time to rest Martin (and put him on intensive fitness regime)?

Mostyn6

At the minute, the whole team is out of form. We're not playing the fast, fluid football we did at the start of the season and we're not scoring as many goals. This isn't down to one individual player, neither Ward, Dawkins or Martin. It is a dip in form that most teams will suffer from at some point during the season, whether its down to fatigue or not, we don't know. What does matters is how we respond. It's an encouraging sign that we're still getting good results at the minute despite being off the boil and when the form comes back which it (hopefully) will. Then we can push on and hopefully be challenging for the top two spots. 

Everyone needs to keep their heads up and get behind the team. COYR

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it their fault he misses penalties as well then. Must be Wardys fault he has to be blamed for everything including the thunderbirds kit lol. As for Dawkins it's funny how people have gone from raving about how good he was to slagging him off .

Personally I think Martins poor form is down to Martin himself but I think he will come good again hopefully

Good shout on blaming Ward for the Thunderbirds kit. Dawkins has gone from playing like a player who wanted a contract to a player who has a contract in my eyes. He has played 17 times for us this season and has yet to record an assist. (reference Football League Stats). This worries me as it shows there is no end product and he lacks the ability to produce that killer final ball.

Good shout on blaming Ward for the Thunderbirds kit. Dawkins has gone from playing like a player who wanted a contract to a player who has a contract in my eyes. He has played 17 times for us this season and has yet to record an assist. (reference Football League Stats). This worries me as it shows there is no end product and he lacks the ability to produce that killer final ball.

No end product . Right so you missed his goal against Doncaster before Buckos OG then. We were wobbling but Bryson scored.

No end product . Right so you missed his goal against Doncaster before Buckos OG then. We were wobbling but Bryson scored.

Ok I will give you that. Same game where he completely missed the ball on the rebound from Martins penalty. I believe all of his goals have come whilst on loan with us. His productivity has dropped since he became a permanent signing.

Ok I will give you that. Same game where he completely missed the ball on the rebound from Martins penalty. I believe all of his goals have come whilst on loan with us. His productivity has dropped since he became a permanent signing.

I think you are being too quick to write him off as I think many fans are being with Ward.

We are 4th in the league so we must be doing ok .

I'm not writing Martin off at all he's been very good for us but we have a few squad options now and I think Mac will utilize it and might even try Whitbread or Keane in defense.

The trick is keeping the whole squad happy.

See the ball across the box against Blackburn which Hughes somehow didn't connect with. Such fine margins. That's why stats tell whatever tale you want.

This is ridiculous you wouldn't have stopped playing Steve Howard during the 2006/07 season because he was a bit slow and lacked fitness compared to the rest of the squad. 

Can I also point out when was the last time we had a striker that hit 20 goals in one season.

Howard got 16, Hulse 15

Martin already has 12! 

This is ridiculous you wouldn't have stopped playing Steve Howard during the 2006/07 season because he was a bit slow and lacked fitness compared to the rest of the squad. 

Can I also point out when was the last time we had a striker that hit 20 goals in one season.

Howard got 16, Hulse 15

Martin already has 12! 

a) Steve Howard never lacked fitness, he maintained a level.

b) Chris Martin isn't lacking fitness by comparison to his team-mates, he's lacking it by comparison to himself earlier in the season.

c) When Howard was here, we didn't have any other options.

d) Since when have personal achievements mattered more than team achievements?

a) Steve Howard never lacked fitness, he maintained a level.

b) Chris Martin isn't lacking fitness by comparison to his team-mates, he's lacking it by comparison to himself earlier in the season.

c) When Howard was here, we didn't have any other options.

d) Since when have personal achievements mattered more than team achievements?

You make a valid point. 

My feeling is though his fitness has always been a problem in his play.

Half way through the season why would you suddenly pull him out the squad and do fitness work? surely you want to keep the flow going. The fact that we have options off the bench surely means that he should play because we then have the luxury to change. 

You make a point about team over personal achievements, would it not be better for the team if Martin played and scored goals then at the end of the season stick him on a regime. 

i agree with you he needs to improve his overall fitness but i think it would be detrimental to team to do it during the season. 

I think the flow has gone, as has Martin's sharpness!

We still have a good 3-4 months of the season, so a fortnight of intensive fitness work, followed up by sessions that are say 20% more fitness based.

I think I'll trust McClaren's coaching knowledge and the professionally produced in-depth stats that are given from each game.

Failing that, we have a 2 week break in a few weeks anyway.

I think I'll trust McClaren's coaching knowledge and the professionally produced in-depth stats that are given from each game.

Failing that, we have a 2 week break in a few weeks anyway.

Oh I'm sorry Mr LetsNotDiscussAnythingUnlessIWantToTalkAboutIt! Shall we lock the thread?

Isn't that what you're doing by disagreeing with everyone else?

You struggle to grasp the idea and meaning of debating, don't you?

We ALL know that anything we type in hear will affect any decisions made by anyone at the club, so there's no real need for you to waste a post.

I too trust McClaren and Simpson to do the right thing, the debate is basically guessing what they might or might not be considering.

You struggle to grasp the idea and meaning of debating, don't you?

We ALL know that anything we type in hear will affect any decisions made by anyone at the club, so there's no real need for you to waste a post.

I too trust McClaren and Simpson to do the right thing, the debate is basically guessing what they might or might not be considering.

My post was more on the basis that you somehow would know the exact way you could improve the fitness of a player, based on absolutely nothing.

Archived