MLB

Cisse

I think i am gonna put me a wager on a Mariners - Nats world series!

:(

Seriously though,I can see Mariners surprising no question with the pieces they have now,and I hate to say it...could see Nats up there as well.

MLB is not as predictable as it has been(I mean Royals making World Series!).Anything can happen.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:(

Seriously though,I can see Mariners surprising no question with the pieces they have now,and I hate to say it...could see Nats up there as well.

MLB is not as predictable as it has been(I mean Royals making World Series!).Anything can happen.

The Nats rotation is just incredible - Gio, Jordan Zim, Strasburg Fister and Sherzer!!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know there's probably not enough baseball fans on the forum to warrant this but I've going to post my predictions and mini preview for 2015 - there's much better and more information out there but allow me to indulge and in a few months I can come back to this to see how wrong I was:)

On the 'ins and outs' of players, it is not absolute but includes all major players and only the higher ranked prospects.

Feel free to comment.

AL East

1st Boston Red Sox

Like last year, this division is so difficult to call. Every team has a glaring weakness - the Red Sox have an average rotation but I like the line-up enough to predict them as winners. Pitchers tend to be more important nowadays in the bigger games but Boston has the chips to make a trade for a Cole Hamels type mid-season if necessary.

Notable Ins: Hanley Ramirez (LF), Pablo Sandoval (3B), Rick Porcello (SP) Justin Masterson (SP), Wade Miley (SP), Ryan Hanigan ©, Yoan Moncada (IF - prospect)

Notable Outs: Yoenis Cespedes (OF), Rubby de la Rosa (SP), Will Middlebrooks (3B), Anthony Ranaudo (SP/RP), David Ross ©

2nd Baltimore Orioles

The Orioles lost some power with Cruz leaving and their rotation remains average but they should get more out of 1B power hitter Chris Davis again and better health from catcher Matt Wieters and 3B star Manny Machado to remain very competitive.

Notable Ins: Travis Snyder (OF), Everth Cabrera (SS/2B)

Notable Outs: Nelson Cruz (DH), Nick Markakis (OF)

3rd Toronto Blue Jays

I am torn on the Blue Jays - they have gained alot with the likes of Donaldson and catcher, Russell Martin but they still have no good option for 2B and the bullpen isn't great. It's also a real shame that young star pitcher, Marcus Stroman is out for the season after tearing his ACL but hopefully the Canadians can end their 21 year play-off drought.

Notable Ins: Josh Donaldson (3B), Russell Martin ©, Michael Saunders (OF), Justin Smoak (DH/1B), Dayan Viciedo (OF/DH), Marco Estrada (SP/RP), Devon Travis (2B - prospect),

Notable Outs: Melky Cabrera (OF), Brett Lawrie (3B), Colby Rasmus (OF), J.A. Happ (SP), Adam Lind (DH/1B), Kendall Graveman (SP), Brandon Morrow (SP), Franklin Barreto (SS - prospect)

4th New York Yankees

After signing a fair few aging free agents in recent seasons, I think the Yankees are beginning to see sense and trying to get younger. If the rotation can stay healthy (the likes of Sabathia, Tanaka and Pineda), they will be in the mix but it's a big If. Perhaps the return of A-Rod can give them a slight boost but at the age of 40, I doubt it .

Notable Ins: Didi Gregorius (SS), Nathan Eovaldi (SP), Andrew Miller (RP), Garrett Jones (1B/DH)

Notable Outs: Derek Jeter (SS), Hiroki Kuroda (SP), Brandon McCarthy (SP), Martin Prado (IF-OF), Ichiro Suzuki (OF), David Robertson (RP), Shane Greene (SP)

5th Tampa Bay Rays

The Rays are lacking hitting and with the loss of Zobrist and Escobar, the defense looks questionable but they have potentially the best starting pitching rotation in the division and one of the best in the American League. I have ranked them last but if the likes of former Washington prospect, Souza and new catcher, Rivera work out, they could win this tightly contested division.

