exactly. We're about right for each other?

Not like say Thorne. If we manage to sign him I think he's as good as we can possibly get and (hush hush) he could probably do slightly better for himself. His lack of games has handed us a great opportunity and he seems to think we can take him to the level he belongs.

Think Hughes will hit that point over the next couple of years. Hopefully we will progress with him.

I think Bryson should stay put. Don't think he's beyond us yet.

Problem with quoting the Brighton win without Bryson is that it's not a fair example of a match. Brighton are a team or are strong defensively but don't score many.

Brighton were a goal down from the start, and so needed a goal. First half was close fought, some good play from us, class finish from Will and we went into half time effectively 2 goals ahead. This did not suit Brighton, they needed to go for it, leaving them open and so we ran riot. I think Bryson in the team would have had the same result.

Good player, want to keep him, someone offers 3 mill I won't begrudge him going

Agreed.

Want him to stay. Think he will. But if he doesn't I don't think he'll be that hard to replace. Apart from his energy I don't think he has any qualities that stand him out from other Championship midfielders.

I think we could find similar. Save us some time if he stayed. He has been great for us last season. But the team have all been great and well balanced.

Let's hope he stays so we can keep that level of understanding though. That whole starting 11 were reading from the same page.

You need more than just "energy" to reach 16 goals in a season from midfield.

With a stronger team, he will be even better. What Mafiabob said really: "All have strengths and weaknesses. But all compliment each other."

If there was only one of our midfielders we could keep from last season, it would be Bryson for me all day long.

I'm genuinely surprised that the general consensus on here is they don't mind letting him go.

I feel there are two players that are core to how we play and we cannot ably replace from within the squad - Martin & Bryson.

PistoldPete2

If there was only one of our midfielders we could keep from last season, it would be Bryson for me all day long.

I'm genuinely surprised that the general consensus on here is they don't mind letting him go.

I feel there are two players that are core to how we play and we cannot ably replace from within the squad - Martin & Bryson.

I want to keep all our players from last season. The midfield was especially strong, lets keep it that way. Its easy to see why Bryson is rated 16 goals plus a load of assists too.  Hughes and hendrick will score loads to in the future too. Hendricks goals per games started at the Rams is similar to Brysons, but he missed a fair chunk of games last year. It will help both Hughes and Hendrick if they are not playing a DM role. Our midfield will have loads of goals in it whichever 3 are playing (unless its Eustace) 

Without raking things up and getting involved in argument I can't possibly win.

I had concerns about the Stevie Mac appointment, I got it wrong and I'll admit badly wrong. I misjudged him then and I might even be misjudging him now, cos I haven't actually heard anything from Mac that suggests he wants to lose anyone. In fact all I've heard from him is sensible and sound.

I do still have concerns about his ability to buy and sell the right players. So far he's done it with a squad he didn't have to build.

I don't have the same opinions as others do on Dawkins. I think he's no better than the lads we already had available and would play Russell 99 times out of a hundred ahead of him. So it's Wisdom and Thorne as the plusses and that's not enough of a sample size for me to be 100% convinced.

If he sells Bryson or even if he thinks selling Bryson is anything but a total disaster, then I'm going to start getting very nervous indeed. The fact that he left him out at Wembley already unhinged a lot of the credit he'd rightly earned from me and YES HE DID LEAVE HIM OUT, Bryson declared himself fit and McClaren dropped him and I know for a fact that absolutely rocked Bryson to the core).

Of course though, there's not many who'll allow anyone to say Mac made a mistake and got it wrong,

All Mac has got to is keep the squad together, bring in a right back and a central striker and continue with his policy of doing nothing too revolutionary. 

THIS SQUAD IS ALREADY GOOD ENOUGH TO GO UP. It was last season and it will be this season. 

If we lose any key player it would effect my thinking on that. If we lose Bryson the hole to fill would be massive.

He wasn't dropped in the final... Macca went with the same team that had stuffed Brighton at the iPro... a decision which I think is a fair one...

I think it's fair to say that for every other game of the last 3 seasons, if Bryson is fit he plays. Can you agree that's a fair thing to say?

He made himself available and wasn't selected. He was asked if he was fit to play and said yes. He wasn't picked.

