The demise of Forest

ladyram

I don't buy into superlatives either - the same could be almost said about Hughes, although I think he's above average already - in his case 'good' or 'great' are the two likely outcomes, but players do level off or even crash and burn. A level head is required. If he's not as good as he thinks he is (and that goes for anyone), the only way is down.

The last 'great' player at Derby or Forest , in my opinion, was Colin Todd or perhaps Peter Shilton. Others might disagree.

Roy Keane, Stuart Pearce, Stan Collymore, Pierre Van Hooijdonk?

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roy Keane, Stuart Pearce, Stan Collymore, Pierre Van Hooijdonk?

Thug, Thug, Republican Woman-beating Dogging Thug, Work-shy Striker

All very good. None of 'em great. I agree with Eddie, can't think of one since Shilton.

All a matter of opinion, Roy Keane certainly was at Forest and was a completely different kind of player to the snarling Neanderthal he turned into at Man Utd. Pearce was a great left-back, winning 78 caps for England. Collymore had the potential to be great over his career but his attitude ruined that. He was great in the 94/95 season for Forest though, shown by his £8.5m move to Liverpool. Van Hooijdonk scored goals all over Europe, played in major championships for a very strong Dutch side and surely is one of the best free-kick takers of all time.

I forgot Des Walker as well who was certainly great. Juventus bid £5m for him in 1990 which would have been a world record for a defender.

Roy Keane was great, just not while he was at forest. If Stuart Pearce was great so was Mark Wright, and at that point your definition of great is getting too broad - good internationals, but not greats. Wouldn't swap Collymore or Van Hooijdonk for Dean Saunders, Ciccio Baiano or Paulo Wanchope.

...and if you're getting into players who only had a cameo at the club and made their name elsewhere, like Van Hooijdonk,we're having Taribo West and Fabrizio Ravanelli. Not greats for me, any of them.

I'd agree with Todd and Shilton to be fair.

...and if you're getting into players who only had a cameo at the club and made their name elsewhere, like Van Hooijdonk,we're having Taribo West and Fabrizio Ravanelli. Not greats for me, any of them.

I'd agree with Todd and Shilton to be fair.

I did not include Teddy Sheringham who was OK at Forest but not the goal machine he had been at Millwall or the intelligtent creator he was later in his career.

Van Hooijdonk probably is stretching it as he was great in Division One but only scored 7 goals in around 25 Premier League appearances. He had a great overall career though.

The others I stand by and Hans Van Breukelen who was a Dutch international keeper and later won the European Cup with PSV should be there as well.

Seeing as you've spent most of your time since Shilton et al in the lower divisions, how can any of your players have been 'great'. No offence against lower league players, but if they were 'great' they'd be playing for Real Madrid, not shitty Forest in the second or third tier.

And if the players you had in the top tier (can't remember, have you ever been in the prem? I'm having to use old money in case) were really great, then you'd not have the consistently worst top tier record in history.

I would have to agree with the ding bats from down the road with this one.

Pearce, Keane and Collymore were all really really good players as was Des Walker, but Van hooydonkey... not for me I am afraid.

Of course, their best player ever.....was our Nigel..

Collymore was good at forest, however could not step up, and he won nothing, ergo not a great, just a thug.

Pearce hand full of league cups, long career as an international, great player, unknown as a league manager, there has been forest defenders that have achieved more for forest.

Keane - Man Uniited legend, thug on the pitch, articulate and opinionated off it.

Shilton - definition of a legend

Archived