Derby better than Barca

zaragozaram

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Barca's last 2 games have been against a 3rd division side in the cup where they fielded a weak side and against an Athletic Bilbao side (away) which would dominate possession against every PL side..

I'd expect anyone in the Championship who plays against 10 men for 60 mins and a terrible Blackpool side content on putting 11 men behind the ball all game to do the same..

But it's still nice to know we're now officially a possession side and we've 'joined the club' so to speak.. I seriously hate those 'percentage sides' like the ones Billy Davies, Tony Pulis and Sam Allardyce thrive on.

And as if Derby had easier games? Athletic Bilbao would probably win over 40 games if they were in the Championship..

Barca's last 2 games have been against a 3rd division side in the cup where they fielded a weak side and against an Athletic Bilbao side (away) which would dominate possession against every PL side..

I'd expect anyone in the Championship who plays against 10 men for 60 mins and a terrible Blackpool side content on putting 11 men behind the ball all game to do the same..

But it's still nice to know we're now officially a possession side and we've 'joined the club' so to speak.. I seriously hate those 'percentage sides' like the ones Billy Davies, Tony Pulis and Sam Allardyce thrive on.

And as if Derby had easier games? Athletic Bilbao would probably win over 40 games if they were in the Championship..

they'd lose 2 feckers, I know that for a fact!

As you say it was obviously tongue in cheek, but it's over 600 passes in two consecutive games in the same week and will not be done by any side in this country again this season.

Without going to the effort of putting a ridiculous amount of effort in, I'd be surprised if them two games weren't the top 2 for pass stats by any team in the championship, the average is around 380-420 I would say..

Joking apart, how many games have we won that we didn't deserve to? I mean, on the balance of play we've dominated teams. Its not like we're all waiting for the bubble to burst is it?

I have absolutely no doubt that if we keep working hard, keep passing, keep possession, keep our nerve and team spirit we have nothing to fear in this league.

We'll lose the odd one but would you bet against us in the following game?

AND, we're playing better than Barca. Fact! Its not hoofball or percentage football. Its good old fashioned, pass it on the floor to a white (ok, ok, red/thunderbird) shirt, until you see a chance to punish the other side.

IF we keep Will, and the nucleus of the team, we can only get better. 

Who the fook are barcelona............ :D

Joking apart, how many games have we won that we didn't deserve to? I mean, on the balance of play we've dominated teams. Its not like we're all waiting for the bubble to burst is it?

I have absolutely no doubt that if we keep working hard, keep passing, keep possession, keep our nerve and team spirit we have nothing to fear in this league.

We'll lose the odd one but would you bet against us in the following game?

AND, we're playing better than Barca. Fact! Its not hoofball or percentage football. Its good old fashioned, pass it on the floor to a white (ok, ok, red/thunderbird) shirt, until you see a chance to punish the other side.

IF we keep Will, and the nucleus of the team, we can only get better. 

Who the fook are barcelona............ :D

What he said.... :cool:

Derby County

vs Blackburn - 46% possession - 15 shots - 352 passes (worst side)
vs Brighton - 50% possession - 15 shots - 451 passes (better side)

vs Leicester - 64% possession - 17 shots - 621 passes (much, much, MUCH better side)
vs Yeovil - 53% possession - 16 shots - 524 passes (better side)
vs Burnley - 67% possession - 16 shots - 641 passes (much, much, MUCH better side)

vs Millwall - 53% possession - 14 shots - 487 passes (better side)
vs Bolton - 42% possession - 15 shots - 350 passes (worst side)
vs Reading - 58% possession - 15 shots - 509 passes (much better side)
vs Forest - 53% possession - 12 shots - 459 passes (better side)
vs Ipswich - 63% possession - 14 shots - 449 passes (much better side)

vs Leeds - 47% possession - 16 shots - 412 passes (worst side)
vs Watford - 46% possession - 10 shots - 408 passes (worst side)

vs Birmingham - 62% possession - 15 shots - 518 passes (much better side)
vs QPR - 42% possession - 8 shots -  321 passes (much worst side)

vs Sheff Wed - 58% possession - 23 shots - 480 passes (much better side)
vs Bournemouth - 56% possession - 16 shots - 521 passes (much better side)

vs Wigan - 47% possession - 7 shots - 378 passes (worst side)
vs Middlesbrough - 66% possession - 17 shots - 631 passes (much, much, MUCH better side)
vs Blackpool - 72% possession - 19 shots - 606 passes (MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better side)

55% average possession - 280 shots - 9118 passes. 

statistically, second best in 6 games, the best in 13. 

in comparison to Notts Forest - 53% average possession - 284 shots - 7850 passes.

