McClaren and England - Interesting ... very interesting

admira

Here’s a fascinating fact.

Did you know that Steve McClaren had a better win percentage as England manager than Sir Bobby Robson, Don Revie, Graham Taylor, Kevin Keegan and Terry Venables?

In fact, in the last 30 years, only Hoddle and Sven could better it.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is interesting, although doesn't suprise me he had a better record than Graham.

That's the sort of stat an Arsenal fan would roll out. 'Wengers win %age is so much higher!', while everyone around them wins things.

He still didn't qualify for Euro 2008. Absolute disaster for England.

Plus - he also has the worst Loss percentage of any England manager since the war*

*Apart from Howard Wilkinson who was only in charge for 2 games and lost of one them so automatically has a 50% loss record

In defence of Schteve - he only had 18 games so his %record is not going to compare that favourably

He performed below average with an average team didnt he?

The media made out that he failed to get one of Europe's elite sides to a tournament they were destined to win.

Who'd he get sacked after? Croatia? I was thinking they were just about as good as England?

The media won't give any England manager a fair assessment until Harry takes charge of a 'poor England side miles behind teams like France'

Until they get their man the England job is always going to fail.

His England record doesn't bother me. More worried about the 'negative football' accusations from Twente and his Forest farce.

Balls to England

Difficult to judge management capability by using National sides winning ratios. Club management is a different business. I think SM is an excellent coach, and am sure he will have learned from his experiences as the number 1. I know I've said this before but anything following NC lack of ambition on and off the field is going to be a massive improvement.

To me the entirety of McClaren's tenure as England manager boils down to that last 20 minutes against Croatia at Wembley. You know, the one where Scott Carson had a shocker...we went 2-0 down, at which point we were out...we then levelled it up at 2-2, at which point we were going through (we would have been level on points with Russia but we had a better head-to-head record, we beat them 3-0 and they beat us 2-1 so it would have worked in our favour on goal difference). If we'd have held on for the draw for another 15-20 minutes, we'd have qualified and McClaren's time as boss might have been viewed somewhat differently. People point to some terrible results during that time: 0-0 at home to Macedonia, losing in Croatia, taking until the second half to score against Andorra. But what about the rubbish results/performances under Sven (losing to N Ireland, scraping past Liechtenstein, disastrous friendly defeats to Denmark and Australia)? Or even Venables, some of those friendlies in the run up to Euro 96 were really mediocre.

Also, this Wally with the Brolly thing. If he didn't have an umbrella, people would have said, 'look at that idiot, he's standing in the pouring rain without an umbrella'.

To me the entirety of McClaren's tenure as England manager boils down to that last 20 minutes against Croatia at Wembley. You know, the one where Scott Carson had a shocker...we went 2-0 down, at which point we were out...we then levelled it up at 2-2, at which point we were going through (we would have been level on points with Russia but we had a better head-to-head record, we beat them 3-0 and they beat us 2-1 so it would have worked in our favour on goal difference). If we'd have held on for the draw for another 15-20 minutes, we'd have qualified and McClaren's time as boss might have been viewed somewhat differently. People point to some terrible results during that time: 0-0 at home to Macedonia, losing in Croatia, taking until the second half to score against Andorra. But what about the rubbish results/performances under Sven (losing to N Ireland, scraping past Liechtenstein, disastrous friendly defeats to Denmark and Australia)? Or even Venables, some of those friendlies in the run up to Euro 96 were really mediocre.

Also, this Wally with the Brolly thing. If he didn't have an umbrella, people would have said, 'look at that idiot, he's standing in the pouring rain without an umbrella'.

Or Wally without the Brolly :lol:  I'm delighted we've got him.

I always felt a bit sorry for Taylor.

He didn't have much to work with and that World Cup qualifying campaign was unlucky - jan wouters' elbow on Gascoigne's face with England 2 up against holland; rekdal's equaliser for Norway could have gone anywhere; Ronald koeman.

Things could have gone our way.

Venables didn't have to qualify for anything and still only got us to a semi final at home.

We are what we are and what we've been for decades - average. World football also-fans. Steve McClaren was just one of a long line of managers who couldn't make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

Archived