Notable Ins: Asdrubal Cabrera (SS/2B), John Jaso (C/DH), Steven Souza (OF), Rene Rivera ©, Daniel Robertson (SS - prospect)

Notable Outs: Ben Zobrist (INF/OF), Wil Myers (OF), Jeremy Hellickson (SP), Yunel Escobar (SS), Ryan Hanigan ©, Matt Joyce (OF)

AL Central

1st Detroit Tigers

The Tigers are aging and the slide could begin this year but i'm still just about backing them to win another division title. They will miss star pitcher, Scherzer but they still have David Price and one of the great hitters in Miguel Cabrera. A resurgent Justin Verlander could be the key difference.

Notable Ins: Yoenis Cespedes (OF), Shane Greene (SP), Alfredo Simon (SP)

Notable Outs: Max Scherzer (SP), Rick Porcello (SP), Torii Hunter (OF), Eugenio Suarez (SS), Robbie Ray (SP/RP), Devon Travis (2B - prospect)

2nd Cleveland Indians (WILD CARD)

It was a quiet offseason for the Tribe but this young team should get better and are a major threat to the Tigers' reign. They have quality young pitching, one of the best catchers (Brazilian, Yan Gomes) and should get a rebound campaign from 2B Jason Kipnis.

Notable Ins: Brandon Moss (1B/OF)

Notable Outs: None

3rd Chicago White Sox

The south-siders of the windy city have made obvious quality improvements throughout the roster and could be in the mix for at least a Wild Card spot. I don't think they will be as good as some are prognosticating but the club is certainly heading in the right direction.

Notable Ins: Jeff Samardzija (SP), Melky Cabrera (OF), Adam Laroche (1B/DH), David Roberston (RP)

Notable Outs: Paul Konerko (1B), Marcus Semien (IF), Dayan Viciedo (OF/DH)

4th Kansas City Royals

They still have some quality younger players like 1B Eric Hosmer and excellent defense but they have lost their pitching anchor (Shields) and their offseason additions look very uninspiring.

Notable Ins: Kendrys Morales (DH), Alex Rios (OF), Edinson Volquez (SP), Kris Medlen (SP)

Notable Outs: James Shields (SP), Billy Butler (DH), Nori Aoki (OF), Josh Willingham (OF)

5th Minnesota Twins

Unfortunately, I think the Twins will have another season of not being in contention but they could make some small improvements and the future could be very bright as they have one of the best farms in the game.

Notable Ins: Ervin Santana (SP), Torii Hunter (OF)

AL West

1st Seattle Mariners

On paper, the Mariners now have one of the most complete rosters in the game. I really like their pitching and the line-up should have a better balance this season - if they don't make the play-offs, heads could roll.

Notable Ins: Nelson Cruz (DH), Justin Ruggiano (OF), Seth Smith (OF), J.A. Happ (SP), Rickie Weeks (2B)

Notable Outs: Michael Saunders (OF), Corey Hart (1B), Brandon Maurer (RP), Chris Young (SP), Justin Smoak (1B/DH), Kendrys Morales (DH)

2nd Los Angeles Angels (WILD CARD)

I think the rotation lacks depth and losing 2B Kendrick could be a bigger loss than it first appears but they were excellent last season and have retained the majority of that roster with of course, future all-time great Mike Trout leading the way.

Notable Ins: Andrew Heaney (SP), Matt Joyce (OF)

Notable Outs: Howie Kendrick (2B), Hank Conger ©

3rd Oakland Athletics

General Manager, Billy Beane has been a busy boy and the A's have lost some excellent players such as Donaldson but they will likely be in the mix yet again. Small payroll clubs like Oakland and the Rays continue to show how big payrolls are not everything in sport.