Statistically, second best in 9 games, the best in 10. 

in terms of goals

Derby - scored 29 from open play, 7 from set-pieces and 4 penalties

Forest - scored 17 from open play, 8 from set-pieces and 1 penalty. 

there you go, an hour wasted  :lol:

As you say it was obviously tongue in cheek, but it's over 600 passes in two consecutive games in the same week and will not be done by any side in this country again this season.

Without going to the effort of putting a ridiculous amount of effort in, I'd be surprised if them two games weren't the top 2 for pass stats by any team in the championship, the average is around 380-420 I would say..

Man City monopolise possession so I wouldn't rule that out.. But then again they're never likely to be chasing the game

But I don't think the stats prove that much.. It's impressive but flawed in the circumstances.. I'm pretty sure the stats would be lower had we not been chasing the game..

The impressive thing about Barca is they dominate possession whilst leading, very rarely are they losing a game..

In the Championship I'd imagine 90% of the league surrender possession when winning.. Blackpool's only sustained possession throught the game was when they had 10 men, 4-1 down with 15 mins remaining.. They were happy to sit back and soak up because they were winning 1-0..

Look at our stats and you'll notice we naturally have higher percentage for the games where we've been chasing.. The likes of Millwall, Yeovil, Brighton and Sheff Wed are lower because we were comfortably winning and allowing them to have the ball.

I mean, how else would a hoofball team like Leeds outdo us on possession.. It's  because we allowed them the ball as we were in a winning position virtually throughout the game

vs Leicester - 64% possession - 17 shots - 621 passes (much, much, MUCH better side)

vs Burnley - 67% possession - 16 shots - 641 passes (much, much, MUCH better side)

vs Reading - 58% possession - 15 shots - 509 passes (much better side)

vs Ipswich - 63% possession - 14 shots - 449 passes (much better side)

vs Birmingham - 62% possession - 15 shots - 518 passes (much better side)

vs Middlesbrough - 66% possession - 17 shots - 631 passes (much, much, MUCH better side)

vs Blackpool - 72% possession - 19 shots - 606 passes (MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better side)

Here is how the arguement is flawed.. Other than Middlesbrough (who were down to 10 mins and sitting back) each of the games we dominated possession alot and that is because we were losing, and the other side was happy to sit back.. You can't say we were much much better because the other team didn't need to attack..

Now compare with a few others

vs Blackburn - 46% possession - 15 shots - 352 passes (worst side)

vs Leeds - 47% possession - 16 shots - 412 passes (worst side)

vs Watford - 46% possession - 10 shots - 408 passes (worst side)

vs Wigan - 47% possession - 7 shots - 378 passes (worst side)

These are games we were comfortably winning therefore it was likely we'd sit back a little.. It doesn't make us the worst/best side.. Possession can tell you alot about how the game is going but alot is down to the midset of the team in question..

That second half at Wigan was inevitable.. 0-3 up, we had no need to look for more goals and try and dominate the ball and potentially leaving gaps at the back.

Man City monopolise possession so I wouldn't rule that out.. But then again they're never likely to be chasing the game

But I don't think the stats prove that much.. It's impressive but flawed in the circumstances.. I'm pretty sure the stats would be lower had we not been chasing the game..

The impressive thing about Barca is they dominate possession whilst leading, very rarely are they losing a game..

In the Championship I'd imagine 90% of the league surrender possession when winning.. Blackpool's only sustained possession throught the game was when they had 10 men, 4-1 down with 15 mins remaining.. They were happy to sit back and soak up because they were winning 1-0..

