What would you do?

Uptherams

I honestly don't think we need as much as some on here are claiming. History suggests that teams that are promoted playing technical attacking football, like ourselves, do well in the top flight.

For example, Blackpool made £4,000,000 worth of additions to a squad that was tipped for Chanpionship relegation the season before. They took it to the final day of the season.

Another example, Swansea. They spent £10,000,000 when they were promoted, £2,500,000 of this was on goalkeepers, as all first team 'keepers at the time were out of contract and agreements couldnt be reached. So on actual additions to the squad, as opposed to replacements, they only spent £7,500,000. They finished 11th.

I seriously dont think this side is as far away as others think, though I agree the defence could do with a fine-tuning and some cover for Thorne (assuming he stays) though. Maybe a proven winger as well.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because he's one of the best right backs around at championship level, he's likely to be available (and for less than what we sold him for), he's well liked within the squad and he suits the way we play, is that enough reasons yet?

no, thought he was a great player for us don't get me wrong. But I think we can do lots better and attract better than him, even in the champ

Was thinking the same thing.

I just don't get it, don't get me wrong he was great here, but I think we can attract a better calibre of player even if we are to be in the champ next season

This is summer spending, not total season spend. More money may become available in the winter window, but I am basing the transfer fee budget independent of transfer fees accumulated through sale of players. People should also consider the emergence of home grown talent and free transfers. 

no, thought he was a great player for us don't get me wrong. But I think we can do lots better and attract better than him, even in the champ

Okay then, name names.  Better right backs than Brayford, who we have a realistic chance of signing over the summer?

Okay then, name names. Better right backs than Brayford, who we have a realistic chance of signing over the summer?

Our current full back.... Byram from Leeds, Gunter ( I know ex red dog) from Reading.... And I imagine our improved scouting network has many targets from abroad to go at! That's off top of my head..... :)

All this talk of Brayford. He is now a championship player again. Cardiff do not want him so we could get him back for less than we sold him for. He is a good solid player. One of the best full backs in this league and he is familiar to us. We have no idea if we can get Wisdom back. If we can, we should still go after Brayford as Bray can play in multiple positions and Wisdom is actually a CB. Someone point out a player we could get that is better than Brayford for the same fee and wages.  

Look at the wonderful work that went into Forsyth. If they could just improve Brayford slightly defensively he would be fantastic. 

History shows us that if we do get promoted, we should approach it without fear and trepidation. In the years since we were relegated, over 70% of promoted sides - 13 out of 18 - have survived their first season in the Premier League.

Sure, we would go up with quite the unheralded, inexperienced squad but by no means is it unthinkable that we could survive. I think it's all about striking the right balance.

What would I do?

The most important thing for me is a considerable degree of continuity. It's important to keep the nucleus of the squad and maintain the style of play and not to abandon our attacking principles or some of the players who have worked so hard to get us in the position we are in.

These players have earned their chance to show what they can do at that level and until they get that chance, it is difficult to say who will make the step up and who won't. Who would have thought Rickie Lambert and Adam Lallana would go on to become England internationals, for example?

With the progress of our Academy too, it would make sense to see the likes of Roos, Bennett and Lowe in and around the first-team squad, with the opportunity to make their mark. Look at the likes of Luke Shaw and Ben Davies who took their chance and ran with it.

So I don't think drastic, cynical changes are needed at first. That said, an injection of quality and experience wouldn't do us any harm at all, particularly in defence and midfield. A right back, a centre back, a central midfielder, an attacking midfielder and a striker would be priorities for me and then I would see how we fare.

Then I would perhaps assess the situation in January, look to add two or three players more to give the squad some depth and quality to last the distance or to address any shortcomings.

Zero chance we sign Byram, he'll go to a prem club for far more than we'd be willing to pay. Apparently Leeds have already turned down £2.5m+ bids for him, and Southampton are interested.  It's debatable whether Gunter is any better than Brayford (he's been very average for Reading by all accounts) and he's going to cost a lot more than Brayford.  If we're still in the championship, there's no way that Reading sell a member of their first XI to a promotion rival for anything less than £2m, probably more.  I reckon we'd be looking at £1m for Brayford, maybe less if there's a sell on clause than will offset.

All this talk of Brayford. He is now a championship player again. Cardiff do not want him so we could get him back for less than we sold him for. He is a good solid player. One of the best full backs in this league and he is familiar to us. We have no idea if we can get Wisdom back. If we can, we should still go after Brayford as Bray can play in multiple positions and Wisdom is actually a CB. Someone point out a player we could get that is better than Brayford for the same fee and wages.

Look at the wonderful work that went into Forsyth. If they could just improve Brayford slightly defensively he would be fantastic.

we also have no idea if we would get Brayford back.

Zero chance we sign Byram, he'll go to a prem club for far more than we'd be willing to pay. Apparently Leeds have already turned down £2.5m+ bids for him, and Southampton are interested. It's debatable whether Gunter is any better than Brayford (he's been very average for Reading by all accounts) and he's going to cost a lot more than Brayford. If we're still in the championship, there's no way that Reading sell a member of their first XI to a promotion rival for anything less than £2m, probably more. I reckon we'd be looking at £1m for Brayford, maybe less if there's a sell on clause than will offset.

