Derby County v Birmingham City

Gritstone Ram

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somehow felt like a defeat today...probably a fair result in the cold light of day but I defo agree with RamNut about the offside goal. I was dead in line and both players were offside, possibly the linesman couldn't see Novak through Zigic, either that or he was just vvank. Awful decision but hopefully it'll even out over the season.

Miss of the season from the fish? He'll cry when he sees the replays but like others have said, he won us the three points at Watford.

Yeovil ~ Love 'em, little darlings the lot of 'em.... :wub:  should be given the freedom of Derby.

So.. is Johnny Russell any good? If so, then we've actually got a striker who can score goals and we should be golden.

Oh, and lets give Hughes a break, and Jacobs a chance.

Oh, and drop Keogh.

And lets buy an Idiakez/Eranio to stick in the middle.

Somehow felt like a defeat today...probably a fair result in the cold light of day but I defo agree with RamNut about the offside goal. I was dead in line and both players were offside, possibly the linesman couldn't see Novak through Zigic, either that or he was just vvank. Awful decision but hopefully it'll even out over the season.

Miss of the season from the fish? He'll cry when he sees the replays but like others have said, he won us the three points at Watford.

Yeovil ~ Love 'em, little darlings the lot of 'em.... :wub: should be given the freedom of Derby.

Just watched the goal on Sky Sports and the guy who scored ran past Keogh after the ball was kicked so wasn't off side.

Just watched the goal on Sky Sports and the guy who scored ran past Keogh after the ball was kicked so wasn't off side.

What about zigic though?

OK, fair enough, but the guy directly in front of Grant has got to be classed as "in play". If he was 6 yards either side yes but he was in line with the keeper. The most blatant offside of the day by a mile. 

OK, fair enough, but the guy directly in front of Grant has got to be classed as "in play". If he was 6 yards either side yes but he was in line with the keeper. The most blatant offside of the day by a mile.

Not under the current rules - he had his back to goal, made no attempt to play the ball and if you watch him never even looked at the flight of the ball. The ball landed 5 yards away from him and he wasn't interfering with the keepers path to go and claim the ball.

Their guy didn't start to chase the ball until he saw grant put his arm up and stand waiting - had Grabt gone for the ball he would have got there first or the Brum guy wouldn't have chased it.

My thoughts;

Scrappy game, another team that came with a decent game plan,letting us play infront of them making it hard for us to break them down. Despite their lack in quality they managed to stay comfortably in the game and always looked dangerous from their only outlet being a set piece. I thought we played "ok". Not the free flowing attacking moves we've seen in the previous two games which was frustrating. I actually think we'd have done better if Lingaard was fit and started ahead of Zigic, the latter causing all sorts of problems for us for just being an awkward lump of non-footballing nuisance.

The one thing I said that's impressed me so far under SM is how many more meaningful passes we're completing, wasn't on show today as alot of our play was very hit and hopey. 

Some people say we played poor, average, not well enough to win the game but if you create as many clear opportunities today as we did then you've got to be looking at collecting all the points. 

It's good (in a way) that we're all frustrated at drawing at home to Birmingham. We all wanted to and believed we could win, so did the manager, coaches and players. A shift in mentality compared to those in previous years. Doesn't seem two minutes ago that a point against Birmingham would be seen as a really good result for us. No need to get too downhearted! 

Ratings:

Grant - 6. I thought he did ok. Dealt with a few corners well, others not so well. Should have done better for the goal but I wouldn't put all the blame on him for that. 

Wisdom - 7. Solid. Didn't make a mistake all game from what I saw, he wasn;t asked to do anything out of the ordinary but just looked very comfortable on the ball, defending and positionally. Would like to see him at CB but I understand his inclusion instead of Smith today. 

Keogh - 6. Did alright, we generally defended well bar the goal. 

Buxton - 6.5. Same as Keogh but his passing and distribution was first class. 

Forsyth - 5.5. I'm not a fan and it might bias my opinion of him as time goes by. Granted he didn't do anything awful, no major mistakes but thought he was too weak in the tackle, positionally poor again and was our main culprit of hit and hope balls down the line to nobody. 

Eustace - 6. Busy, good tackling, broke play up well for the most part.

