Martin doubtful for Donny game

admira

DERBY County leading scorer Chris Martin is battling to be fit to face Doncaster Rovers tomorrow.

The striker picked up an injury in training this week and the Rams are waiting on his fitness ahead of the Championship encounter at the iPro Stadium (3pm).

Martin, who has 13 goals in 23 appearances this season, was unable to train yesterday.

“He got a kick on the shin in training and it caught the nerve in a bad spot,” said Derby head coach Steve McClaren.

“He didn’t train on Thursday but will hopefully be able to today.

“He’ll have had a couple of days off, so we’ll see how it is.”

Martin has not missed a game this term and has started every league fixture following his summer move from Norwich City.

“You need a focal point to your team and Chris has been providing that for us,” said McClaren.

“He’s a good player. He can handle the ball well, is good with his back to goal and brings others into play, which is key.

“He does a lot of good work, offensively and defensively.”

McClaren will be hoping Martin recovers in time for the Doncaster game, while England Under-21 midfielder Will Hughes is set to return to the squad.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it was Buxton... I'd expect him to be out for as long as Barker.

Indeed!

I think it was the Middlesborough game  - Jake destroyed one of their lads in a 50/50 down near the NE corner - he didn't seem to fancy it much after that.

(I reckon Martin is pretty tough tho'. - for all the diving he's quite capable of looking after himself)

Russell up front with Dawkins and Ward wide. No Sammon starting please. He can come off the bench if required.

I've wanted to see Russell in an out and out striker's role since he signed, so if Martin isn't fit then he would be my choice. If he was at his best, he would destroy the Donny defence. His sheer pace combined with technical ability and positioning would rip them apart. However, he can't hold the ball up as well as Martin so the general play may suffer as a result.

Saying that, it'll probably be Sammon starting   :lol:

I've wanted to see Russell in an out and out striker's role since he signed, so if Martin isn't fit then he would be my choice. If he was at his best, he would destroy the Donny defence. His sheer pace combined with technical ability and positioning would rip them apart. However, he can't hold the ball up as well as Martin so the general play may suffer as a result.

Saying that, it'll probably be Sammon starting   :lol:

genuinely think Russell would hold it up more than Sammon. Sammon may have the size but his touch is woeful and he is more suited to playing the other way, harrassing defenders.

I'm no fan of Sammon but if he does get a start, it's fair to give him a decent crack at it. Can prove me wrong anyday!

Or, do you think the management are playing up the injury with some slight misinformation?

genuinely think Russell would hold it up more than Sammon. Sammon may have the size but his touch is woeful and he is more suited to playing the other way, harrassing defenders.

I agree. Sammon works well when he's running the lines, causing defenders problems and creating holes in their backline; that's why he's a good impact sub, when the defenders are tired he'll come on and run all day. This creates chances which often lead to goals. However, his touch isn't great and his finishing is sometimes lacking.

Therefore, Russell is a better choice, we've seen in recent games that his passing, vision and in particular his through balls are great. He will also have an edge over defenders due to his pace and dribbling. If he starts, this could be the game where he shows everyone just how good he is.

Think of that front three:                                           Russell

Dawkins                         Ward                                  :D

Archived