Notable Ins: Ben Zobrist (INF/OF), Brett Lawrie (3B), Marcus Semien (INF), Billy Butler (DH), Jesse Hahn (SP), Tyler Clippard (RP), Ike Davis (1B), Kendall Graveman (SP), Franklin Barreto (SS - prospect)

Notable Outs: Josh Donaldson (3B), Jon Lester (SP), Jeff Samardzija (SP),Brandon Moss (1B/OF), Derek Norris ©, Jonny Gomes (OF), Jason Hammel (SP), John Jaso (C/DH), Jed Lowrie (SS), Adam Dunn (DH), Daniel Robertson (SS - prospect)

4th Houston Astros

It's been a very slow rebuild for the Astros but they continue to improve this season - they now have alot of power, although they will probably strikeout alot too. They are sneaky bets for a wild card spot but I think next year is more realistic.

Notable Ins: Luis Valbuena (3B), Evan Gattis (OF/C), Jed Lowrie (SS), Hank Conger ©,

Notable Outs: Dexter Fowler (OF), Mike Foltynewicz (SP/RP)

5th Texas Rangers

Well, I was thinking after all the injury bad luck in 2014, the Rangers would at least bounce back to some kind of dignified level but boom! Injuries strikes again - their pitching stud, Yu Darvish and the young 2B, Profar are out for the season. Ah well, at least they should get another high draft pick in 2016!

Notable Ins: Yovani Gallardo (SP), Anthony Ranaudo (SP/RP), Ross Detwiler (SP/RP)

Notable Outs: Alex Rios (OF), Luis Sardinas (INF)

NL East

1st Washington Nationals

One of the best pitching rotations in recent history and young talented players such as OF Bryce Harper and 3B Anthony Rendon make the Nats strong favorites for the division and an obvious contender to win it all.

Notable Ins: Max Scherzer (SP), Yunel Escobar (2B/SS), Trea Turner (SS - prospect)

Notable Outs: Adam Laroche (1B), Tyler Clippard (RP), Asdrubal Cabrera (SS/2B), Ross Detwiler (SP/RP), Steven Souza (OF)

2nd Miami Marlins (WILD CARD)

An interesting offseason for Miami, as they secured their standout player, OF Giancarlo Stanton on a long term contract - they possess an excellent outfield but the infield defense looks a little suspect. If their number 1 pitcher, Jose Fernandez comes back firing from injury, they will be Wild Card contenders and perhaps even make Washington sweat a little.

Notable Ins: Dee Gordon (2B), Martin Prado (INF), Ichiro Suzuki (OF), Dan Haren (SP), Michael Morse (1B/OF), Mat Latos (SP)

Notable Outs: Nathan Eovaldi (SP), Andrew Heaney (SP), Casey McGehee (3B), Garrett Jones (1B/DH)

3rd New York Mets

It was pretty quiet in Queens and despite their number 2 pitcher, Zach Wheeler going down to the Tommy John surgery epidemic, the Mets are one of the few teams who possess enough pitching depth to withstand such a blow. They could probably still do with a better SS but they need to start knocking on that Wild Card door.

Notable Ins: Michael Cuddyer (OF/1B)

4th Atlanta Braves

It would appear the Braves are planning a rebuild, as they have traded away three of their best position players for prospects. The farm has plenty of promise again. I think they'll beat the Phillies but only just.

Notable Ins: Shelby Miller (SP), Nick Markakis (OF), Jonny Gomes (OF), A.J. Pierzynski ©, Mike Foltynewicz (SP), Max Fried (SP - prospect)

Notable Outs: Justin Upton (OF), Jason Heyward (OF), Evan Gattis (OF/C), Kris Medlen (SP), Ervin Santana (SP), Aaron Harang (SP), Tommy La Stella (2B), David Hale (SP)

5th Philadelphia Phillies

General Manager, Ruben Amaro is finally starting to realise the aging Phillies have to rebuild to become relevant again. With their top pitchers, Cliff Lee seemingly already done for the season due to injury and Cole Hamels surely traded before midseason, they should be acquiring a very high draft pick for 2016!