Bryson - 6. Decent game, kept coming in and out of play. Couldn't get that link up play that's been a big part of his play this season. 

Hughes - 6. His overall performance wasn't quite upto standards (that he's set) but then we should remember he's 18 year old, in only his second full season. Despite him not controlling our midfield that we've seen him do, he really is a little genius. Classy ball to Bryson in the first half for the chance that got cleared off the line. The boy's clearly got talent, just a big learning curve for him. 

Dawkins - 6. Pacey, fluked his way through players like Jacobs seems to do. Agree with the comment about having the ball 20 yards infront of him and looking better than with the ball having to take a player on. Seem's to be very indecisive? Kept getting in the way too in the first half. Hopefully more to see but at 25 I'm expecting more TBH. 

Ward - 6. I thought he was off it today. Good of him to score and that don't get me wrong but his general play was pretty poor. 

Martin - 6. Tried plenty of flicks, through balls and flick ons that just didn't come off today. Still, held the ball up (when it was played to his feet/chest) very well whilst he was on. 

Subs:

Sammon - 5. Worked last week coming on, unfortunately today wasn't his day. At all. Should have scored 2. If not score then at least get it on target and test the keeper. He wasn't even close. I heard Owen Bradley and co talking about how strikers don't score every chance they get but c'mon. 2 clean cut chances. 

Bennett and Jacobs - 6. Didn't do much but not given that much time. 

Steve - 6. He highlighted our lack of tempo which I thought was evident throughout the game. It suited Brum and we look much better played a faster game. Subs didn't work this week but not going to be critical, he can only give them the chance which they all deserved. 

Not under the current rules - he had his back to goal, made no attempt to play the ball and if you watch him never even looked at the flight of the ball. The ball landed 5 yards away from him and he wasn't interfering with the keepers path to go and claim the ball.

Their guy didn't start to chase the ball until he saw grant put his arm up and stand waiting - had Grabt gone for the ball he would have got there first or the Brum guy wouldn't have chased it.

No Dav, he was too close to Grant to be classed as not interfering...defo bad decision which ever way you look at it. Not sticking up for Grant btw, just saying it was pisspoor linesmanship!

No Dav, he was too close to Grant to be classed as not interfering...defo bad decision which ever way you look at it. Not sticking up for Grant btw, just saying it was pisspoor linesmanship!

Grabt was just off his line and Zigic was on the edge if the box. I think they got it right, grant new he was offside and should have acted as if he wasn't there. The rules have been interpreted like this for long enough for players to have adapted to it by now. Piss poor play by our players, not poor decisions by the officials in my eyes.

Interested to see some of the ratings on here. I couldn't see their goal clearly so can't comment on Grant too much. Wisdom looked ok, but was shattered in the last 15 minutes, again not sure if he was partly at fault for the goal.

I thought Buxton was a clear MoM today, outstanding. Bryson was excellent in the first half, but ran out of steam, Dawkins was ok, but no real end product,

The one I really can't get my head around is people thinking Ward played well. He mislaid pass after pass, failed to get a corner past their first man, missed a chance as easy as the one Sammon is getting castigated for and was generally wasteful. 

Good to see him back in the goals though, he's a luxury at times but when he's scoring goals it doesn't matter so much. You always think something will happen when he gets the ball, despite it not going like that for the most part this year. 

Interested to see some of the ratings on here. I couldn't see their goal clearly so can't comment on Grant too much. Wisdom looked ok, but was shattered in the last 15 minutes, again not sure if he was partly at fault for the goal.

I thought Buxton was a clear MoM today, outstanding. Bryson was excellent in the first half, but ran out of steam, Dawkins was ok, but no real end product,

The one I really can't get my head around is people thinking Ward played well. He mislaid pass after pass, failed to get a corner past their first man, missed a chance as easy as the one Sammon is getting castigated for and was generally wasteful.

ward didnt miss the target the keeper saved it; he also scored the goal, and created several chances, he is wasteful at times but was still our most dangerous player.

sammon did???

that implies we have a player who is very loyal to a previous manager..

Perhaps - but it's not a given that Bucko will follow Clough to Sheffield, is it?

Archived