Best XI

WilkoRam

Having, quite frankly, become bored of reading most threads turn into the same back and forth (Nigel didn't have money, stabbed in the back, he wasn't good enough, McClaren isn't good enough, blah blah) I thought maybe we could just have a nice thread that hopefully won't turn into that, however I have a feeling it may. Simple question. What would your best XI be from Nigel's time here, so anyone in the playing squad from when he joined to when he left, loanees are allowed too.

I know at this point I should put my starting XI down but I'm still undecided. As it stands

Grant

Brayford Shackell Barker Moxey

Bryson Hendrick

Bueno Hughes Commons

Hulse

But this is within 5 mins off the top of my head. I need to look at the squads, I could be missing a quality player I'd forgotten about.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good thread.

Fielding - 1st season - earned him an England call up, he was genuinely quality and confident goalkeeper - shame what happened really.

Roberts - final 2 seasons - was awful when he first came in, but matured into one of the most dependable full backs in the division.

Barker - when he wasn't injured - top centre back in this division.

Shackell - top centre back in this division

Brayford - top right back in this division

Bryson - most influential midfielder we've had

Hughes - incredibly talented player

Hendrick - very good midfielder at this level

Commons - final season here - was the best in the division upto the point where we sold him, 4 months of just raw quality

Ward - obvious replacement for commons, and despite his drop this season - his past 2 years have been great to watch!

Hulse - First couple seasons - sold him undoubtedly at the right time but on his day he was impossible to deal with.

Bench:

Grant
Buxton
Keogh
Coutts
Green
Bueno
Savies

Grant

Brayford

Barker

Shackell

Roberts

Hendrick

Bryson

Bueno

Hughes

Commons

Kuqi (not now, then)

Probably going to concede a few. Expect very high possession.

Kuqi gives the longer ball option

Bueno/Hughes might not work in which case I pick Paul Green.

Playing 3 at the back to fit the best players in, otherwise in a 442 Roberts would be playing LB

--------------------Grant-------------------

-----------Bray Barker Shackell--------

------------------Hughes------------------

Commons----- Bueno -----------Ward

--------------- Hulse Martin -------------

Playing 3 at the back to fit the best players in, otherwise in a 442 Roberts would be playing LB

--------------------Grant-------------------

-----------Bray Barker Shackell--------

------------------Hughes------------------

Commons----- Bueno -----------Ward

--------------- Hulse Martin -------------

I think you're missing a player

Bueno without a doubt the most over-rated player in the whole period of me being a Derby fan  :lol:

He was ok until the first brown leaf of autumn.

He was ok until the first brown leaf of autumn.

His first month here was incredible - think every game was a 9/10 performance just about, and then things just stopped happening for him, his touches and neat control was a bit wide and erratic, he struggled in a few games to impose himself.

Talented but limited at the same time, can you imagine him doing well in the premier league? 

sorry then can't pick one has he's signed too many players and too many left and I'm being serious . Massive player turnover and still no consistancy

Well my thread, my rules either a starting XI or nothing at all. There is a prize on offer for the best team.

Shilton

Nish

Todd

McFarland

Stimac

Eranio

Asanovic

Hinton

George

Saunders

Hector

Nigel would definitely have been on the bench with his dad which would qualify Nish, McFarland, Todd, Hinton and Hector for inclusion by the loosest interpretation of 'Nigel's time', but the others were definitely of 'someone else's time' 

Archived