Notable Ins: Aaron Harang (SP), Chad Billingsley (SP)

Notable Outs: Jimmy Rollins (SS), AJ Burnett (SP), Marlon Byrd (OF), Kyle Kendrick (SP)

NL Central

1st St Louis Cardinals

This was a tricky division to predict but if in doubt, go for the Cardinals. One of the most consistent and professionally ran teams in baseball will contend again but may need new OF Jason Heyward to plug back into his power game to fend off the talented Pirates and emerging Cubs.

Notable Ins: Jason Heyward (OF), Mark Reynolds (1B)

Notable Outs: Oscar Taveras (OF), Shelby Miller (SP), A.J. Pierzynski ©, Justin Masterson (SP)

2nd Pittsburgh Pirates (WILD CARD)

I like the position players more than the pitching but the Pirates have a growing reputation for getting the best out of their pitchers. If Korean hitter, Kang can adjust quickly and catcher, Cervelli can stay healthy - Pittsburgh could usurp St Louis.

Notable Ins: AJ Burnett (SP), Jung-ho Kang (INF), Corey Hart (1B/OF), Francisco Cervelli ©

Notable Outs: Russell Martin ©, Edinson Volquez (SP), Ike Davis (1B), Travis Snider (OF)

3rd Chicago Cubs

After a barren few years, the Cubs are heading upwards. They have plenty of talent emerging from the high minors with hitters, Kris Bryant and Jorge Soler leading the way. I think they'll fall just short of the play-offs this year but look for them to back up new number 1 pitcher Jon Lester next offseason with another high quality pitcher signing or two.

Notable Ins: Jon Lester (SP), Jason Hammel (SP), Miguel Montero ©, Dexter Fowler (OF), David Ross ©, Tommy La Stella (2B)

Notable Outs: Luis Valbuena (3B), Justin Ruggiano (OF)

4th Milwaukee Brewers

The Brew-Crew started well last season but faded badly. They have some very skillful players but I think their lack of impact moves made during the offseason will hurt them and it could be another fairly anonymous campaign.

Notable Ins: Luis Sardinas (INF), Adam Lind (1B)

Notable Outs: Yovani Gallardo (SP), Rickie Weeks (2B), Mark Reynolds (1B), Marco Estrada (SP/RP)

5th Cincinatti Reds

The Reds are caught between perhaps needing to rebuild but still wanting to contend. Their first team line-up and pitching is good enough to beat most teams but they badly lack depth and if they are out of the play-off picture by midseason, they could trade away one or two of their better players for prospects.

Notable Ins: Marlon Byrd (OF), Eugenio Suarez (SS)

Notable Outs: Mat Latos (SP), Alfredo Simon (SP)

NL West

1st Los Angeles Dodgers

It's hard to look past the Dodgers. Loaded with cash, they also now have some of the smartest higher management personnel in baseball. They have one or two injury-prone pitchers so that could be a concern but they will be strong again.

Notable Ins: Jimmy Rollins (SS), Howie Kendrick (2B), Yasmani Grandal ©, Brett Anderson (SP), Brandon McCarthy (SP)

Notable Outs: Hanley Ramirez (SS), Dee Gordon (2B), Matt Kemp (OF), Dan Haren (SP), Chad Billingsley (SP), Josh Beckett (SP)

2nd San Diego Padres

It's been a more entertaining offseason for Padres fans than is usual and the team certainly has bought in more power but perhaps at the expense of defense? Regardless, the pitching remains very strong and they should overtake the Giants this year.

Notable Ins: Matt Kemp (OF), Justin Upton (OF), Wil Myers (OF), Derek Norris ©, James Shields (SP), Brandon Maurer (RP), Will Middlebrooks (3B), Brandon Morrow (SP)

Notable Outs: Rene Rivera ©, Jesse Hahn (SP), Yasmani Grandal ©, Seth Smith (OF), Everth Cabrera (SS), Trea Turner (SS - prospect), Max Fried (SP - prospect)

3rd San Francisco Giants

The Giants generally try to retain their staff as much as possible and go with what they know and three out of the last five years it has clearly worked. They could still be contenders for a Wild Card placing but the hitting is lacking some bite.

