George Thorne

North_Stand_Ram

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chris Wood was a proven Championship goal scorer, a full international and at the time if sale was younger than Thorne with a year and a half left to run in his contract. He went for about a million quid. Why should we expect to pay much more for Thorne?

WBA fan here. 

I like most WBA fans am disappointed with the way Thorne has spoken about the club, especially after giving him a new contract after a near 18 month injury. How he can moan about not having many first team games during this time is baffling. He was sent out on loan to gain fitness and probably didn't expect to do so well at Derby. 

I'd be surprised to see Thorne play for WBA again, but what I do know is that there is no way Jeremy Peace will let him go cheaply. There's no way in hell he will be sold for 1.5-2 million pounds. In the last 10 games he was arguably the best midfielder in the championship. 

JP is as stubborn as they come and will have no problem in putting him in the reserves until a fee matches the going rate for young english players. 

Still reading on here with interest.

Something I'm struggling to understand is how you seem to rate Thorne and Hughes ability wise (many seem to prefer Thorne). 

Yet Thorne seems to be worth around £2m and Hughes is anywhere from £8-£15m how's this work?

Fee for Chris Wood was £2 million plus add ons.

He was tried in the Premiership and was not very good, Thorne was starting to get regular games in the Premier League before his ACL, plus he has now been shown to be probably too good for the Championship, still has question marks as a top player but he looked very good for you, hence his increase in value.

Would I pay £5 million for him, no way at the moment, but I'm not the one making all the noises.

Chris Wood was a proven Championship goal scorer, a full international and at the time if sale was younger than Thorne with a year and a half left to run in his contract. He went for about a million quid. Why should we expect to pay much more for Thorne?

Chris Wood wasn't rated that highly by our coaching staff. It was pretty clear he wasn't a premier league striker. 

He has signed a contract, he is ours for 3 years, nothing he can do about it now other than sulk or man up and play for a place in the team.

He is not an important part of our squad, just an emerging player, there is arguably better coming through in the same position anyway, at £5000 a week, JP will let him rot until he chooses to sell him, and he is right to do so, if you were in the same position, you would say the same.

He's not part of the squad and there's better coming through in his position? But he's worth 8 million.

And if your chairman's ready to let a young player rot who just wants to play then he's a disgusting human being.

Well he is now isn't he, and you could do with him back to be honest!

Oh yes he's had an absolute monster of a season for Leicester. A whopping 4 league goals. Please go get him back JP. 

I said not an important part of the squad, I also said he was worth £5 million or less. JP is a hard nosed business man, he may not be the nicest man in football, but he will not be dictated to by a player.

Something I'm struggling to understand is how you seem to rate Thorne and Hughes ability wise (many seem to prefer Thorne). 

Yet Thorne seems to be worth around £2m and Hughes is anywhere from £8-£15m how's this work?

Some of the valuations on here for Hughes are dumb but he is worth more than Thorne. Hughes is 2 years younger and has already played nearly double the games Thorne has during his career. Thorne is being linked with a move down a league whilst Hughes is being linked with the top clubs in England

Most people probably prefer Thorne because the role he plays for us is one of the most important in our team. Hughes' role is basically to be one of the 5 attacking players, Thorne's is to help start moves and also protect the defence. If Hughes is off his game there's another 4 attacking players who can make up for that, if Thorne is having a poor game the defence is vulnerable 

Hughes is 2 years younger which is the first factor that makes a big difference. I'd say they're currently as good as each other.

The main contributing factor to price though is demand. Hughes plays in a way not many other English players do, and thats attracted the interest of the biggest teams in the country (and apparently some outside).

Whilst more than likely, if they both play for us next season, they will have similar input on the field. Hughes will still be worth more if big clubs are sniffing around. Something which isn't happening with Thorne.

I personally think the value a lot of DCFC fans are putting on Will Hughes is way over the top. Thorne is worth more to the team that Hughes is for me but IMO both are roughly the same value. I would pay up to £4 Million for Thorne - on the basis he is proven to add something to us, so it isn't a risk.

I would be tempted to do a straight swap but I don't want to lose quality players unless I know they are being replaced,

However, as far as I know, we've never received a bid for Will Hughes and he's never been linked with any lower level Prem club - I think that says something about the level of contribution he may or may not be able to offer for these teams...

Anyway - I think I'm in the minority.

By the way - Can a West Brom fan tell me why Odemwingie wasn't rotting away in the reserves?

I think some people are getting carried away. Thorne couldn't get into the team for 2 months, he was being kept out by a 34 year old. And it was only in the last few games he stood out, but so did Hendrick.

Don't get me wrong Thorne is a good player and we should get him, but he's gone from a few good games in the championship to 8 million somehow and that's just ridiculous.

It would be like us demanding 8 million for Mark O'brien

Of course Derby fans will think Hughes is worth 6 million and Thorne is worth 2 million.

Because we have Hughes and we want Thorne.

Most fans outside the football club will say they are a similar standard Hughes probably a bit more expensive.

In reality Hughes are different type of players but similar standard and a similar price. 

I think some people are getting carried away. Thorne couldn't get into the team for 2 months, he was being kept out by a 34 year old. And it was only in the last few games he stood out, but so did Hendrick.

Don't get me wrong Thorne is a good player and we should get him, but he's gone from a few good games in the championship to 8 million somehow and that's just ridiculous.

It would be like us demanding 8 million for Mark O'brien

Can't really compare him to Mark Obrien can we.

Also he wasn't given a chance because Eustace was playing so well and doing nothing wrong. 

While he's a 'hard nosed businessman', I'm assuming he's not an absolute moron. Anything more than 3.5 million is an absolute steal for WBA.

He's 21, not 19. All the big bits of business for English youngsters has been for 17/18/19 year olds who haven't had horrific injuries and they're usually for exciting flair players, not a CDM who can pass well. The reason Hughes is seen to be worth so much is that he's a unique English youngster, he plays like a Spanish CM and for that reason he's rated by a lot of top teams and is rumoured to be followed by Barca. Thorne isn't unique, he's like countless other CDM's.

Just because he's spoken out doesn't mean WBA are going to go off on one and demand 8 million just to spite us.

Archived