Hughes or Bryson?

BenDavies44

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Value to Derby right now is similar. Both are integral to the way we play. Both scare the **** out of opposition Championship midfields.

Longer term Hughes is more valuable as he's both technically more gifted and much younger. Hence the difference in potential transfer fees.

We need both to the end of this season to remain in the top 6 I suspect.

Only Celtic could get Bryson imo.

He wouldn't want to go and sit on a bench in the PL or battle relegation when the chances of winning promotion is there and he can be a key part of that.

I'm sure he'd much rather wait until the summer.

But Celtic? Could probably break their team. Win trophies, play at San Siro, Nou Camp etc. stands more chance of getting in the Scotland side.

Apologies for lurking (as a non contributing member), but I want to wade in here and put the cat among the pigeons....

(I think) Hughes is fantastically overrated?! 

I have seen his intelligent passes, and good touch, but he has so many limitations. His lack of athletic ability being foremost! He is non existent in the air, lightweight in the tackle, and at times incredibly negative.

I am fortunate enough to have been to a few games this year with a number of ex pro's and a current scout (who was asked specifically to look at Hughes), and without exception they all 'dont fancy him'. (I have been to all home games, before anyone misinterprets how often I have watched him).

If someone offered us £3m with a load of sell on / appearance clauses I would sell in a heartbeat.

I should say that I think he is doing incredibly well to play so many games at this level, at his age... and I genuinely wish him well but I just don't see it?

Bryson has been fantastic - and far more effective of the two so far this year.

Apologies for lurking (as a non contributing member), but I want to wade in here and put the cat among the pigeons....

I have seen his intelligent passes, and good touch, but he has so many limitations. His lack of athletic ability being foremost! He is non existent in the air, lightweight in the tackle, and at times incredibly negative.

I am fortunate enough to have been to a few games this year with a number of ex pro's and a current scout (who was asked specifically to look at Hughes), and without exception they all 'dont fancy him'. (I have been to all home games, before anyone misinterprets how often I have watched him).

If someone offered us £3m with a load of sell on / appearance clauses I would sell in a heartbeat.

I should say that I think he is doing incredibly well to play so many games at this level, at his age... and I genuinely wish him well but I just don't see it?

Don't think you've put the cat among the pigeons at all. 

I just think that you've typed half a page of tripe.

Matt Carbon I think you're missing what Hughes does really well. Not having him at Charlton seemed to affect our passing (plus a difficult uneven pitch). He's not flash or obvious but he's very much the heartbeat of the team going forward. He is not like a lot of British players and would probably be much more appreciated in many other countries.

Without hijacking the thread, or wandering into the 'transfer talk' section of things - Eddie, would you not accept £3m + add ons?

if you wouldn't; I think you and other DCFC fans are falling into the trap of thinking that because we have a decent young player we deserve £7 / £8m for him. We had our pants pulled down with Huddlestone, but that doesn't make Hughes worth the silly figures that get banded around on here.

Could he be a great player? Yes, maybe.

Is he a great player? Nowhere near.

Back to the thread, I would much rather see us sell Hughes than Bryson.

Without hijacking the thread, or wandering into the 'transfer talk' section of things - Eddie, would you not accept £3m + add ons?

if you wouldn't; I think you and other DCFC fans are falling into the trap of thinking that because we have a decent young player we deserve £7 / £8m for him. We had our pants pulled down with Huddlestone, but that doesn't make Hughes worth the silly figures that get banded around on here.

No.

I think that you are trolling.

I'll take Steve Mac's, Brendan Rodgers and even Nigel Clough's judgement of Will Hughes over your mates.

This is the problem with English football, he can't head it, doesn't hoof it or run around like a headless chicken, so he's overrated!

I'd be interested in how much you'd value the likes of Henderson, Carroll and Downing at the point they joined Liverpool, or Zaha when he joined United, or even Theo Walcott, Oxlade Chamberlin when they joined Arsenal.

You are paying for the potential. Gareth Bale wasn't the same Gareth Bale he is now, when Spurs bought him 5 years ago. With coaching and experience, players can improve.

It's a seller's market when you have something somebody else wants.

Xavi is slow, poor in the air, not a strong tackler, doesn't score a great many goals.

However he orchestrates the pace, picks the right passes and the glory that Iniesta, Villa, Messi, Torres, Fabregas, Zlatan etc etc have reaped... they all have thanked him for their golden boots and personal awards.

It must be great knowing that there's a player on that pitch you can trust 99% to take care of the ball. That won't play you in trouble and will feed you exactly what you want, where you want and when you want it. It's a godsend to have a teammate that can read the game. Xavi is the perfect role model for a player like Hughes.

If you've got RamsPlayer then go on the full 90. Just after Ward's goal Derby have a period of passing that is almost impossible to stop. 2 touch football using most the pitch and every player has a touch.

There a ball to Hughes where he's closed down pretty fast and the easiest options are to pass it back where it came or flick it forward with the outside of his foot for some nice percentage football.

He swivels and lays a ball all the way to Wisdom. Nothing to it. Simple, no glamour. Yet not many players at this level would have done it. Wisdom has acres of space and zero pressure.

He does this a lot.

It's a bit more common in Italy and Spain etc but few English players are natural at it. It's natural to them to knock it on into areas. So whatever Lampard has been worth I think Hughes could get near to that.

Sir Mostyn, what do all of those players have in common? They were athletes. Rightly or wrongly people think you can teach someone to be a better player but you can't coach someone to be quick and athletic. Hughes is one paced, and at times very 'leggy'. How long has he looked like he needs a rest?!

Ramarena - who is to say one of my mates isn't Brendan Rogers or Steve Mac? (It isn't Clough though, I will give you that).

Anyway, not trying to be a WUM. Genuinely excited about DCFC and having 3 England U21s in the side is incredible!

I just don't think Hughes is anywhere near the player that people are making him out to be. I sincerely hope he proves me wrong, and if someone offers us £10m I will be delighted!!! 

Will either Bryson or Hughes go in January - NO. 

Sir Mostyn, what do all of those players have in common? They were athletes. Rightly or wrongly people think you can teach someone to be a better player but you can't coach someone to be quick and athletic. Hughes is one paced, and at times very 'leggy'. How long has he looked like he needs a rest?!

Ramarena - who is to say one of my mates isn't Brendan Rogers or Steve Mac? (It isn't Clough though, I will give you that).

Anyway, not trying to be a WUM. Genuinely excited about DCFC and having 3 England U21s in the side is incredible!

I just don't think Hughes is anywhere near the player that people are making him out to be. I sincerely hope he proves me wrong, and if someone offers us £10m I will be delighted!!! 

maybe they are athletes, but don't fall into the trap of believing the 'myths' of modern football. There are plenty that people tend to buy into, my personal favourite is judging full-backs on their attacking ability over their defending ability.

Personally, I think speed of thought is more important than speed of sprint when playing the role Hughes plays. From Gazza to Pirlo, Xavi to Bergkamp, Zola to Scholes.... the true 'geniuses' of the game didn't need athleticism.

Do you select your car based on it's colour? or performance?

So you are either mates with Mac or Rodgers or your bluffing. Fair enough.

Hughes can take it past players though? I've seen him glide past opposition players quite easily.

Of course he's not going to be an aerial threat, he's about 5ft, hardly something to criticise him for. I appreciate he's not quick, but he's not slow either.

The things your criticising him for arent vital for the position he plays. 

I do agree we shouldnt get carried away though, people thought Giles Barnes and Nyatanga would play at a high level. 

The ball travels faster than the man,and the brain is far quicker than both.

Archived