Away Support Getting Worse and Worse

ChorleyRam

Like reading the articles but rarely post.

The reason for lower attendances is probably two fold.

The main one for me is cost and probably for overall away figures as well. My rent/car insurance/tax/phone and food bills come in at about £1300. I'm trying to save for a house deposit and is probably harder now than it was 20years ago. When you weigh up how you're going to spend your money, factoring in another £100 for one game isn'teasy to justify, Maybe thats just me but i reackon for fans in their 20s, it probably is more of an issue than it was before.

The main reason for derby being low is because we have been crap, If you're young and are trying to work out what you can afford to do, why would you spend it to see it an away game which has so often been utter ****? You can still get your football fix by going to the home games. I don't live nearby (between oxford and reading) and would prefer to spend the money travelling to pride park for the few games I can make rather than spending it going to away matches.

Queue the abuse about being derby through and through etc but you have to be realistic. If money is tight, you aren't going to want to spend it on the crap which has been served up in past seasons, The better Derby do, the better the attendance will be...

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like reading the articles but rarely post.

The reason for lower attendances is probably two fold.

The main one for me is cost and probably for overall away figures as well. My rent/car insurance/tax/phone and food bills come in at about £1300. I'm trying to save for a house deposit and is probably harder now than it was 20years ago. When you weigh up how you're going to spend your money, factoring in another £100 for one game isn'teasy to justify, Maybe thats just me but i reackon for fans in their 20s, it probably is more of an issue than it was before.

The main reason for derby being low is because we have been crap, If you're young and are trying to work out what you can afford to do, why would you spend it to see it an away game which has so often been utter ****? You can still get your football fix by going to the home games. I don't live nearby (between oxford and reading) and would prefer to spend the money travelling to pride park for the few games I can make rather than spending it going to away matches.

Queue the abuse about being derby through and through etc but you have to be realistic. If money is tight, you aren't going to want to spend it on the crap which has been served up in past seasons, The better Derby do, the better the attendance will be...

Top post! Couldn't agree more

Usually do seven or eight away games a season, however last season got hooked somehow and only missed four. Truth be told it was a very expensive season, anywhere down south was easily a £100 day.

Tuesday night games are difficult for me. A trip to Ipswich or Middlesbrough in winter on a Tuesday night really isn't appealing is it? Time off work, no train travel either (I don't live in derby so roadrider doesn't help). Surely the fa should try to make midweek games more local affairs

I'm not having a go and each to their own, but if you can't be arsed to go 3 overground stops to watch Derby, then why bother with this forum? You can go to the Tate any time and buying crap food/drink isn't really necessary when you live so close. As I said, not having a go, just puzzled.

Must admit i'm with sage on this. Three stops is that within walking distance?

Money and family commitments are the main barriers I think. I am wary of taking kids to away games. Places like Yeovil are obviousy fine, but would never take a child to Forest, Millwall, Brum or Leeds and there are another 8-10 I would be cautious about.

As another poster mentioned, for me it's an occasion for young lads and middle aged blokes at many grounds and looking around Pride Park, we seem to have a lower percentage of 16-50 aged groups of males than some other clubs and maybe this is reflected in our away following.

By the way, i'm not saying women and children shouldn't go to whatever games they want to, it's just that many are put off by the awayday experience.

I'm not having a go and each to their own, but if you can't be arsed to go 3 overground stops to watch Derby, then why bother with this forum? You can go to the Tate any time and buying crap food/drink isn't really necessary when you live so close. As I said, not having a go, just puzzled. 

This forum is not just for those who go to games.

I'll not be going to Bolton tomorrow even though it won't take me long to get there. I know I wouldn't enjoy the experience. From having to leave work early to travelling to the ground, to not being able to see because everyone is standing. And that's without considering the quality of the actual football.

I'll not be going to Bolton tomorrow even though it won't take me long to get there. I know I wouldn't enjoy the experience. From having to leave work early to travelling to the ground, to not being able to see because everyone is standing. And that's without considering the quality of the actual football.

We've just 3 away games on the trot, scoring ten goals!! Would you go if we were at Everton on Saturday (if you had no kids)  or would you go to a museum instead? 

I'm not suggesting only those who go to games should be allowed on a forum, i'm just genuinely puzzled as to why someone who go to the trouble of contributing to a club forum, when you don't want to watch the team, even when they are on your doorstep and you can afford to go. Genuinely puzzled.

The three train stops away is pretty embarrassing to me, personally don't mind travel etc. usually cost and other plans(work being the main one) that stop me going.

The football could have been better the last few years, but I go for the experience and day out rather than expecting to win. Hopefully that is changing, I'd love nothing more!

We've just 3 away games on the trot, scoring ten goals!! Would you go if we were at Everton on Saturday (if you had no kids)  or would you go to a museum instead? 