What I've said we can attract better calibre.... We already have done albeit with wisdom being on loan, why didn't we sign brayford on loan when he was clearly available? Answer, we now have the structure in place to get someone in who is a better calibre of player. I'm sorry to everyone, but I would have Wisdom over Brayford any day of the week, I liked Brayford.... But it's time we moved on

I honestly don't think we need as much as some on hear are branding about. History suggests that teams that are promoted playing technical attacking football, like ourselves, do well in the top flight.

For example, Blackpool made £4,000,000 worth if additions to a squad that was tipped for Chanpionship relegation the season before. They took it to the final day of the season.

Another example, Swansea. They spent £10,000,000 when they were promoted, £2,500,000 of this was on goalkeepers, as all first team 'keepers at the time were out of contract and agreements couldnt be reached. So on actual additions to the squad, as opposed to replacements, they only spent £7,500,000. They finished 11th.

I seriously dont think this side is as far away as others think, though I agree the defence could do with a fine-tuning and some cover for Thorne (assuming he stays) though. Maybe a proven winger as well.

Agree entirely. I'd like to see us make 3/4 excellent signings straight down the middle. A CB, couple of midfielders and a rival for Martin.

Get at the lower PL sides like they're Champ sides. They aren't much better and we'll be stronger than this season too.

I agree it's about 'how you play'. So many teams are so scared of losing money/going down they're negative. But disciplined. You go up and start playing percentage football they'll gobble the ball up and dismiss you. They take some breaking down. Go up with control and you stand a great chance. Especially if you're positive (something Swansea have perhaps lost from their controlled game).

As for the top sides... Who cares? Anything you get is a bonus. Win the bottom mini league before we worry about being able to match up to the top sides. Got to earn the big money to compete at that end. Got to be a big club. As horrible as it is for some to admit, there are no big clubs in the East Midlands. Just clubs with potential. The Mighty Derby and Forest have been less appealing than Fulham and Stoke for quite some time.

Few big signings straight down the middle. No £10m flying wingers. No retiring has beens who live off past glory. Players coming into their peak who are intelligent.

Struggling at the bottom of the PL? Let's sign a tricky winger who has no discipline but likes running with the ball. Nah

What I've said we can attract better calibre.... We already have done albeit with wisdom being on loan, why didn't we sign brayford on loan when he was clearly available? Answer, we now have the structure in place to get someone in who is a better calibre of player. I'm sorry to everyone, but I would have Wisdom over Brayford any day of the week, I liked Brayford.... But it's time we moved on

But if we are still a championship club, we're not going to be competing with prem clubs for players, anyone that thinks that is deluded.  Byram is out of our league (and any other championship clubs), and barring Reading have a firesale because of their supposed financial issues, Gunter will probably go to a prem club if anywhere.

I like Wisdom, but he's clearly not a right back.  If cost/wages/whatever was no issue, I would have Brayford over Wisdom in a heartbeat.  Wisdom is bigger and stronger than Brayford, and better in the air, but he's utterly useless against a winger with any kind of pace and he's terrible going forward.  So many attacks of our break down because Wisdom has no idea what he is doing.

I don't know if Brayfiord would want to come back here, or why we didn't get him back this season.  But all I know is, he's a realistic,  sensible signing that would clearly improve our team.  And short of playing the 'we'll just sign a foreigner that no-one can name, but who's better and cheaper than anyone else' card, he's the obvious player to go for.

I just don't get it, don't get me wrong he was great here, but I think we can attract a better calibre of player even if we are to be in the champ next season

I'm with you. He was great here in his first and third season. He was poor in his second season. I think he's one of the best RBs at this level but we don't want to be at this level.

Same as you, I prefer Wisdom. So long as 1 fullback flies forward then that's enough. Don't need both full backs. Wisdom is a better defender imo. More composed under pressure possibly?

I think Bolton and Norwich have proved that being the best in the Championship doesn't have the sane requirements in the PL. The games are so fast down here. Undisciplined. Lots of percentage football. Simple energy can go a long way. To play in the PL you've got to be smarter.

Brayford is a superb RB for this level. He could probably do well in the PL. But I don't think he's a must have. We haven't missed him imo. Good player but not worth getting hung up on if we have 1) Wisdom or 2) Premier League status

I'm with you. He was great here in his first and third season. He was poor in his second season. I think he's one of the best RBs at this level but we don't want to be at this level.

Same as you, I prefer Wisdom. So long as 1 fullback flies forward then that's enough. Don't need both full backs. Wisdom is a better defender imo. More composed under pressure possibly?

I think Bolton and Norwich have proved that being the best in the Championship doesn't have the sane requirements in the PL. The games are so fast down here. Undisciplined. Lots of percentage football. Simple energy can go a long way. To play in the PL you've got to be smarter.

Brayford is a superb RB for this level. He could probably do well in the PL. But I don't think he's a must have. We haven't missed him imo. Good player but not worth getting hung up on if we have 1) Wisdom or 2) Premier League status

You put it way better than I ever do, agreed entirely....

Archived