Jeff Astle's death caused by heading footballs.

uttoxram75

Could have massive consequences for the future of football.......

Ex-England striker Jeff Astle died from a brain condition normally linked to boxers rather than Alzheimer's disease as previously thought, a neurosurgeon has claimed.

Dr Willie Stewart carried out a new examination of the former West Bromwich Albion forward's brain.

He said Astle, who died, aged 59, in 2002, was killed by chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE).

He said this had been caused by heading footballs.

Dr Stewart said CTE was formerly known as dementia pugilistica - a progressive degeneration of the the brain caused by repeated head trauma.

He said the condition was frequently mistaken for dementia, as happened to Astle when he was incorrectly diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those footballs were like bags of cement though. Not sure whether the modern ones would cause the same problems.

Aye Eddie and when they got soaked they were like medicine balls, bloody hurt on the off chance you headed the laces an' all. "http://www.warlordgames.com/forum/images/smilies/th_old" alt="th_old">

Don't know if anyone remembers these footballs, I was over the moon when I got my first one, these hurt the old nut as well mind.

"http://i.ebayimg.com/t/WEMBLEY-TROPHY-FOOTBALL-ORANGE-/00/s/MTA1M1g3Njg=/z/PxYAAOxyUgtTLtyV/$_35" alt="$_35">

My mate got an old fashioned soaking wet casey volleyed into his face from about 2 yards. He battered me for rolling on the floor laughing. You can fart today's footballs into the net as though your playing blow football.

When wet the old 'un's took on water and weight alright, but dry I believe they are the same weight now as they've always been.

When wet the old 'un's took on water and weight alright, but dry I believe they are the same weight now as they've always been.

Doubt it.

I remember going for training at Belper Town.

I could hardly kick it from the touch line to the centre circle.

I had no idea how heavy the bloody things were.

Doubt it.

I remember going for training at Belper Town.

I could hardly kick it from the touch line to the centre circle.

I had no idea how heavy the bloody things were.

you kicked the trainers medicine ball you fool.

I've done my statto bit for the greater good. According to the laws the ball should be between 14 and 16oz. The law has been that way since the 1930's - prior to that it was lighter, between 13 and 15oz. This applies to the dry weight of the ball at kick off.

One header kills about 100 braincells. Or that's how I was told lied 20 years ago.

50 headers per training, twice a day, 25 years.... About a million?

Basicly nothing, even if one header would destroy 1000.

One header kills about 100 braincells. Or that's how I was told lied 20 years ago.

50 headers per training, twice a day, 25 years.... About a million?

Basicly nothing, even if one header would destroy 1000.

One night getting drunk kills much more of those braincells but people don't seem to mind. :unsure:

Archived