I'm not suggesting only those who go to games should be allowed on a forum, i'm just genuinely puzzled as to why someone who go to the trouble of contributing to a club forum, when you don't want to watch the team, even when they are on your doorstep and you can afford to go. Genuinely puzzled.

There are lots of things I'd do if I didn't have kids, though I think the post you responded to makes it pretty clear that I have quite a few reservations about going to away games.

If people are genuinely puzzled as to why other activities might be more attractive to some than the experience of watching Derby County away from home, they should probably get out a bit more and try stuff.

I'm taking my daughter swimming tomorrow evening; on Saturday I will be gardening or creating some music. Nothing especially unusual or complicated but, to me, far more enjoyable and rewarding than any fare DCFC can serve up.

If you had been to any of our games over the past 4 seasons then there's been hundreds of seats available where you can have a unobstructed view. 

There are lots of things I'd do if I didn't have kids, though I think the post you responded to makes it pretty clear that I have quite a few reservations about going to away games.

If people are genuinely puzzled as to why other activities might be more attractive to some than the experience of watching Derby County away from home, they should probably get out a bit more and try stuff.

I'm taking my daughter swimming tomorrow evening; on Saturday I will be gardening or creating some music. Nothing especially unusual or complicated but, to me, far more enjoyable and rewarding than any fare DCFC can serve up.

Gardening over watching derby? Fair enough we're all fans but I'm pretty certain football doesn't grip and excite you as much as it does me as well as many others on here if that's the case.

I agree football isn't an obligation but something we should choose to do. Personally not many things I'd choose over watching derby on a Saturday, have the odd Saturday off but generally my Saturday revolves around football!

If you've got 9 and half minutes. I'd highly recommend this link.

The incredible man that he was, he had it sussed years ago.

as an aside, listen to him rip Trevor Francis to shreds, didn't criticise his players in public?

He used the press like a puppet master, building up the ones who needed, knocking down the ones who needed it more.

Pure Genius. Pure Pure genius.

***** you'lll probably want to stop watching after about 7 minutes, the rest is awful to watch.

I do loads of stuff that are nothing to do with sport. However many of them I can do at any time. I go to the theatre, cinema and galleries/museums as much as I go to away games.  As I said myself I am wary of taking kids to some away games, but the poster I responded to went out for the day on his own (he infers) and spent the equivalent amount of money on other stuff he could do any weekend, we his team who normally play 130 miles away are on his doorstep.

Again, if you genuinely find gardening more enjoyable and rewarding than 'any fare DCFC can serve up', why do you bother contributing to a forum which is mainly about the fare that Derby serve up.   

Money isnt a reason as to why similar clubs have much better away support, everyone has to pay the same prices.

Being a midlands club is an advantage on travel costs. Try travelling from places like Plymouth, Newcastle, Gillingham etc

I think it really is as simple as we have been crap away for several years.

It can be expensive to go see the games and if you're team is dire on their travels for a few seasons in a row then people get fed up.. Correct me if i am wrong but this hasnt been a sudden drop. The decline in attendance has probably just matched our performances...

It isn't something related specifically to derby, it is the same everywhere outside of the premiership. I'm sure if we looked at other championship sides who have been stuck in limbo playing crap away, they will be similar.

Just to add my two penneth...

As a season ticket holder, many of my Saturdays are already taken up by watching the football, and in the interests of a balanced life, away matches are a chance for me to do other things (family stuff, odd jobs etc). I'd love to be able to travel more but as I've got older I have more of a commitment to mine and my other half's families, so it becomes a question of compromise. I'm sure if I were 19 years old again I'd be up and down the country every week, but that's just not possible.

Besides which, there really is more to life than football.

There's been some good reasons on here why individuals no longer to to as many away games as they once did or would like to.

But, we are no different to fans of any other club and many other clubs pi55 on our away support.

So, for me it's all about what goes on on the pitch and the way we believe our club has been headed over the last few years. And lots of people are bored with the mediocrity and lack of ambition. That's the main reason for the decline in the away support.

Just to add my two penneth...

As a season ticket holder, many of my Saturdays are already taken up by watching the football, and in the interests of a balanced life, away matches are a chance for me to do other things (family stuff, odd jobs etc). I'd love to be able to travel more but as I've got older I have more of a commitment to mine and my other half's families, so it becomes a question of compromise. I'm sure if I were 19 years old again I'd be up and down the country every week, but that's just not possible.

Besides which, there really is more to life than football.

I agree. I can not justify blowing upto £100+ on an away game every other week and having to go without other things that the misses wants.

I think there are many reasons. Go a long way, with a lot of cost, to be surrounded by ****** who sing stupid songs and think it's amusing to verbally abuse young female stewards/opposition fans? Or spend the day with your mates cultivating the land at some snobby golf course where you're playing for half-price because the suckers think you might join... hmmm

Archived