Has this really happened?

-JW-

Just skimming through all these posts...still can't believe it.

I am 42, big enough and old enough to know that these things happen, it's not the absolute end of the world, my son however is 13, the poor lad is devastated still...he is dreading going to school to see all the Chelsea, city, united etc fans laughing at him.

Great weekend in the capital, highlights....Friday night in covent garden, seeing pretty much everyone I have ever knew in the green man on Saturday, making new friends, having a beer with 1 direction and getting back the joy of following the rams.... I must have heard "days like this make up for all the **** we have had over the years" a million times, and it does.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you could sense after about 10-15 minutes of us not breaking down their 10 men the Derby team, management and fans began to think it wasn't scripted. That is how I felt anyway. This is going to take a long time to get over.

Only one thing will truly help us get over it.

And it's 50 weeks away.

Just skimming through all these posts...still can't believe it.

I am 42, big enough and old enough to know that these things happen, it's not the absolute end of the world, my son however is 13, the poor lad is devastated still...he is dreading going to school to see all the Chelsea, city, united etc fans laughing at him.

Great weekend in the capital, highlights....Friday night in covent garden, seeing pretty much everyone I have ever knew in the green man on Saturday, making new friends, having a beer with 1 direction and getting back the joy of following the rams.... I must have heard "days like this make up for all the **** we have had over the years" a million times, and it does.

Your boy is right to be devastated. Derby are one of my two sporting loves; Essendon in the AFL are the other. The man who coached Essendon for 27 years from 1980 (when I was 14 and had never seen my team win a final), Kevin Sheedy, has often been called the "best loser ever" because he always believed that every loss is a chance to learn something about yourself and, therefore, one step closer to the ultimate goal.

Sheeds probably has had more influence on me as a man than anyone else and McLaren reminds me a bit of Sheeds. Except far more coherent.

Your boy is right to be devastated. Derby are one of my two sporting loves; Essendon in the AFL are the other. The man who coached Essendon for 27 years from 1980 (when I was 14 and had never seen my team win a final), Kevin Sheedy, has often been called the "best loser ever" because he always believed that every loss is a chance to learn something about yourself and, therefore, one step closer to the ultimate goal.

Sheeds probably has had more influence on me as a man than anyone else and McLaren reminds me a bit of Sheeds. Except far more coherent.

After all that, I neglected to make the actual point I wanted to make: tell your boy that the more the defeat hurts now, the more pure will be the enjoyment of our victory when it comes!

Only thing that I truly feared was that QPR finally turned up for a game. In the absence of that, and us playing our game, I really couldn't see how we'd lose. 

QPR were poor. We played very well in most areas. Not at our absolute best granted, but still well enough to have won the game ten times over. 

Or at least we would have if we hadn't left our shooting boots at home. 

We expected QPR to have one chance towards the end, it was just based on how the game had gone, and how much of the game we'd had and not managed to break them down. Their goal, was almost in slow motion - so many chances to snuff it out, and just one mistake after another. TBH, it was the only way they were going to score, a catalogue of errors. 

It still beggars belief that we lost. We'd have won that game 99 times out of 100. That's what makes the defeat all the more galling - QPR didn't so much win it, we just threw it away, gifted it to them. Lost it. 

I woke this morning having spent the weekend in London with my boys. Walking around Tussauds in a daze (1 at the cost and 2 still gutted) really didnt help and just felt shell shocked all day.

Today though i feel weirdly positive. For once i believe in the Management and structure of this great team of ours and trust they will do the right thing. Whoever we loose as players over the coming weeks i am absolutely sure they will be replaced we the same if not better group of lads. If we keep the core of the team i cannot see many of the teams beating us next season. Im very excited about this transfer window and have been checking gossip every bleedin hour!!!!

Would we have struggled in the Prem...possibly as we would have come across more of those qpr games all season. Are we going to have an even more exciting season in the Championship next season....you had better fooookin believe it.

You do always worry when we don't score. 

Look at Millwall when they came to our place - their game plan was so transparent - everyone behind the ball, keep things tight, time waste, and then wait, for the one inevitable mistake that we'd make. 

I don't know the stats but Burnley and QPR seemed to get a lot of scruffy 1-0 wins last season - a bit like Hull the season before..

Bit like us under Davros.

TBH, I'd rather we play the way that we do and lose than watch another season of the sh1te that was served up under his tenure.

Yes we won games, yes we got promoted, but that was the only enjoyable thing about it. The performances were often turgid.

I did not even see the goal go in i already had my face in my scarf as i sensed what was going to happen, it still hasnt sunk in , its a funny ol'game

Luckily for me I had a nice green Polska scarf that some kind bloke had given me to cry into.... Thanks again.!

It honestly feels like it was scripted for Harry Redknapp to get them promoted, and in such a fashion.

Football is a sick game, and watching Real Madrid break Atletico's hearts also in the last minute just topped of a horrific footballing day.

After being at Wembley to watch the playoff final against WBA, such a depressing heart-wrenching defeat was bound to happen at some point too.

When we found out it was QPR we'd be playing in the final, those were my exact thoughts.  I told people that week that it was all set for Redknapp to fluke it.

I did not even see the goal go in i already had my face in my scarf as i sensed what was going to happen, it still hasnt sunk in , its a funny ol'game

heh, I was in the SW corner so I had a perfect line from Zamora's foot to the top corner of the goal. As soon as I saw him hit it and I saw gap between post, ball and Grant's hand I turned away. Didn't see the net bulge, didn't see Zamora take one step to celebrate, didn't see Grant land.

Have you ever felt so desperate to start a day again?!

On the way home, someone said to me - all I can hear in my head, is you, screaming nooooooooooooo

Apparently, it was scary.  :angry:

I think I did something similar, in the kitchen at home, when we conceded our third against Birmingham - only less intense. 

Anyone desperately look at the linesman, referee hoping for some sort of offside, foul?

No, they can't have scored.

I'm still hoping to hear that the goal wasn't given and they're on the way back to Wembley right now for extra time for some unknown reason.

Archived