London? Commute from Derby?

PrivateDerby

Make sure you set your alarm on your phone for a few minutes before the train is due to arrive back in Derby.

I fel asleep a few times on the return journey and ended up waking up a couple of times at Derby, once at Chesterfield and once at Sheffield.

Yes, alcohol may just possibly have been involved on each occasion.

Two of my brothers did apprenticeships at the old British Rail carriage & wagon works in Derby. The 20 minute train ride to Uttox is the perfect time to fall asleep on a train apparently......they were regulars at the Smithfield pub in Blythe Bridge, Stoke-on-Trent having a swift one waiting for the next train back............it always seemed more likely to happen on a friday when they finished at 1pm and went to the railway Institute (The Waterfall as its now known) for a game of snooker or two.

There's a legendary tale of them getting the wrong train completely - and falling asleep on that as well..... :huh:  :o

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've done various commutes all over the country in the last 10 years, door-to-door being 05.30 to 20.15 at its worst - not worth it for any sum of money in my opinion - hated it. Depends what age you are I suppose, I did it in my mid to late 20's, can't imagine doing it now, priorities change.

Do you know anyone else who's had one of these secondments to London my experience of temporary transfers is they become more and more permanent and before you know it your old post is backfilled and your travelling to the big smoke everyday. Don't want to put a dampener on owt like.

I have been warned and worry about both.

There's a London Rams Supporters Branch isn't there, wonder how they survive?

I've recently moved to London and am saving a ton by living within 30 mins walk to work (near St Paul's). I personally couldn't commute as I like my sleep too much! My boss commutes from Notts to London every day and he looks drained by it. I wouldn't recommend it....

Thanks mate, think I'll have to weigh it all up.

Doesn't sound like something you want to do everyday mate?

How old are you? Few years older than me? You're not going to want all this ***** while you're building a nest?

I've just jacked plastering. Juggling work and finances just isn't working. Not getting what I want out of it. Might keep it going on the side and keep some doors open for if things ever pick up.

I don't want to just start down a route of working away or unsociable hours. Be a bit different if its something you're used to? To start down that route now though...

I dunno.

Archived