James Bailey welcome back

Uptherams

A very handy player for us when he was playing. He's not exactly a midfield general, but he is a very tidy passer, and certainly has a role to play if given the chance.

Welcome back.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So a frozen out player, get's a squad number, the coaches say he's unlucky that injury has stopped him already playing under McClaren, he gets on the pitch ahead Cisse, who was signed by McClaren, yet YOU conclude he's not rated??

I'd like to know how you come to this theory.

Just because he' s given a squad number doesn't mean the manager rates him.

Of course he's going to give him a squad number. Why wouldn't he? He's in a no lose situation.

Only McClaren can tell you why he put on James Bailey ahead of his own signing. I think that likely tells you more about McClaren's opinion of his own signing than that of Bailey.

Either way, it was in the 83rd minute of a game that was long gone. A token substitution.

it's not about flying in! Where does 'flying in' come into making a tackle. He was side-stepped by Cywka last week and then again yesterday, both times he was statuesque on his heels. He's surprised me this season with his influence and performances, but I am now seeing a 50-60 minute man, and I'm not sure we can continue to carry that.

internet point? You spend too much time at the computer Eddie, doing your lolcats!

So was Keane.

There's infinitely more sense in lolcats than there is reading Mostyn's ridiculous diatribe ripping Hughes to pieces because he's not as good as Oscar, Hazard and Willian.

ripping him to pieces?

Get a grip old Man! Just pointing out the reality of the situation. If you watched Derby for the first time ever yesterday and someone told you that one of our players is supposedly worth £12m plus, and I asked you to guess which player. Hughes would've been about your 8th guess!

Of course he's going to give him a squad number. Why wouldn't he? He's in a no lose situation.

Only McClaren can tell you why he put on James Bailey ahead of his own signing. I think that likely tells you more about McClaren's opinion of his own signing than that of Bailey.

Either way, it was in the 83rd minute of a game that was long gone. A token substitution.

shop window? or maybe Cisse isn't going to be here beyond the end of Jan and he needs to assess what he has in his squad before knowing if he has to spend money.

ripping him to pieces?

Get a grip old Man! Just pointing out the reality of the situation. If you watched Derby for the first time ever yesterday and someone told you that one of our players is supposedly worth £12m plus, and I asked you to guess which player. Hughes would've been about your 8th guess!

You just had to have a go, didn't you? Just sharpening your fingers, biding your time and then bang, you're in there with your usual level of insult, having the temerity to speak about 'reality' - despite the fact that all the evidence points to the fact that there is nothing wrong with lolcats.

What a love in this is.

Bailey got 10 minutes at the end of a game that was all but over when he came on. The only reason he was given game time was to save the genuine first teamers legs for Friday.

He wasn't in Clough's plans and it's pretty clear that McClaren doesn't rate him too highly either.

How anyone can judge a player based on a ten minute spell when the opposition have the game won and are willing to concede possession to us is beyond me.

Get him off the wage bill and let's find other players that can take the club forward.

He has been injured since SM has been here, first time he has been fit and he is straight on the bench and comes on. I think SM has rated what he has seen in training, and from him previously (if he has seen much I am not sure) but it is a bit naive to think that he isn't rated at the club.

You just had to have a go, didn't you? Just sharpening your fingers, biding your time and then bang, you're in there with your usual level of insult, having the temerity to speak about 'reality' - despite the fact that all the evidence points to the fact that there is nothing wrong with lolcats.

Good job I know you're not that precious or I'd have an attack of conscience right now. As it happens, I miss your lolcats. :p

Good job I know you're not that precious or I'd have an attack of conscience right now. As it happens, I miss your lolcats. :p

A good job I broke the sights on your rifle then.

He had already been booked, so I can see why didn't go flying in.

This was the most exposed I have seen Eustace. The reason he was on that booking was because he bought down a player who had gone past him 

There were lot's of times he was bypassed in midfield. Not faulting his effort, but he struggles against a midfield with good movement (good job there aren't too many of them in the Champ). Still a useful player for us at this level though.

As for Bailey he did well, but I doubt he is the answer of CDM.

What is with all the bickering? This is how I see it. Eustace again showed he has not got the legs. He will not be a Derby player beyond this season and possibly looking at retirement. SM brought in Cisse but has not committed to the player with no club and offered him a very short term contract. Bailey was frozen out, sent on loan, injured, frozen out, injured and now has a chance to show SM what he is about. Anyone who thinks the lad does not have a future at the club is bonkers. 

We have three players fighting over one position. Two of which are obviously not here for much longer. Even if SM brought in a player permanently, it looks likely that he wants a backup, more than one option. Do we seriously think he would go and sign two of these players permanently from elsewhere?

Bailey seems to me to be in the plans. He will probably be one of two choices of which the other we have yet to see, or sign. But the question is where would signing two new DM/holding midfielders put Jeff? He is stating a claim for a starting position. No way would SM drop Bryson or Hughes. So the player to be dropped is the DM position. 

Look at Forsyth. He is flourishing under SM. Why can't Bailey? 

Cisse was bought in after the transfer window shut. So it's not like there was an abundance of options and we had a few injuries in that department, so it was a decent move in my mind. We may not be renewing his contract, but it was always likely to be a short term move to provide cover should we need it. 

Another thing to consider with yesterday's substitution is that Cisse is a defensive player, we were chasing the game and need impetus going forward. Maybe Mac felt Bailey would give us more than Cisse in that scenario. 

Alternatively if we were defending a 1-0 lead it may have been that Cisse might have been bought on to offer more solidity.

Think your trying to read far too much into a 15 min appearance. 

Lots of black and white thinking here. You could say Eustace's lack of legs is why he has struggled against better sides. Surely that's one of the reason's but it's just half true. IMO bigger reason is our deep defensive line when defending. And when our defenders are as slow as they are, we have to play that way. Deep line demands too much from movement from 1 DM, no matter who he is. That's the main reason I've wanted different CB's, to help midfielders (who could help attackers more). Build from back to be better in attack etc..

Saying that Bucko was immense, MOM for me. One man's loss is another man's gain, have to remember that.

Ps. I would not hesitate putting Bailey on for last minutes especially. There tends to be more room and time with the ball and the ability he has with it, could be pivotal.

What I've noticed in the games we struggle in, is the fact the Eustace has alot more of the ball than Hughes and Bryson/Hendrick.

When the front two midfielders are without the ball, we struggle to create.

I think Bailey will be a great addition in those games, as as a defensive midfielder, his range of passing is far superior than Eustace.

I think we'll see alot more of Bailey and I'm stoked by that.

He didn't get frozen out and free of a squad number, based on his dreadful performances in the past. And his twitter banter with the other lads doesn't show him as a trouble making ego.

I think he just got on the wrong side of the previous management. Which wasn't exactly difficult to do.

Archived