Away Support Getting Worse and Worse

ChorleyRam

I went to Bolton away last year... Tuesday afternoon/night/all day commute from London for the game...

And I travel up from London for all the home games... so kinda think I'm doing my travelling for home games... And they take up pretty much my whole weekend once I've stayed to see parents/grandparents/mates etc so have to prioritise having a life when the rams are away from PP...

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went last night, it was a decent enough atmosphere, I think it's hard to gauge just how loud it is when you're right in the middle of it.

It was the third game I've seen live this season, Tuesday nights up north are actually better for me to be honest. £25 is a fair whack to pay though in my opinion, although in terms of entertainment last night was pretty good.

Fans go to watch football for a lot of reasons, and there's a lot of reasons why fans don't go. I think every reason people have posted is valid and all contribute to a down turn.

Largely speaking I think you'd look towards well over 5 years of poor results on the road and it starts to grind you down as a supporter. Like it or not the numbers both home and away are pretty closely linked to how the team is performing on the pitch. I'd say that's the main reason why our away attendances are down and the likes of Forest and Leicester have remained fairly steady.

Keep playing the way we're playing and start picking up points at home and people will find a way to come back, regardless of cost. People like to feel part of something and football is tribal in that way. It'll take time for the support to build back up but I think if we can remain around the top 6 for the majority of the season and pick up points on the road relatively consistently the fans will start taking more chances on following us away.

Just to say that I thought the support last night, wet Tuesday night and Bolton, was excellent.  Can only guess at the numbers but the noise level was very good, though my ears are ringing still from standing close to the drum (he's good though).  Much better than the home support which was neither loud nor high in numbers, though not much booing!

I was right next to the guy, had a headache coming on before the game, sure did afterwards.

If ya saw someone with a beard, t'was me.

724 is a big improvement already especially with 2 big away days next week, wasn't so long ago we took 300 odd to Boro. Change the thread name to getting worse then better or just delete the entire thing before any dogs get on here taking the pi$$.

I really don't think they've got owt to crow about regarding attendances

I went last night, it was a decent enough atmosphere, I think it's hard to gauge just how loud it is when you're right in the middle of it.

It was the third game I've seen live this season, Tuesday nights up north are actually better for me to be honest. £25 is a fair whack to pay though in my opinion, although in terms of entertainment last night was pretty good.

Fans go to watch football for a lot of reasons, and there's a lot of reasons why fans don't go. I think every reason people have posted is valid and all contribute to a down turn.

Largely speaking I think you'd look towards well over 5 years of poor results on the road and it starts to grind you down as a supporter. Like it or not the numbers both home and away are pretty closely linked to how the team is performing on the pitch. I'd say that's the main reason why our away attendances are down and the likes of Forest and Leicester have remained fairly steady.

Keep playing the way we're playing and start picking up points at home and people will find a way to come back, regardless of cost. People like to feel part of something and football is tribal in that way. It'll take time for the support to build back up but I think if we can remain around the top 6 for the majority of the season and pick up points on the road relatively consistently the fans will start taking more chances on following us away.

This is absolutely spot on IMO RR. Most of the reasons given on this thread affect ALL football fans. Derby's have declined more than most and 5 years of generally poor away form and results has taken its toll. It's been a gradual decline over this time and I for one lost all motivation to go. I still do the ones with a great day out, Peterborough, Blackpool etc but its not for the football.

I am now out of the habit like so many more I know. But we are sleeping we haven't gone away. Our potential away support can be huge as we all know and just like we have seen a gradual decline, we are quite capable of building up again fairly quickly if our away form continues and more so if we are challenging at the top. The habit comes back, more busses starting to run from local pubs and surrounding towns - it can happen and it has EVERYTHING to do with team performance and effort.

well done to the fans that traveled from derby on a miserable tues night

it wasn't the biggest turn out but never the less we made ourselves heard

i was home for 10.45 when for a home game its well gone 11 . a few more

good performances like last nights i am sure more will travel . i thought

25 pound was a bit steep maybe this is the problem for many together

with fuel cost , well done again loyal RAMS FANS .    

When I used to go to every away match (including Anglo Italian Cup - only time I've seen us play competitively in Europe) it was so much cheaper 20 odd years ago whilst in my late teens/early 20's.

I remember paying £5 to get in at Newcastle, which was relatively the norm for the top flight. Add in the massive inflated increase of both match ticket and fuel and it prices out the younger supporter.

Coupled with the fact I'm married with 2 young kids means I have other commitments that prevent me from going now and the next generation are priced out of going, especially when they can see two matches on telly every Saturday...

As soon as my kids are old enough, I might start going to more away games again...

Archived