Look at our stats and you'll notice we naturally have higher percentage for the games where we've been chasing.. The likes of Millwall, Yeovil, Brighton and Sheff Wed are lower because we were comfortably winning and allowing them to have the ball.

I mean, how else would a hoofball team like Leeds outdo us on possession.. It's  because we allowed them the ball as we were in a winning position virtually throughout the game

Leeds aren't a hoofball team no more, and neither are Forest according to the stats.. Bolton, Birmingham, Ipswich and Charlton are the worst.

Roughly around a third of Birmingham's passes are long balls - we're the least long ball side in the division, with roughly a sixth of our balls being 'long'  

You're dead right in your assessment though - still you can use statistics to point you in the right direction.

3 best sides in possession in the division - QPR, us and Brighton... the worst Millwall, Blackpool and Yeovil (who are normally always chasing the game) 

Stats can be manipulated easily, but usually I find the under-lying points are usually correct.

Leeds aren't a hoofball team no more, and neither are Forest according to the stats.. Bolton, Birmingham, Ipswich and Charlton are the worst.

Roughly around a third of Birmingham's passes are long balls - we're the least long ball side in the division, with roughly a sixth of our balls being 'long'  

You're dead right in your assessment though - still you can use statistics to point you in the right direction.

3 best sides in possession in the division - QPR, us and Brighton... the worst Millwall, Blackpool and Yeovil (who are normally always chasing the game) 

Stats can be manipulated easily, but usually I find the under-lying points are usually correct.

I have no idea on the 'long ball' stats and that to me is equally as important..

QPR were naturally going to be up there.. They have the players to dominate and I think teams go to Loftus Road quite intimidated and will opt to sit back..

Our most impressive win has to be the Sheff Wed game? 3-0 and 58% possession.. That's about as dominant as you'd expect in this league.

I think Barcelona's record possession count was the 1-0 vs Inter Milan or the 2-2 with Chelsea.. And it's obvious why.. As in both games they were chasing.. Recently they only managed 48% (I think) vs Rayo Vallecano away.. People were up in arms about it.. But why? Barca cruised through and were 0-4 up.. They didn't need to dominate possession.

Not at all ambitious!

I loved reading that. Gives me massive hope for the future.

I thought it would take a while to develop a possession game that gets rewards. Been really jealous watching Swansea develop it, master it and apply it successfully and now be beating Valencia in Europe away from home easily.

They completely overtook us. Blitzed us.

This season we progressed a bit and it looked hopeful. Now Mac has come in and really pushed it on. Making it so aggressive that I think we can all vision this style getting those rewards much sooner than we'd thought.

The way we see out games and DEFEND WITH THE BALL!! At last!! Another English team realises you can actually defend in possession and not only without it! You don't have to clear your lines and make two banks of four to break down.

Really impressed to see this all happening so quickly.

We need to keep the lads that are key to this at the club. It's vital that any signings slot right in.

It's where perhaps I think Ward might be starting to look a bit out of place. Maybe a bit. Just because he's suited to a different style. A less patient style and in many people's eyes perhaps a more exciting style.

The players Mac has brought in seem to have really bought into it. I mean Wisdom and Dawkins just thrive in tight spaces. They play some real neat stuff at times and have very good composure.

It can only go wrong with Mac's signings and our key players being taken.

As it is we are really building something here.

Be nice not to drop it all in favour of 442 survival mode in January. We've done that a couple of times. Neccesary or not, it stalled us in the long term.

I have no idea on the 'long ball' stats and that to me is equally as important..

QPR were naturally going to be up there.. They have the players to dominate and I think teams go to Loftus Road quite intimidated and will opt to sit back..

Our most impressive win has to be the Sheff Wed game? 3-0 and 58% possession.. That's about as dominant as you'd expect in this league.

I think Barcelona's record possession count was the 1-0 vs Inter Milan or the 2-2 with Chelsea.. And it's obvious why.. As in both games they were chasing.. Recently they only managed 48% (I think) vs Rayo Vallecano away.. People were up in arms about it.. But why? Barca cruised through and were 0-4 up.. They didn't need to dominate possession.

http://www.whoscored.com/

it really is a brilliant website - widely used, gives styles to each team...etc honestly recommend it, well worth a read. 

Archived