GSE and the Owners; where do you stand?

Mostyn6

The GSE/Owners opinion poll  

165 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The £5m each was front page of the telegraph back in 2006

The truth about it was also in the telegraph one year later when it was revealed what was truly invested.

The promises of quality signings and take the league by a storm was made over a microphone to all the fans that turned up to Pride Park the day after Wembley.

On transfer deadline day in August 2007, the then chairman stood outside Pride Park on live Sky Sports announcing the signing of Mika Varynen

Mostyn's backside.

Any time you want to put your money where your mouth is old man, feel free to counter each of these three statements and point out which/how/why they came from my backside.

G Star, that's a rediculous statement! I didn't say 3 out of 30 or 40. I don't have time to review 5 years of transfers in and out. People who come on here and say "prove it" and then declare they've won the argument don't have a very strong argument in my book!

G Star, that's a rediculous statement! I didn't say 3 out of 30 or 40. I don't have time to review 5 years of transfers in and out. People who come on here and say "prove it" and then declare they've won the argument don't have a very strong argument in my book!

Your last sentence is correct. But I cannot help feeling you're judging the owners unrealistically. When they do something to back the manager it's their fault for doing it, when (in your eyes) they don't it's their fault for not doing it. I personally wouldn't have trusted Clough with magic beans after the Maguire and Sammon transfers alone. As I say, the board ALWAYS said they would back the manager, and the manager NEVER disputed this. So I think you're being very unfair.

As for earlier in this thread, I do not think this board are amazing or anything similar. I think they misled, which is different to lying, by cleverly choosing their words before selling season tickets. But it's the right thing, we could not carry on the way we was pissing money away through wages. We'd be out of business under different owners, I guarantee it.

You say you don't know about the other 23 owners, so then it's not fair of you to judge ours so harshly.

No you didn't specifically state 3 but I'd say its a pretty safe bet that you named all of the ones that you could think of...the reason being that there are probably very few more, if any, that have been sold on at profit or are now worth more than what we paid for them.

I'm not declaring to have won any argument, it is all our own personal opinions, if people say something I disagree with though I am more than entitled to ask for evidence, if they fail to provide it then I just cast there opinion aside as not being backed up with facts.

Don't get the hatred towards to GSE, would rather have the silent partners and let the people like Rush get on with it. Could always have people like Vincent Tan ruining our club by changing anything they can.

Still remember the 3 amigos clearly and I'm just glad the club isn't suffering through poor ownership and thiefs taking our money out for their own benefit.

People moan they don't splash the cash, but we have built a good team (albeit a small squad, but that was Nigels choice). Whats the point in spending a fortune when you can find players equally as good for cheaper money like we have done?

Players worth more now or when they left than when we bought them.

Buxton

Freeman

Ward

Brayford

Commons

Bryson

Pringle ( ilkeston town to a Football league player)

That's my list

Would agree with that.

Possibly to the tune of about £2million.

Chris Martin would certainly be on the list.

Legzdins probably would have been on the list for a few months.

The £5m each was front page of the telegraph back in 2006

The truth about it was also in the telegraph one year later when it was revealed what was truly invested.

The promises of quality signings and take the league by a storm was made over a microphone to all the fans that turned up to Pride Park the day after Wembley.

On transfer deadline day in August 2007, the then chairman stood outside Pride Park on live Sky Sports announcing the signing of Mika Varynen

Sir Mostyn,

I believe you are right, the certificates were filed at Comapnies House - so the information is already in the public domain.

From memory, it might have been £6m, some put in £1m each and some £500k each.

I used to have copies, but am not sure where they are now - I'll try and dig them out ..... ?

Any time you want to put your money where your mouth is old man, feel free to counter each of these three statements and point out which/how/why they came from my backside.

You have a history of being a little economical with the truth, Mostyn. You're bound to be correct now and again - simple law of averages.

You have a history of being a little economical with the truth, Mostyn. You're bound to be correct now and again - simple law of averages.

example please? Just because I've never had video evidence of something, doesn't mean it's a lie.

Shackell presumably was sold for more than we paid for him. I know all transfers are for undisclosed fees but I understand we signed him for around £750k and sold him for around £1.2m.

I certainly feel justified in criticising the current owners / board for at first over spending and then under spending. Firstly the age and likely sell on value of the players bought in their first two transfer windows was naive at best. Yes blame Jewell but someone let him do it. Where was the financial control and sound strategy? Isn't that what boards are for?

Then they've been so tight since then that we've had virtually no chance of going back up.

I think a club in our position should have had a yoyo club strategy. Over spend in the championship and recoup in the premier league with parachute payments. Long term you become established in the premier league. West Brom would be a good example.

Shackell presumably was sold for more than we paid for him. I know all transfers are for undisclosed fees but I understand we signed him for around £750k and sold him for around £1.2m.

I certainly feel justified in criticising the current owners / board for at first over spending and then under spending. Firstly the age and likely sell on value of the players bought in their first two transfer windows was naive at best. Yes blame Jewell but someone let him do it. Where was the financial control and sound strategy? Isn't that what boards are for?

Then they've been so tight since then that we've had virtually no chance of going back up.

I think a club in our position should have had a yoyo club strategy. Over spend in the championship and recoup in the premier league with parachute payments. Long term you become established in the premier league. West Brom would be a good example.

Your rants are bizarre..

The first two transfer windows were the boards fault? How exactly? Because Jewell wasted the money.. Yet it was the boards fault for backing him? Surely any board with money is going to back his manager.. Was it the Liverpool boards fault they bought Carroll, Downing and Henderson for over $100mill? The board gave Dalglish $100mill, what more can you ask for? He wasted it..

How often does an owner say to the manager 'OK you've got $10mill to spend but I'm going to tell you who you can and can't buy'

Also didn't we buy players like Villa, Zadkovich, Sterjovski, Commons, Stewart, S.Davies, Dickinson, Green, Prijovic bought in with the idea that should they do well then their value would automatically increase? You can't blame the board in that the majority of these players on the whole were poor and never had a decent sell on value..

ESR, the point is to get promotion.

And that is why the board have made the action to replace Clough and his staff, everything is in place for a promotion push apart from decent coaching staff and a manager whos got the balls to go for it rather than be happy with draws.

They've bided their time with cutting the costs and building a side with a good team ethic rather than aload of big ego footballers just wanting a big pay check like the Premier League season.

They have put money in for transfers, and they haven't interfered in the team like some owners do.

What clubs ownership would people realistically have if they wanted GSE out? Because many of them don't appeal to me at all

People bring up the 3 amigos because people seem to forget what they actually did, and think the current ownership are the crooks.

If the silent partners weren't all billionaires, would people be really unhappy at not spending £20 million a year in the Championship?

Be realistic.

Archived