George Thorne

North_Stand_Ram

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you think our chairman won't turn down good money in order to prove a point then think again. How much he would be willing to turn down is another matter, but I suspect it would be more than Derby are willing to bid.

Maybe, but like I said, looking through your past seasons you've have to sell in order to buy and currently you've not got a lot of players you can afford to lose in order to bring in some funds. Thorne is one of the few you could sell and it not have a huge impact on the first team

It's also worth noting that when Koumas fell out with the club, he was put on the transfer list and loaned out to Cardiff. He was a hit at Ninian and so Cardiff then tried to sign him on the 'cheap', but Peace wouldn't budge on his valuation. Whilst negotiations continued, Koumas effectively went on strike and refused to train at Albion - in an attempt to burn his bridges and force a deal through (sound familiar?) however Peace was having none of it and forced him to return to Albion.

So as I said, I would be very surprised if Thorne was now sold - unless you came in with a silly bid like £4 or £5m, which I guess is unlikely.

In the past players that have fell out with Albion and have tried but ultimately failed to force moves (Koumas & Odemwingie spring to mind) have then been given the opportunity to return, patch things up and revive their careers at the Albion. I am pretty sure that Thorne will also be given this opportunity. If he takes it we might just have a good player on out hands, if he refuses the offer I can see him spending the next 3 years training with the youth team.

Of course all of the above is just my opinion - it will be very interesting to see how things actually unfold over the next few weeks.

Quoting the key parts here.

Thorne at this time hasn't performance at West Brom and has a history which includes a serious injury. I seriously doubt a bid of ~£2 mil would be passed up by the club unless they plan for him to be first choice next season, unless West Brom feel the need to put the squad under more pressure on "principle".

For that matter, your fans are a precious bunch aren't they? A young lad, on the back of a good loan spell when asked, while on holiday no less, if he was looking to stay at West Brom after the loan (or something like that) responded that he would only want to stay if he were given the chance to fight for his place. He didn't say "get me out of this club", "I'm on strike until I'm allowed to go" or even the classic "I'm a slave of the modern age, let me leave!!!". What he said was completely understandable and reasonable, and once the media spin is taken out, exactly what West Brom fans would want him to say if he were to stay.

So the question then comes back to, how much is he worth to West Brom, and if you seriously think he is worth sticking in the reserves with a ~£2 mil bid on offer, that is absolutely bizarre.

To me it just looks like West Brom are trying to play hardball to get the best fee for the club and are trying to show Derby that they are serious. We'll have to see what happens, but I really don't get hurt attitude by West Brom fans.

George thorne played for england at every level from u16 to u19.

No doubt he will get further international honours too.

He has proved his class and radically improved us.

The bids that are being talked about on here as a serious opening gambit are a joke.

They show that we aren't serious.

We'll move on to other targets without having disclosed our fund.

Anything else is just pretence and bullsh1t.

When we were in pursuit of Barker our first offer was under half of what we paid for him. It's just business.

That was dealing with a championship club, smaller than us, and if we bid less than £500k then that was just as pointless too.

I think the noises coming from west brom are genuine, I really don't think they want to sell anybody. Thorne is a talent, WBA realise that and although he's gaffed up it looks like they are willing to give him a second chance. I certainly don't think Sherwood coming in (apparently) has helped our cause, he'll probably put his arm round Thorne, give him a cuddle and tell him he's brilliant and that will be it, he will stay. I'd throw the cards all in and not waste anymore time on it. I'd wait until the new manager had assessed where Thorne stands, then throw a maximum £3m bid on the table, take it or leave it . I'f the new manager decides Thornes a starter in his team next season fair enough, but if the chairman turns it down to prove a point that "nobody messes with me" well then he's a c**t isn't he and a ***** businesman.

We are supposed to have £3-£4m from wembley.

If we can't afford him then say so.

If we can afford £3m then bid it.

If we can only afford £2m then bid it.

Be honest with the player, the fans and west brom.

Give it our best shot.

If it fails then we must look elsewhere.

But all this bull about we are going to have a real go at signing him and then bid less than £1m is just pathetic.

And there are no clever moves that will tempt west brom to lower their asking price.

Either we can afford him or we can't.

Quoting the key parts here.

Thorne at this time hasn't performance at West Brom and has a history which includes a serious injury. I seriously doubt a bid of ~£2 mil would be passed up by the club unless they plan for him to be first choice next season, unless West Brom feel the need to put the squad under more pressure on "principle".

For that matter, your fans are a precious bunch aren't they? A young lad, on the back of a good loan spell when asked, while on holiday no less, if he was looking to stay at West Brom after the loan (or something like that) responded that he would only want to stay if he were given the chance to fight for his place. He didn't say "get me out of this club", "I'm on strike until I'm allowed to go" or even the classic "I'm a slave of the modern age, let me leave!!!". What he said was completely understandable and reasonable, and once the media spin is taken out, exactly what West Brom fans would want him to say if he were to stay.

So the question then comes back to, how much is he worth to West Brom, and if you seriously think he is worth sticking in the reserves with a ~£2 mil bid on offer, that is absolutely bizarre.

To me it just looks like West Brom are trying to play hardball to get the best fee for the club and are trying to show Derby that they are serious. We'll have to see what happens, but I really don't get hurt attitude by West Brom fans.

One of the main reasons (prior to his little outburst) that we wouldn't want to sell is because of the sheer number of players we already need to bring in this summer.

Before his injury, he was just about breaking into our 1st team - if we accepted your £2million, which Premiership club is going to sell us their 21 year old of similar ability for that price? Answer = Not one would.

Your second paragraph is rubbish I'm afraid!

"But one thing I will rule out is that I won't be going anywhere to be a squad player". Is hardly saying that he would be happy to stay with us if he was given a chance, is it? On that note, if you made a successful bid, how would you feel if he demands as part of his contract that if fit he HAS to be picked? It's fine when he's playing well, but what about when the inevitable slump in form comes along?

Having read the clubs statement, I really don't think we have any intentions of selling - IMO it was not a bit of propaganda designed to get your chairman to offer an extra £1m or so. But like anything, Thorne will have his price and if silly money is offered then of course Peace won't turn it down. So the question is how much is Thorne worth to Derby?

Do we want to buy him or not?

...spot on...i say raise our next bid to 15m to show we're serious!!!...

plonker.

as previously stated, why would we offer a ridiculous fee for a fairly unproven prem player, considering we rarely pay over £1m for most of our 'big ticket' signings (russell for example)? Its a typical haggle, they want a high price we start with a low price, the two clubs keep bartering and haggling their way to a fee somewhere in the middle of what both parties initially hoped the price would be. I think £900k-£1m is a reasonable starting price if we were looking to pay no more than £2m-£2.75m.

however said all this, the longer this goes on, the less hopeful i am of getting him and he'll fade away and become one of those obscure players we look back on in 15-20 years time and think cor blimey, he used to be class! but we failed to sign him he rotted away in WBA's reserves and ended up being an apprentince joiner playing for basingstoke town. but i hope im wrong, the lad's class!!

Archived