Teacher stabbed to death in Leeds School

davenportram

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-27193638

A female teacher has been stabbed to death at a school in Leeds.

Police said a 15-year-old male pupil at Corpus Christi Catholic College in Neville Road has been arrested.

The woman, who has not been named, was taken to hospital but later pronounced dead.

Det Supt Simon Beldon, of West Yorkshire Police, described the stabbing as an "isolated incident" and said there was "no ongoing risk to pupils or staff".

'Under control'

The call to police came from the ambulance service shortly before 12:00 BST.

Mr Beldon added: "The situation is under control and officers, including safer schools officers and members of the local neighbourhood policing team, are currently at the school and are liaising closely with staff."

He said the "rest of the school is continuing to operate as normal".

Mr Beldon stressed that parents of pupils at the school should "not attend the site unless directly requested to do so by the school".

The college has 950 pupils and according to its website it retains "traditional values", describing these as "a strong Christian ethos, a broad and varied curriculum, good teaching and learning, excellent discipline and outstanding pastoral care".

Mr Beldon said inquiries at the school were at "a very early stage but the full circumstances of this incident will obviously be the subject of a full and thorough investigation".

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shocking.

What do you think of the "rest of the school is continuing to operate as normal".

If my child was there - I think I'd nip and get them, for today. 

I think it's a tad disrespectful to the deceased having the school "operate as normal" in the circumstances.

Just seen a report on the news and they have now named the lady who died as Anne Maguire. She looks a nice lady, my thoughts are with her family and friends. 

A sad story all round. The boy is vilified, yet he has made a big mistake, his family will be devastated and no good will come of any retribution for what he has done.

We should be glad this happens so rarely and that this didn't happen to our families.

I was shocked and saddened to hear this on the news. But I won't judge, Not now.

What kind of sentence can you expect the guy to get in your country ? Will he walk free before he is 25 ?

If it's murder, then a mandatory life sentence. This would involve being incarcerated in a secure young offenders institution (what we used to call 'Borstal') until the age of 18, then he will be moved to prison.

Irrespective of whether a minimum sentence is imposed or not, murderers are only eligible for release when they convince the parole board that they are no longer a 'danger'. Any release is 'under licence', and any breaking of the terms of his parole means that they can be locked up again.

If it's manslaughter, then your guess is as good as mine.

Horrible news. RIP that poor woman, her family must be in bits - his too I'd imagine.

Thankfully I've never had a knife pulled on me at the school where I work but I have had to confiscate one after noticing him trying to hide it. Don't care if it was for his apple, the rule is no knives, except in the dining hall, which he wasn't even near.

Had a teacher help me in the end cos he didn't want to hand it over at first, even then it took the teacher a good few minutes to convince him to. And this was one of our usually 'normal' students.

So you lot still have decent sentences. Glad to hear.

Not tough enough of the Daily Mail readership though.

Hanging's too good for them, they say - and that's just for people convicted of playing music too loud.

I think it's a tad disrespectful to the deceased having the school "operate as normal" in the circumstances.

Just seen a report on the news and they have now named the lady who died as Anne Maguire. She looks a nice lady, my thoughts are with her family and friends.

I think it was a sensible decision EHR, not that the school was working completely normally, but.

The stabbing happened around lunchtime and the kids in the classroom immediately contacted 999, presumably via mobile phones and before anyone in authority within the school would have known too much - bear in mind this is a large school and campus with about 1000 kids of varying ages.

The kid that did it was held by other teachers until the police came. Not unreasonably they didn't want 1000 kids panicking, running around, leaving the school etc when the police were trying to secure a crime scene and deal with a class of traumatised kids, never mind try and save the teacher's life. The news then started to get out and parents started to come with their children released in as controlled a manner as possible - if any had turned up and the school didn't know where they were they would have complained and no doubt some parents couldn't come earlier.

So to keep the school running 'normally' with the kids contained and in their classrooms, bar those that witnessed the thing who were with the police, seems to me to have been the best possible thing to do. I'm sure it wasn't completely normal, but better that everyone was contained and occupied.

Cool Ilks, having read MrsRams post though I think the words they used could have been better, ie "The school is in deep shock but we are trying to operate as normally as possible.

It just came across as a bit cold to me, "Yeah we've had a member of staff killed today but hey, we're operating normally" kind of thing

Respect your point of view mate, but still think their statement could have been worded better. "http://knifewallpapers.com/smilies/thumbs_up_smiley" alt="thumbs_up_smiley">

Archived