When did we accept mediocrity.

Rodgreenfromarketing

Not a moan threat, just a simple 'When did you realise we were an average club forum"

Things Fans need to accept:

We aren't a 'Big Club' - we were when we were getting 32000 a few seasons back. The size of a club isn't about financial power or the quality of players, it's about the FANS. We have attendance in the low twenty thousands now.

Board that won't spend on transfers because they need to subsidise the annual £7 million + losses.

Average championship manger in my opinion. Clough has obviously demonstrated he can survive in this league, so he's an average to below average championship manager.

Average players apart from the players emerging from our academy.

These days I accept it. I still love the club, and I always will. I will always go to games, i accept it because I think its lucky I can just watch my club.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've known no different, the older lads I travel with have been privileged with the era of Brian Clough etc, Derby County the best team in England (I still can't believe it now when I hear it). I went the odd game under Jim Smith when we did well, but never a regular until the relegation in about 2001/2 I think.

But ever since I've been going most games home and away, I've seen something like 11/12 season in the Championship or division 2 as some speak of it, 1 promotion during that time and the awful premiership season. Tell me why people like myself feel derby are better than where we currently are? I've seen nothing which deserves all this "big club" talk. And I also apologise for a rare moan from myself and do put it down to a terrible defeat today. :D up the rams eh

I think it's apathy, take the millwall win last week, I mentioned it was a great win etc etc, but could I get excited? No I couldn't, I've mentioned this earlier this week but its just 'meh' nowadays for me if we win lose or draw. Even look at the Forest games now as just a day to take the p i s s at work whoever you support, just pure apathy which is sad as I really want to enjoy watching my beloved team do well.

Its the same at every Championship stadium, half empty home fans fed up the clubs situation, away fans out singing the opposition and to be brutally honest I'm starting to lose a little bit of interested in DCFC myself, up until 2006 I had a season ticket and went down with my dad but then we went to several local stadiums  but haven't been to a game since 2009.

I think some people just got bored with the Championship after several season with no real promotion push, I am and no I don't think Derby should have a place in the PL by right. Because

1. Since post war Derby has really had spells in and out of the topflight

2. Outside of the Midlands Derby County barley registers amongst my peers

3. We are not good enough

4. We haven't actually won anything of note for almost 40 years.

5. It is unfair just to base this one some biased thought patterns.

People on this forum say "oh look at Swansea they are nothing club, we should be up there" don't understand how Swansea did it and we could have easily done it if we had decent organistion from the club which we have lacked since the mid-90s, also a clear plan between transition of managers work which we have never had. Big club syndrome is a terrible disease. Swansea are miles bigger than us at present, might change in few years time.

Also these petty arguments over Forest fans over attendances, FFP, Billy Davies, Nigel Clough; well 30 years ago it would by over Brian Clough, Dave Mackay, European Cup/League titles, much better and both sets of fans actually had something to be proud of. Rather than the post-millennium depression. Guess I don't like in the local area so I'm not really fussed about how Forest do.

There is some things which keep me going such as the fantastic talents of Will Hughes, Jeff Hendrick and Mason Bennett, the rest of players nice guys and hard workers like they are I would not lose any tears over there departure like I did with Igor, Wanchope, Eranio etc (mind you I was primary school age then). 

I also admire that we are trying to play possession football and it may take time to develop but we are making the same mistakes every season and I used to be a blind optimist over things like after the PL season but now I have accepted our position as a mid-table CCC club, as depressing as that sounds and defeat doesn't ruin my weekend like they did 8 years ago.

Just where I stand really, guess you say I have accepted mediocrity as the norm but that means I will be shocked when the upturn does happen but I'm expecting this to take time. But there will have to be change soon if there is no progress as attendances and revenues will fall.

See you've summed it up there for me Cumbrian.

There's lots to moan about. It IS boring. It is average.

I don't blame people for being critical and there's nothing wrong with folks believing we're about to turn a corner.

What I hate is the outrage that we're a 2nd tier side. The disgust. They call us ***** one minute and then are openly disgusted that a team like Reading can beat us comfortably.

It's a contradiction. It's as if they have stepped straight out of 1975.

Reading are strong 2nd tier side and Derby aren't yet (maybe never again). Why the anger? It's not breaking news.

People have ideas about where teams belong. But these ideas are just fantasy. Today's defeat wasn't disgusting. It's not an outrage. Neither was Leicester.

It's hard to seperate the knee jerk plastics from the disgruntled supporter. But I see more of the former than of the latter at PP

Away from home with 600/800 people you don't get the plastics really.

I can simplify this;

Reading have a squad on premier league money, their striker who scored their 2 goals today is a russian international and a very good premier league pedigree.

as simple as that, we've set our budget for mid-table football nothing more or less than that really, not without a huge piece of luck along the way anyway. 

That Ruski had not scored for yonks, so we must have been crap. :(

Still, he is a russian international - on 50k+ a week.

with a half decent scoring record in the top levels in the world - first year in this country he scored 6 prem goals in 12 apps. 

also ex-uefa cup top goalscorer - this is the sort of player around in this division, perhaps we need some humility when it comes to our side? 

Still, he is a russian international - on 50k+ a week.

with a half decent scoring record in the top levels in the world - first year in this country he scored 6 prem goals in 12 apps. 

also ex-uefa cup top goalscorer - this is the sort of player around in this division, perhaps we need some humility when it comes to our side? 

You are right of course , its the same with DCCC, you can not expect to get away with playing against better players week in and week out.

You are right of course , its the same with DCCC, you can not expect to get away with playing against better players week in and week out.

We're in the middle of the championship in terms of budgets, I just think we are perhaps demanding a bit to much.

There are some big, big spenders in this division and regardless of what people say about money and the stigma behind it. It opens doors up for you.

We are what we are, but like I said - something has to give, people will give up. Another mid-table finish and another couple thousand people will fall off the radar, and so on and so forth.

Unfortunately I am not deluded enough to think a new manager will change everything, infact in a team in our position any instablity is likely to result in a negative manner (for me) The only change comes with a new ownership, with a new mindset and ability of changing that. However, you have to think FFP has killed any major interest that big spending ownership will have in this league. 

We're in the middle of the championship in terms of budgets, I just think we are perhaps demanding a bit to much.

There are some big, big spenders in this division and regardless of what people say about money and the stigma behind it. It opens doors up for you.

We are what we are, but like I said - something has to give, people will give up. Another mid-table finish and another couple thousand people will fall off the radar, and so on and so forth.

Unfortunately I am not deluded enough to think a new manager will change everything, infact in a team in our position any instablity is likely to result in a negative manner (for me) The only change comes with a new ownership, with a new mindset and ability of changing that. However, you have to think FFP has killed any major interest that big spending ownership will have in this league. 

Something does have to give. I would not say people would be deluded to think a new manager would change things. You simply do not know that. Should attendances fall much further then the board will have to take action, current home results really do not help. Are you suggesting that there isn't a manager (who would come to Derby) who could get us promoted on our midtable budget? (then again this debate has been done loads)

I have no desire to go to PP. Nothing to do with the football played but I was sick of the attitude of some fans. It may have been a few years back, but to hear our own players being booed before the match even started was a joke. As long as I have been a Derby fan, most seasons have seen a relegation battle, or those early excellent prem seasons under the Bald Eagle. This is the longest sustained period without any real excitement. It really is tough to get hopes up when we are so inconsistent, it is tougher to accept that we are a midtable championship side and if this goes on our attendances will reflect that.

I think in truth, it is my love for football as a whole that is stagnating, I feel the game has lost it's character.

Archived