When did we accept mediocrity.

Rodgreenfromarketing

Not a Cloughite. I think if we finish midtable again, he should do the honourable thing and resign. Say he has taken the club as far as he can and has left us with a solid platform to progress from. If attendances keep falling, I don't think the board could keep him on.

Exactly how I see it too.

I'm a bit fed up of losing so often so he's got to stop us being also rans.

It's been a tough start at home and only the Burnley result would I say is deffo not a result for a team wanting to finish in the top 6.

The rest are frustrating but grudgingly acceptable.

When the ball gets rolling I expect us to win pretty often at home. I still think we'll be better at home and find away games difficult. It's been pretty easy away. Being fair the lads have dealt with the easy games easily. Not just winning but winning well. And Brighton away was as much of a nice surprise as Burnley at home was a nasty one.

I have my doubts about us finishing in the top 6/7. But 8 games in I don't think I'll jump to conclusions.

This is the year. I hope he steps aside if we fail to do any damage. I'd hate him to have to be pushed. He won't get a better team. He built this team and its alright. If anything it could get weaker if people like the look of Hendrick and Hughes goes. But I doubt he could build much better.

I actually think the team is good enough in midfield, up front and in goal. I just think Nigel needs to get it working. That defence needs attention too.

Billy Davies has proven in the past that if you are solid at the back you always stand a chance of "fluking" a win. With Derby it feels like we always stand a chance of throwing a win.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.sporting-heroes.net/football/derby-county-fc/ron-webster-10100/biography-of-his-football-career-with-the-rams_a12424/

Take a look at this, I was right( that don`t happen very often according to some on here) :)

Top man,smiffy.I'm ashamed to say I remember putting that very link on the forum ages ago :ph34r: .Anyway,better stop now before off thread police collar me :D

We accepted mediocrity when we decided to support Derby. We accepted that we won't be at the top table every season. Us who started watching the Rams in 1969/70 will always see Derby County as one of the top clubs in the country but I can't for the life of me think why fans of later (or earlier!) era's would think that.

I started watching us back in the glory years but even during the late 70's early 80's my love never waned. In fact it grew stronger. The worse we became, the more fierce my support became. When we were down to 14,000 and owned by complete crooks i still stood proud on the Popside and willed my team on. After the games I protested, joined the attacks on the directors box, invaded the pitch, helped to drive criminals and tax dodging ***** from my club, right through to the 3 amigos. 

All through the years I knew people who drifted away, some "became" Man Utd or Liverpool or whoever happened to be winning the top league, and do you know what? I pitied them. They would never know the elation of supporting a club dropping down the leagues then coming back up. 

Others just stopped coming but were quick to come back with their kids when we got promoted in 1996 and moved to PP in 97. Our gates went from 16,000 to 26,000 with a promotion and new stadium!

So yes, i accept mediocrity. I accept that we can't compete with Man City like we used to. 

I can never accept though the spineless, whinging, moaning, w@nkers who currently inhabit pride park whenever a result goes against us. I'm not on about people on here, I'm on about tossers at the match who shout that Clough doesn't know what he's doing because individual errors (one from a forward), give soft goals away.

Either do summat about it if you feel that strongly and campaign for the board or manager to go or fook off and come back when we're succesfull again. 

For me, it feels like we have shifted our status a bit.

I have always believed that in this league we're one of the big hitters and should always be considered as a promotion candidate.

The fact that Sam Rush commented that a team like us always gets promotion means we are effectively saying we're one of the average clubs at this level that have a chance if everything clicks. Like Palace last year and Blackpool before that.

There's always the chance that teams like that could be in a relegation battle too. (Not that I am implying we are)

It feels like the plan is to just keep ticking along and hope that this year, it's us that get lucky.

I always saw ourselves as bigger than Stoke and West Brom, but we're light years behind them now.

With the FFP and increased parachute payments the gap in this division is going to get wider, so if clubs come down whilst well run, we'll struggle to compete. I would be surprised if QPR, Reading or Wigan aren't in the top 6 by the end of this season.

And lack of competition equals apathy.

We accepted mediocrity when we decided to support Derby.

I didn't 'decide'. :(

Like your friends who drifted off to support the fashionable team of the time, not sure I'd have chose Derby. That said, I reckon I feel more alive as a Derby fan over the last 25 years than your average Man United fan who's never really been on the rollercoaster!

• 2 weeks later...

Some fans may have accepted mediocrity, but I'm quietly confident that Sam Rush hasn't.

(Not sure is it just hope, thought...)

Now I'm sure he reads this forum...

Is Jill Gallone first ever fan to be called mediocrityhunter?

Archived