MLB

Cisse

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Yep, shame for the Royals who don't get many chances at this but they've had a great year.

Had the pleasure of watching Bumgarner pitch a month ago - brilliant stuff. We'll see if Sandoval stays - being linked with the Red Sox, which seems a good fit.

Really like the Mariners' pitching outlook for 2015, I reckon they're just a first baseman and outfielder away.

The big story of course is Cardinals young outfielder, Oscar Taveras and his girlfriend tragically dying in a car crash - I follow the prospects side of thing quite closely now and selfishly, I'm gutted we'll never find out how good he could have been. Cherish every day.

Any fans of MLB here ? How did your interest start and what is your team ?

I used to live in Pittsburgh 1989 and started to follow the Pirates only just found out the 3 rivers stadium was demolished to make way for two separate stadiums 1 for Baseball and 1 for Football .I loved going to games at that ground lost touch now keep meaning to subscribe to ESPN.

• 3 months later...

Seems like the Braves are going for a semi-transitional stage, as they've dealt their two best outfielders (Heyward and Upton) and given up some power (Gattis) but they've brought back some exciting young pitchers for the future.

Looking forward to seeing how the Cubs fare this year - hopefully the beginning of something special.

Padres have been one of the busiest teams - brought in some decent power hitters in the outfield (Upton, Myers and Kemp), although the defence could stink!...they'll certainly be a more exciting team this year.

Red Sox should bounce back strong this year, although their roster is a tad unbalanced - far too many quality outfielders and a solid rotation but one that lacks any true ace (not that I think its a necessity).

Would be surprised if the World Series contenders (Giants and Royals) can repeat - both have lost key players, without really replacing them but hopefully they'll both still be competitive.

Seems like the Braves are going for a semi-transitional stage, as they've dealt their two best outfielders (Heyward and Upton) and given up some power (Gattis) but they've brought back some exciting young pitchers for the future.

Looking forward to seeing how the Cubs fare this year - hopefully the beginning of something special.

Padres have been one of the busiest teams - brought in some decent power hitters in the outfield (Upton, Myers and Kemp), although the defence could stink!...they'll certainly be a more exciting team this year.

Red Sox should bounce back strong this year, although their roster is a tad unbalanced - far too many quality outfielders and a solid rotation but one that lacks any true ace (not that I think its a necessity).

Would be surprised if the World Series contenders (Giants and Royals) can repeat - both have lost key players, without really replacing them but hopefully they'll both still be competitive.

Braves are doomed. They are also a very boring team to watch, unless they have a small lead going into the 9th and kimbrel comes in. Padres will be good, especially with Kemp returning to MVP levels in the 2nd half of last season. You're right on the Red Sox, but they may squeak in. Giants and Royals totally overrated. Expect a great season from Matt Harvey who's back and the A's will be even better this year, as we've spiced up the pitching again, bringing Clippard in and a group of young starters.

Best 3 NL teams: CUBS, NATIONALS, DODGERS

Best 3 AL teams: MARINERS, ORIOLES, TIGERS

Yeah I always like the A's to do well...I'm abit torn by their offseason - didn't really like the Donaldson trade - it depends if Lawrie can stay healthy I suppose. Their season could go either way but gotta love Billy Beane, always keeps everyone on their toes.

I think I'll do some predictions in a month or so but at the moment, I'm less bullish on the Orioles than you - again, I see some pros and cons in their offseason. Obviously if they can get productive and healthy seasons from Davis, Wieters and Machado this season, they could be even better (plus the young Schoop could improve)...but on the flip side, I don't like their outfield at the moment, they've lost Cruz's pop and their rotation is abit 50-50 to me plus their GM was being targeted by the Blue Jays (from the Toronto POV, that played out terribly and did not show them up in a good light at all), which could destabilise the club a little.

I also see the Cubs more as wild card hopes at the moment than league winners but I hope I'm wrong - the Cardinals are so solid and such a well ran club and I've really warmed to the Pirates, plenty of talent.

Don't write of the cubbies this year. They are serious. Arrieta and Lester will anchor their rotation and they will be powered by Rizzo, Soler and Baez. But the best move they made is getting Maddon which will make them contenders in of itself. 

Donaldson only hit .255 last year but his defence is incredible. Lawrie should bring similar defence and could arguably be better if he stays fit. Getting rid of lousy players like Lowrie, as well as Hammel and Gregerson helps the As. Their hitting isn't all that still, and is probably weaker overall. Beane totally screwed up with the Shark and Lester thing and trading Russell and Cespedes. Killed team morale instantly last year and gave away a future star ss, in Russell, who would have started this season. Still, getting Zobrist was huge and Billy Butler can hit for average. 

And you're right about the cardinals, although i think the Pirates will struggle on account of a starting pitching weak area.

I'm not writing off the Cubs at all - just feel they'll just fall short of winning the NL Central but fancy them for a Wild Card spot...I'm very excited for their next few seasons.

Yeah, I can understand why they went for Lester and Shark but the gamble clearly didn't pay off (although if Soto didn't leave the Royals game, who knows...). Zobrist is a nice get...not sure about Siemen at SS, we'll see. Some writers seemed to slate the signing but I agree and think Butler could be a sneaky good move.

I think Pirates pitching all depends on Gerritt Cole, he could have a monster year and lead the way or be injured, inconsistent etc. and they fall short.

Mariners are looking even stronger this season...they were so close last year, just ran out of time really.

Probably the toughest division though - if their pitching prospects (Walker and Paxton) start to fulfil their potential and new bat Cruz can at least be 75% as good as last season (hit 40 homers and .271 BA), then they will probably win it. I'd expect them to at least be fighting for a Wild Card spot to the end again.

You lot seem to know a lot. What kind of chances the Mariners has this season to reach the play offs ?

They should win the west for sure. Pitching is superb, with two bona fide aces in King Felix, Iwakuma and big tall Paxton is no slouch either. Then you add Taijuan Walker and Happ and you may have the best rotation in baseball. Hitting wise they've added Cruz and Cano will be Cano. They could go all the way, forget just making the playoffs. Last season they got caught too far behind and it was too late to catch up but they almost did. Factor in a questionable Angels - don't like their pitching even with Richards coming back. 

Archived