Hughes or Bryson?

BenDavies44

The ball travels faster than the man,and the brain is far quicker than both.

Jimmy Greaves wasn't the fastest - except over one yard. That was all he needed to be.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jimmy Greaves wasn't the fastest - except over one yard. That was all he needed to be.

Ditto Sir Stan (he admitted as much).I don't recall some of the best midfielders of my youth,such as Crerand,Haynes and John White,being that nippy,but boy could they all play.

Hughes' spacial awareness and appreciation of the entire game in a snapshot is excellent. He has a rare talent and that should be nurtured.

He doesnt need to be quick (he's no slouch), he'll naturally get stronger as he matures and he's not exactly poor in the air or the tackle (though he's no Chris Martin... oooerr)

I'd like to see him a little bit more dynamic and work on his shooting but these are tiny details. At the moment he's one of the best 18 years olds I've seen and should only improve given the right guidance and opportunities.

Apologies for lurking (as a non contributing member), but I want to wade in here and put the cat among the pigeons....

(I think) Hughes is fantastically overrated?!

I have seen his intelligent passes, and good touch, but he has so many limitations. His lack of athletic ability being foremost! He is non existent in the air, lightweight in the tackle, and at times incredibly negative.

I am fortunate enough to have been to a few games this year with a number of ex pro's and a current scout (who was asked specifically to look at Hughes), and without exception they all 'dont fancy him'. (I have been to all home games, before anyone misinterprets how often I have watched him).

If someone offered us £3m with a load of sell on / appearance clauses I would sell in a heartbeat.

I should say that I think he is doing incredibly well to play so many games at this level, at his age... and I genuinely wish him well but I just don't see it?

Bryson has been fantastic - and far more effective of the two so far this year.

Would you care to disclose your scouting friends so we can take a look at their previous recommendations and judge their scouting ability?

Hughes can take it past players though? I've seen him glide past opposition players quite easily.

Of course he's not going to be an aerial threat, he's about 5ft, hardly something to criticise him for. I appreciate he's not quick, but he's not slow either.

The things your criticising him for arent vital for the position he plays. 

I do agree we shouldnt get carried away though, people thought Giles Barnes and Nyatanga would play at a high level. 

Tbf, Barnes may well have done without the career ending injury. I would say that Barnes was more talented than Zaha.

Barnes would have if it wasn't for an abysmal attitude and bad injuries.

Anyone remember how good he was Newcastle away in the Prem when he came back from injury? False dawn that was.

Why so you think he had a bad attitude? He was a cocky git but so are most 17 year olds. I was always told he worked really hard at his game and was a good trainer. I think he shows one bad injury and a career can be finished

Why so you think he had a bad attitude? He was a cocky git but so are most 17 year olds. I was always told he worked really hard at his game and was a good trainer. I think he shows one bad injury and a career can be finished

Coz he got far too big for his boots. Thought he was the next big thing and wouldn't have it any other way. Never forget him playing in a friendly at Belper where he was fat, played terribly and then left at half time when he was subbed.

I am fortunate enough to have been to a few games this year with a number of ex pro's and a current scout (who was asked specifically to look at Hughes), and without exception they all 'dont fancy him'.

Best Christmas Present I'm going to get by a mile.

Thank Goodness for Scouts :)

Matt, - quite understand where you are coming from here, but dont forget hes nearly 7 years younger than

Bryson so has plenty of time to improve. He is able to alter the course of matches already, albeit in the

Championship, add to this his obvious intelligence and willingness to learn, and I would say we have a winner

at any level.

Is he or Bryson leaving in January 

think Mac would be leaving if its even suggested.

Archived