He's our player of the year and top scoring midfielder and I don't care what kind of manager you are. You don't leave that out.

I wish I could have seen the reaction inside the QPR dressing room when they saw the team sheets. I bet they were dancing with delight.

It was a ******* of massive proportions to leave him out and it robbed him of the chance to play in the bigest game in the clubs recent history.

He'd done enough not to deserve that.

I had concerns about the Stevie Mac appointment, I got it wrong and I'll admit badly wrong. I misjudged him then and I might even be misjudging him now, cos I haven't actually heard anything from Mac that suggests he wants to lose anyone. In fact all I've heard from him is sensible and sound.

I do still have concerns about his ability to buy and sell the right players. So far he's done it with a squad he didn't have to build.

I don't have the same opinions as others do on Dawkins. I think he's no better than the lads we already had available and would play Russell 99 times out of a hundred ahead of him. So it's Wisdom and Thorne as the plusses and that's not enough of a sample size for me to be 100% convinced.

If he sells Bryson or even if he thinks selling Bryson is anything but a total disaster, then I'm going to start getting very nervous indeed. The fact that he left him out at Wembley already unhinged a lot of the credit he'd rightly earned from me and YES HE DID LEAVE HIM OUT, Bryson declared himself fit and McClaren dropped him and I know for a fact that absolutely rocked Bryson to the core).

Of course though, there's not many who'll allow anyone to say Mac made a mistake and got it wrong,

All Mac has got to is keep the squad together, bring in a right back and a central striker and continue with his policy of doing nothing too revolutionary. 

THIS SQUAD IS ALREADY GOOD ENOUGH TO GO UP. It was last season and it will be this season. 

If we lose any key player it would effect my thinking on that. If we lose Bryson the hole to fill would be massive.

Elements of your post I agree with - particularly regarding feeling nervous over the Mac's overall transfer record. He's never struck me as the sort of manager who goes for a cheaper unproven lower league player, rather someone who tries to buy from the Premier League at a premium price.  

I'm curious to know how you 'for a fact' Bryson was 'rocked to the core' by being left out of the starting 11 for the final? Have you spoken to him personally or someone close to him?

I think it's fair to say that for every other game of the last 3 seasons, if Bryson is fit he plays. Can you agree that's a fair thing to say?

He made himself available and wasn't selected. He was asked if he was fit to play and said yes. He wasn't picked.

He's our player of the year and top scoring midfielder and I don't care what kind of manager you are. You don't leave that out.

I wish I could have seen the reaction inside the QPR dressing room when they saw the team sheets. I bet they were dancing with delight.

It was a ******* of massive proportions to leave him out and it robbed him of the chance to play in the bigest game in the clubs recent history.

He'd done enough not to deserve that.

And Hughes/Hendrick had done enough in the Brighton demolition to deserve not to be dropped

The play off final was a culmination of the seasons hard work.

PLease tell me which of our midfielders contributed more last season than Craig did?

I'm not hammering Hughes or Hendrick and you'll never find me saying anything other than complimentary about them both.

But neither of them did as much as Craig Bryson did to get us into 3rd spot in the league, not in appearances, not in goals and not in assists.

Elements of your post I agree with - particularly regarding feeling nervous over the Mac's overall transfer record. He's never struck me as the sort of manager who goes for a cheaper unproven lower league player, rather someone who tries to buy from the Premier League at a premium price.  

I'm curious to know how you 'for a fact' Bryson was 'rocked to the core' by being left out of the starting 11 for the final? Have you spoken to him personally or someone close to him?

Yes. One of those two.

Although you say you were wrong about Mcclaren, this posts suggests to me you're looking for any reason to have a go at him.

Leaving Bryson out wasnt the reason we lost that game, you might disagree with the decision to drop him, but to me, it was irrelevant to the result of that game. 

The only thing that separates Bryson is his work rate, movement and desire. His technical ability is quite average and the weakest of our midfield four. Not knocking him at all, as I rate him highly, but physical attributes will only get him so far.

As someone else said, he compliments the midfield well and maybe the other three wouldnt be as effective if he wasnt there. The only reason I'd like to see him go would be to see Valleyram stop posting about him. 

Archived