Derby County v Queens Park Rangers

sage

Very hard to leave Eustace out given the last time we did that, we were overrun at Fester. Was disappointed Thorne didn't get on the pitch against Brum, but because of that Eustace will start, probably pick up a booking and Thorne will come on for the last 20, ready to slot in for the next one.

True but we put Hendrick there to fill the gap, and he's about as much of a CDM as he is a GK, Thorne is a very good player. Premier league quality in fact and i was excited when we bought him in. He's alot more of a defensive minded player and his passing stats per game are very good. Dont get me wrong Eustace has been a very good addition this year but he was always intended to be a squad player,  i think the season is starting to take its toll on him and hes often a yard off the pace. I think we need the youth, energy and defensive mindedness of Thorne against a very strong QPR midfield and attack.

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The number of people who are saying that Thorne is this and Thorne is that - you are judging this on how many times you have seen him play?

About none, at a guess.

The number of people who are saying that Thorne is this and Thorne is that - you are judging this on how many times you have seen him play?

About none, at a guess.

Do you mean seen him play live or seen him play via highlights etc? i've seen him on tv yes, not live. I've never seen messi play live but i know he's a good player? there are a lot more outlets to tell you whether or not somebody is good than having to go and watch them to draw that conclusion. Other teams fan forums, online statistics ie pass completion, tackles made, positions made on the field etc, the fact he's an england youth international and the fact he's just signed a new contract at west brom tells me all i need to know.

This game moulds our season. A defeat and themselfs and Burnley are to far ahead IMO with games in hand. Win and we're really in it, could be really interesting.

Yeah... unfortinately it's when it comes to this sort of game where a win would really push us on, that we have a habit of falling down, especially under Clough but I'd say continuing under McClaren a little bit so far.

I'd say the home loss to Wigan, letting a 2 goal lead slip at Birmingham and that horror show at Leicester have been big games in the context of where we are and where we want to be - they all came at a time where just getting a little more from those games would have kept us well and truly in automatics contention.

About none, at a guess.

I think a lot of people would like to see what he'd be like and what he'd do to the defense. It's obviously not a winning combination in our back 6 so people are going to be open to tinkering with it, not an attack on Eustace.

Also Derbados has that spot on.

True but we put Hendrick there to fill the gap, and he's about as much of a CDM as he is a GK, Thorne is a very good player. Premier league quality in fact and i was excited when we bought him in. He's alot more of a defensive minded player and his passing stats per game are very good. Dont get me wrong Eustace has been a very good addition this year but he was always intended to be a squad player, i think the season is starting to take its toll on him and hes often a yard off the pace. I think we need the youth, energy and defensive mindedness of Thorne against a very strong QPR midfield and attack.

You really think that Hendrick is as much a GK as a CDM? Yes it's not his natural position but he is a centre midfield player, he should be able to play that role, he can tackle, read the game, head it etc, he isn't exactly an attacking midfield player in the mould of mata etc. It seems people are using this as an excuse for his performance that night he played the deepest in a central 2 enough times

I think a lot of people would like to see what he'd be like and what he'd do to the defense. It's obviously not a winning combination in our back 6 so people are going to be open to tinkering with it, not an attack on Eustace.

Also Derbados has that spot on.

Well, there were many who were quick to write off Eustace as a pathetic signing by Clough, but he fitted in to the style of play very well. Thorne may be the bee's knees, but then again others have come with that reputation too.

The fact that McClaren has brought him in gives me confidence - the fact that he is an England youth international (as Derbados pointed out) doesn't necessarily. So is Keane - and he couldn't displace Bucko or Keogh. Experience counts for a lot.

You really think that Hendrick is as much a GK as a CDM? Yes it's not his natural position but he is a centre midfield player, he should be able to play that role, he can tackle, read the game, head it etc, he isn't exactly an attacking midfield player in the mould of mata etc. It seems people are using this as an excuse for his performance that night he played the deepest in a central 2 enough times

People pay too much attention to Football Manager. This CDM, AMLWXXPQZ ****** makes everyone think that they know what they are rabbiting on about.

People pay too much attention to Football Manager. This CDM, AMLWXXPQZ ****** makes everyone think that they know what they are rabbiting on about.

you do realize DM is a recognized position in football and is completley different to a CM?. For instance look at Sergio Busquets, probably the best DM in the world, it takes years to learn that position, you cant just slot any midfielder into that role and expect them to be good at it - Hendrick is the prime example - also Hughes when clough put him there.  

you do realize DM is a recognized position in football and is completley different to a CM?. For instance look at Sergio Busquets, probably the best DM in the world, it takes years to learn that position, you cant just slot any midfielder into that role and expect them to be good at it - Hendrick is the prime example - also Hughes when clough put him there.  

I realise a lot more than you think.

When the opposition have the ball, ALL midfielders (and forwards for that matter) are expected to defend in some way,shape or form. Some midfielders are more attack-minded than others, but you make it out to be a specific position like goalkeeper. There is no requirement to have a CDM or any other bar of chocolate for that matter. There is a requirement though for a balance in midfield between creation and destruction.

Stop trying to over-complicate a really simple game. This is football, not bloody netball - players don't have letters plastered over their bibs and have pre-ordained places where they have to stand. There are people who would suggest that the best role for Hughes is precisely the role which you are criticising Clough for playing him in ('put him there', you said, as if it's a specific place where he has to stand), allowing him to pick up the ball early and to dictate the whole shape of play.

but you make it out to be a specific position like goalkeeper. 

It is a specific position! a DM is a recognised position in football as is CB, LB, LM, ST, etc   you can have four CM's or whatever you like depending on your formation, the DM position is for teams that like to play counter attack i.e Derby! it gives protection to the back four whilst allowing time for the rest of the midfield to get back and defend as they will be pushed higher up the pitch for quick attacking football. It stops teams being able to counter on us whilst we play a higher line and the fullbacks bomb on. Hughes struggled in DM as did Hendrick because it is a completely different position to CM with a completely different set of tactics and way of thinking 

Busquets is a fantastic footballer who plays that role for the team yet he is a pretty complete midfield player.

All the players who play that position can play and have in a basic midfield to, lampard and Gerard even play that role and they are more attacking players than Hendrick. If Hendrick can't read the game, tackle, pass, win his headers and be disciplined he shouldn't be a midfield player. As I said before he isn't a attacking player so what is he then? Playing the holding player in a 3 is easier than playing as a 2 you just sit and be disciplined that's why many drop back there when they lose there pace

Archived