36 Shots....

Day

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it looked like it hit the bar from the other end of the pitch, it changed direction. Was flying towards Row O, Seat 93, then changed direction towards Row T, Seat 189.

But 36 shots only 9 on target isnt very accurate shooting is it? Even allowing for the 2 or 3 that hit woodwork. Their keeper was quite busy but we didnt really work him that much. Would have been a travesty if we hadnt won, should have had 6 at least, I thought Martin should have had peno too. 

But 36 shots only 9 on target isnt very accurate shooting is it? Even allowing for the 2 or 3 that hit woodwork. Their keeper was quite busy but we didnt really work him that much. Would have been a travesty if we hadnt won, should have had 6 at least, I thought Martin should have had peno too. 

The '9 on target' stuff is nonsense - you can infer from a goalkeeper making a save that the shot was more than likely 'on target' but how can a BBC guy sitting in the press box make a judgement on one that is blocked when it's hardly travelled a yard? 

The '9 on target' stuff is nonsense - you can infer from a goalkeeper making a save that the shot was more than likely 'on target' but how can a BBC guy sitting in the press box make a judgement on one that is blocked when it's hardly travelled a yard? 

OPTA cameras and computers collate the data.

OPTA cameras and computers collate the data.

Really? I never realised that it was 'real time' - I also never realised that 'hawk eye' type ball-tracking technology was in use at football grounds. I've just had a look at OPTA's definition of a 'shot on target'...

a)    Goes into the net

b)    Would have gone into the net but for being stopped by a goalkeeper's save

c)    Would have gone into the net but for being stopped by a defender who is the last man.

Really? I never realised that it was 'real time' - I also never realised that 'hawk eye' type ball-tracking technology was in use at football grounds. I've just had a look at OPTA's definition of a 'shot on target'...

a)    Goes into the net

c)    Would have gone into the net but for being stopped by a defender who is the last man.

Ok. We had quite few shots blocked last night, so is a shot off target if it is blocked by a defender who is not the last man? Or does it not count as a shot at all?

TBF, 3 goals and hitting the woodwork 3 times is a fair effort but if wed been really clinical it could have been 10 goals or more.

That's exactly the way I'm looking at it, Pete. It doesn't seem to even count as a shot - or by default it's defined as a shot that is 'not on target'.

a)    Goes into the net

from my understanding, the opta technology tracks things, but the human interaction confirms certain things.

One thing that annoys me about shot stats.

A few weeks I saw a post where someone said something about us only have 2 shots or something like that on target. Like those are the only shots that count.

But a shot from 30 yards that rolls to the keeper is 'on target' where as a wonderful move that finishes in a shot that just goes inches wide is 'off target'.

Doesn't matter. Just remember thinking we'd created a few chances and the comment 'we've only had two shots on target' wasn't really representative of how close we'd come to scoring.

Forsyth has probably had two of the best chances in the last two games. Neither hit the target but for he came bloody close.

Just seems when reading out stats 'shots off target' are dismissed to easily.

I get more frustrated watch a player in a 1v1 shoot into the keeper than put it wide by an inch. Yet statistically he'll do better out of it. I think you should atleast be able to put the ball around the only fooker stood in the way!!

Interesting stats from last night:

Man city - shots: 24; on target: 10; goals: 5

Chelsea - shots: 39; on target: 9; goals: 0

Derby - shots: 36; on target: 9; goals: 3

Not entirely sure what that tells us. We're more clinical than Chelsea?

I think the point is that if you keep creating opportunities and peppering the goal, goals aren't necessarily inevitable, but it's certainly a better idea than simply taking two shots all game and hoping they go in (although even that works sometimes, such is the unpredictability of football, and why we live it).

Didn't we used to have the most clinical strike force at one point, in terms of the shots to goals ratio? How are we doing on that star now?

Interesting stats from last night:

Man city - shots: 24; on target: 10; goals: 5

Chelsea - shots: 39; on target: 9; goals: 0

Derby - shots: 36; on target: 9; goals: 3

Not entirely sure what that tells us. We're more clinical than Chelsea?

I think the point is that if you keep creating opportunities and peppering the goal, goals aren't necessarily inevitable, but it's certainly a better idea than simply taking two shots all game and hoping they go in (although even that works sometimes, such is the unpredictability of football, and why we live it).

Didn't we used to have the most clinical strike force at one point, in terms of the shots to goals ratio? How are we doing on that star now?

It tells me that

1. Man City are currently playing much better football than anyone else (and they were playing against 10 men)

2. Derby and Chelsea were hosting very poor sides that have only managed 5 away wins between them all season

It tells me that

1. Man City are currently playing much better football than anyone else (and they were playing against 10 men)

2. Derby and Chelsea were hosting very poor sides that have only managed 5 away wins between them all season

It tells me that as well as being one of the best two sides in Europe at the moment, Man City were in the lead from the early stages, so Tottenham had to chase the game (coupled with being a man down following an utterly ludicrous decision). This tends to lead to far more 'clearer' opportunities.

Tells me that Man City, Chelsea and Derby had quite a few shots

West Hams keeper was mobbed after the game as he had played a blinder. Yeovils keeper didnt play a blinder. Still we won and Chelsea didnt.

Archived