Steve McClaren

Day

Wasn't he only at Forest for about ten games or something anyway? Leaving cos of a dispute about getting loan players from the prem in? I think people are overreacting to the Forest connection, don't see the point in not getting behind him, and like a few people have said - he's the best of a bad bunch available

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I kinda feel sorry for McLaren...it's a tough situation to come into but he has a talented bunch to work with at least

I think the general consensus is we agree he's a very good coach but can he manage and bring the right kind of players in (when required)...time will tell

He was a big part of the excellent football we played under Bald Eagle but of course we had a bigger budget then and some interesting foreign players at the time

I'm happy to give Stevie boy a chance, everyone speaks highly of his coaching and lets face it we don't have the cash to splash so can't see him making any big mistakes in the transfer market even if he wanted. We have some decent players and who knows he may well be able to improve what we have and bring some blinking tactics to work. Sure he will split opinion but then we ain't go to getting everyone on board to start even if we had Mourinho, Gudiola etc 

PLUS anything is better than Pulis!!!

"..hold talks.."

This fills me with dread. It's not a done deal. We have no manager, McClaren is clearly our first choice. He holds all the cards. Would you take the job without knowing who the mysterious DoF is going to be? Can you get more out of the squad than Nigel, the man who bought every single one of them and nurtured them as a unit in a stable club environment? Can you get more out of them whilst the structure of the club is being ripped apart by a board that appears quite desperate? If you can't get any more out of them and we continue to be what we are – a mid-table Championship side, how will you feel about having a limited budget, and even if you could spend big, we have a wage cap of £10k so can only attract lower league players and average Championship players?

Im in two minds really about schteve, but i had a think about the time he spent at forest and you have to remember he inherited a squad of BD players, when he's been used to coaching mainly internationals and top quality players .. perhaps they just wernt capable of doing what he wanted and that was why he tried to bring in a load of prem players in on loan .. and when he couldnt  he realised it was a no hope situation and so left ..

"..hold talks.."

This fills me with dread. It's not a done deal. We have no manager, McClaren is clearly our first choice. He holds all the cards. Would you take the job without knowing who the mysterious DoF is going to be? Can you get more out of the squad than Nigel, the man who bought every single one of them and nurtured them as a unit in a stable club environment? Can you get more out of them whilst the structure of the club is being ripped apart by a board that appears quite desperate? If you can't get any more out of them and we continue to be what we are – a mid-table Championship side, how will you feel about having a limited budget, and even if you could spend big, we have a wage cap of £10k so can only attract lower league players and average Championship players?

Rush said in his interview that we've got more than one candidate. Also there is the chance that Sunderland could come in for him so it certainly isn't a done deal.

I seem to remember alot of posters on here lamenting the previous coaching staff for their lack of ability. Considering SM is probably one of the best coaches in the country and will be able to attract other high quality coaches, this should be music to peoples ears. Couple that with a new structure of DoF and Head coach and there's no reason to think he wouldn't succeed.

If anything, I really want this appointment to happen, can't see how it can't benefit the club.

Often the wages will be paid in full by the parent club though, or at least a percentage - hopefully Steve would attract some proper prem players looking to rebuild careers etc

Not with the Prem clubs! We're paying ALL of Adam Smith's wages and a six figure loan fee on top! Loaning decent prem players is very much a loaner's market

So England would have qualified had he not used an umbrella?

Silly - it's not the umbrella, it was the coffee. Should have had a cappuccino - in another universe when it didn't rain that night, he became the pratté with the latté

Archived