London? Commute from Derby?

PrivateDerby

Does anyone do it?

I've been offered a secondment but the fooking thing's in London... It's an easy decision (haven't told her yet) as i've waited a long time for it. Excited but **** scared, only been there a couple of times not including away days.

I've considered moving but I just can't, i've got mates down there and they're only themselves when they're away from the place and they're always hungover and skint.  

I've been given a nice 'relocation allowance' i've questioned it and they've said they don't care where I live as long as I can get to the city within a couple of hours at short notice (24hr) which I will be able to as traffic won't be an issue.

This is my opportunity to move from this **** hole to Derby and spunk the allowance on a smart place.

Does anyone commute daily, at different times? By train, car or bike? 

Are you sane? 

Thank you.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you only need to be in London a couple of days a week,I'd commute,by train.

Don't drive,as from years of experience ,the traffic is insane.

I used to commute 35 miles from Essex to Central London by car,2.5 hours in the morning

Two and a half hours?! That sounds *****  :lol:

my mate does, he pays about £1000 a month on a rail card!

Interesting.... just had a look and I can get it subsidised for about 6.5k per year. 

Train wouldnt take too long either, I can do Bristol to Burton On Trent in 1 hour 46 mins

I think it's about the same mate, it looks pretty fast from Derby, Sheffield line init?

Hmmmm think I need to sit down and do some maths, London weighting is added to the salary so it's not like i'll be out of pocket plus it'll be refreshing rolling into Derby after being down there  :lol:

Two and a half hours?! That sounds *****  :lol:

Interesting.... just had a look and I can get it subsidised for about 6.5k per year. 

I think it's about the same mate, it looks pretty fast from Derby, Sheffield line init?

Hmmmm think I need to sit down and do some maths, London weighting is added to the salary so it's not like i'll be out of pocket plus it'll be refreshing rolling into Derby after being down there  :lol:

As long as you can do it without changing, you're golden.

I did for about 2 years (well, from Loughborough). That was about 1990, and earning what I did at the Stock Exchange it was well worth it. The train used to take around an hour and a quarter, then 3 stops on the Northern Line to Moorgate, a quick stroll and I was at my desk for about 8:30.

I did for about 2 years (well, from Loughborough). That was about 1990, and earning what I did at the Stock Exchange it was well worth it. The train used to take around an hour and a quarter, then 3 stops on the Northern Line to Moorgate, a quick stroll and I was at my desk for about 8:30.

Thanks eddie, I think it looks well worth it. I mean I won't be on that much but I'd rather sleep on the train for three hours a day and get back to a nice place in derby than live down there in a shoebox with all the **** around me, that sounds right stuck up, I'm not :lol:

Where do you live now?

Stoke on Trent so only half an hour away but the long term plan was to move closer to Derby anyway.

Thanks eddie, I think it looks well worth it. I mean I won't be on that much but I'd rather sleep on the train for three hours a day and get back to a nice place in derby than live down there in a shoebox with all the **** around me, that sounds right stuck up, I'm not :lol:

Stoke on Trent so only half an hour away but the long term plan was to move closer to Derby anyway.

Stoke!! Jeez, you were right about the sh1thole bit.  

Yeh, i'd rather commute than live down there. Got mates down there and can only visit for two days at a time. Driving isn't too bad except Monday mornings going south and Friday afternoon/evenings coming home, Driving to Stanmore and parking up isn't too bad.   

Yeh, i'd rather commute than live down there. Got mates down there and can only visit for two days at a time. Driving isn't too bad except Monday mornings going south and Friday afternoon/evenings coming home, Driving to Stanmore and parking up isn't too bad.   

What a good idea, just looked on the map and didn't even consider doing that!

Thanks mate!

Make sure you set your alarm on your phone for a few minutes before the train is due to arrive back in Derby.

I fel asleep a few times on the return journey and ended up waking up a couple of times at Derby, once at Chesterfield and once at Sheffield.

Yes, alcohol may just possibly have been involved on each occasion.

I've done various commutes all over the country in the last 10 years, door-to-door being 05.30 to 20.15 at its worst - not worth it for any sum of money in my opinion - hated it. Depends what age you are I suppose, I did it in my mid to late 20's, can't imagine doing it now, priorities change.

Two and a half hours?! That sounds ***** :lol:

Hmmmm think I need to sit down and do some maths, London weighting is added to the salary so it's not like i'll be out of pocket plus it'll be refreshing rolling into Derby after being down there :lol:

It was quicker from Cardiff to London

Thats what I always do, and did it for play off final

Archived