Earning the right to play

jcidaho

Schteve talks about this "earning the right to play" and it's in Bryson's interview on the DET.

What do you think it means?

Presumably it means doing the dirty side of the game to hassle the other team, close them down, to create space for the game to played how we want it to be. To put the other team into submission so that we can then control the game.

Quite interesting in my opinion. It puts in players minds that we need the hard-work grafting style of play as a baseline to achieve the style that we should be aspiring to. So often managers just see the hustle and bustle as the be all and end all, where as Steve sees it only as a platform. 

Looking back I don't think Clough ever reconciled the style of play he was after - hustle and bustle Vs free flowing football. With Steve M I think it's clearer, that we need both: the former to facilitate the latter.

This all sounds quite obvious, but I get the feeling Steve is trying to raise the players consciousness of it.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another thing that McClaren is doing is promoting a positive in winning and a negative in losing.

I was chatting Simmo and he said that whenever somebody loses at anything, regardless of what they lose, they have to do a forfeit... I cannot remember how he said they reinforce winning, but they definitely try to discourage losing.

I agree with all of that .

If you look at all of the better footballing teams, They all put pressure on the opposition as soon as they lose the ball and press them high up the pitch, Hoping they resort to the long ball to ease the pressure and giving us the ball back.

What it means is that you have to match and pass the opposition for effort - running off the ball, closing down etc. Once you have done that, then the difference in skill will take you over the line.

Without the effort then you are just West Ham of the old days - pretty to watch but powderpuff.

We haven't quite clicked in a few games because we've looked over confident and casual.

It seems to annoy schteve who makes a point of reminding them that they have to graft if they want to win.

I thought wisdom was particularly guilty of it v whoeveritwasweplayedlast - my memory is going.

This was probably Arthur Cox's favourite phrase. If it was good enough for Arthur........

In order….

"We attack as a team, we defend as a team"

"Pure journalistic speculation"

"Bloody hell. My back's killing me"

"Coming, Kevin"

It is a great quote to drill in to the players sub conscious. We all want to play the pretty football, but it's the otherside of the game which is important to allow you to do this. And quite often, will earn victories in itself. See charlton.

Another thing that McClaren is doing is promoting a positive in winning and a negative in losing.

I was chatting Simmo and he said that whenever somebody loses at anything, regardless of what they lose, they have to do a forfeit... I cannot remember how he said they reinforce winning, but they definitely try to discourage losing.

the loser gets a kick from a gaint boot (the simpsons( stile

It means busting a gut for the team, or whatever the team needs a player to do for the team, to win/keep your place :D

That's exactly what Bucko said in the DET last week, stating that 'everyday is a fight'.

I think it's fair to say he's not doing bad at all :-)

Archived