Paul Simpson x

Alph

I think out of the new coaching team and general revamp of the club, Simpson has impressed me the most.  Listening to him talk it becomes very apparent that he knows what he's on about, and he doesn't tend to simply talk in the general way that most managers or coaches do ("I can't fault the effort" etc) - he often talks in quite technical terms, and I think it's quite rare for coaches to do that.

Take what he said just there: many coaches would have talked about "individual errors" or "players not carrying out the game plan", but his candour in admitting that we have tightened up, and maybe we've lost something as a result, is quite refreshing.  I always listen to interviews with him with keen interest.

Also, kudos to you Alpha - he's basically admitted everything you called after the Millwall game!

I think Simpson is being primed as Mac's replacement when he inevitably takes the next big job. I think he would do a good job. I would like to see us get a really good defensive coach though. Andy Farrell or Graham Rowntree would stiffen things up.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I noticed last night that I wouldn't mind seeing changed is our reaction to losing to possession. As soon as we lose it one or two players at most press while the rest of the team get back into position. I'd rather have three or four players pressing and the other players delaying getting back in to position. I think we'd be that bit more attacking if we did this, but we'd ship a few more as well. Maybe that's their thinking though, the greater risk of conceding wouldn't be worth it because teams would just nick one goal leads and stick everybody back.

Archived