Notable Ins: Nori Aoki (OF), Casey McGehee (3B)

Notable Outs: Pablo Sandoval (3B), Michael Morse (OF)

4th Colorado Rockies

Colorado are a strange team with a unique home ballpark this is notoriously difficult for pitching. It the same old story really - if somehow they can keep the talented trio of SS Trey Tulowitzki, 3B Nolan Arenado and OF Carlos Gonzalez off the treatment table, they have a chance but that's never really happened yet.

Notable Ins: Kyle Kendrick (SP), David Hale (SP)

Notable Outs: Michael Cuddyer (OF), Brett Anderson (SP)

5th Arizona Diamondbacks

The Snakes have changed management but based on their offseason moves, I'm not sure if it is for the better yet. They have some talented hitters like 1B, Paul Goldschmidt but the pitching looks very vulnerable and they don't really have a competent catcher on the whole roster.

Notable Ins: Jeremy Hellickson (SP), Ruben de la Rosa (SP), Yasmani Tomas (3B/OF), Robbie Ray (SP/RP)

Notable Outs: Miguel Montero ©, Wade Miley (SP), Didi Gregorius (SS)

NL East

1st Washington Nationals

One of the best pitching rotations in recent history and young talented players such as OF Bryce Harper and 3B Anthony Rendon make the Nats strong favorites for the division and an obvious contender to win it all.

Notable Ins: Max Scherzer (SP), Yunel Escobar (2B/SS), Trea Turner (SS - prospect)

Notable Outs: Adam Laroche (1B), Tyler Clippard (RP), Asdrubal Cabrera (SS/2B), Ross Detwiler (SP/RP), Steven Souza (OF)

2nd Miami Marlins (WILD CARD)

An interesting offseason for Miami, as they secured their standout player, OF Giancarlo Stanton on a long term contract - they possess an excellent outfield but the infield defense looks a little suspect. If their number 1 pitcher, Jose Fernandez comes back firing from injury, they will be Wild Card contenders and perhaps even make Washington sweat a little.

Notable Ins: Dee Gordon (2B), Martin Prado (INF), Ichiro Suzuki (OF), Dan Haren (SP), Michael Morse (1B/OF), Mat Latos (SP)

Notable Outs: Nathan Eovaldi (SP), Andrew Heaney (SP), Casey McGehee (3B), Garrett Jones (1B/DH)

3rd New York Mets

It was pretty quiet in Queens and despite their number 2 pitcher, Zach Wheeler going down to the Tommy John surgery epidemic, the Mets are one of the few teams who possess enough pitching depth to withstand such a blow. They could probably still do with a better SS but they need to start knocking on that Wild Card door.

Notable Ins: Michael Cuddyer (OF/1B)

4th Atlanta Braves

It would appear the Braves are planning a rebuild, as they have traded away three of their best position players for prospects. The farm has plenty of promise again. I think they'll beat the Phillies but only just.

Notable Ins: Shelby Miller (SP), Nick Markakis (OF), Jonny Gomes (OF), A.J. Pierzynski ©, Mike Foltynewicz (SP), Max Fried (SP - prospect)

Notable Outs: Justin Upton (OF), Jason Heyward (OF), Evan Gattis (OF/C), Kris Medlen (SP), Ervin Santana (SP), Aaron Harang (SP), Tommy La Stella (2B), David Hale (SP)

5th Philadelphia Phillies

General Manager, Ruben Amaro is finally starting to realise the aging Phillies have to rebuild to become relevant again. With their top pitchers, Cliff Lee seemingly already done for the season due to injury and Cole Hamels surely traded before midseason, they should be acquiring a very high draft pick for 2016!

Notable Ins: Aaron Harang (SP), Chad Billingsley (SP)

Notable Outs: Jimmy Rollins (SS), AJ Burnett (SP), Marlon Byrd (OF), Kyle Kendrick (SP)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived