Celtic fans unravel Bobby Sands + William Wallace tribute...

Ambitious

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tis a strange point to try and make at a football match.

You could quite reasonably have a debate about the perception of terrorists. Wallace would no doubt have been a bigger and worse enemy of the state than Sands ever was, if that is the point they are trying to make.

I can't for the life of me see what the relevance is of making this statement at football though?

You could quite reasonably have a debate about the perception of terrorists. Wallace would no doubt have been a bigger and worse enemy of the state than Sands ever was, if that is the point they are trying to make.

I can't for the life of me see what the relevance is of making this statement at football though?

That bit ^^^^^

I concur

Their are 50k people turning up to either watch their team win a league without trying or be nowhere near big european clubs. Might as well use the event for some political history mass discussion, football doesn't have to be their opium.

I'm knocking up similar banners for Wigan: 80s terrorist Nelson Mandela and Sir Robbert Mugabe.

Their are 50k people turning up to either watch their team win a league without trying or be nowhere near big european clubs. Might as well use the event for some political history mass discussion, football doesn't have to be their opium.

I'm knocking up similar banners for Wigan: 80s terrorist Nelson Mandela and Sir Robbert Mugabe.

I can't make Wigan but i may prepare a future banner. I'll leave the terrorist/freedom fighter debate alone for now so i thought about concentrating on something along the lines of-

MULTI NATIONAL NEO-LIBERALISM Vs A SUSTAINABLE ECONOMY BASED ON LOCAL STAKEHOLDER PARTICIPATION

rather catchy doncha think!

Celtic not having the poppy on their matchday shirts on Rememberence weekend either. Some club them!

Did they not try to join the English leagues at some point in the past?

Bit like Forest then.

Celtic FC Foundation has made a donation of £10,000 to support the work of Poppyscotland.

Poppsycotland is very grateful to the Club and the donation will be used primarily to support our education programme, Sowing the Poppy Seed, which takes the form of an internet-based project, available to all schools in Scotland. The project focuses on the key question "Why is it important to remember" and incorporates the four capacities of Curriculum for Excellence: successful learners, confident individuals, responsible citizens and effective contributors.

Celtic Chief Executive Peter Lawwell said: "Celtic is delighted, once again, to continue its longstanding support of Poppyscotland. As we approach Remembrance Sunday it is important that we take time to remember the victims on all sides of all conflicts across the globe. In particular, The First World War was a conflict which has a real connection to Celtic with a number of Celtic players tragically losing their lives and of course we also remember these men and pay respect to their ultimate sacrifice."

“This year we will support the educational programme Sowing the Poppy Seed, which educates children as to why it is so important to remember and the ways in which conflicts affect communities. Celtic FC Foundation places strong emphasis on learning and education, this is a programme which will be delivered to hundreds of young people through the school curriculum and is a project we are very pleased to support.”

Ian McGregor, Chief Executive of Poppyscotland said: "We are extremely grateful to the Celtic FC Foundation for its continuing support of Poppy Scotland. As well as providing practical support to Scotland ’s Armed Forces community, Poppyscotland’s education programme, Sowing the Poppy Seed, is a critically important area of our work. This very generous donation from the Celtic FC Foundation will ensure that Sowing the Poppy Seed continues to educates Scotland 's young people about the impact of war and importance of remembrance.”

http://www.poppyscotland.org.uk/index.php/news/show_story/celtic_donates_10000

Archived