NFL thread

Perky1106

17 hours ago, r4derby said:

GMen win at Twickenham. Gutted I couldn't get down there but good to see so many jerseys. Always love the amount of colour at NFL games in London as all teams are represented!

More of a Giants home game on the shirt front, although the Pack were well represented.

What is it with the cheese thing as a hat??

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

More of a Giants home game on the shirt front, although the Pack were well represented.

What is it with the cheese thing as a hat??

Chicago fans used the term 'cheese head' as an insult about people from Wisconsin, but they adopted it as a joke name. Some guy started making hats shaped like cheese and it became super popular and is now ingrained in Green Bay history.

Cheeseheads are a nickname they go by, pretty much every NFL franchise older than a couple of seasons have various names.

yeah lots of suffering Big Blue fans like myself (he says having seen his team win 2 superbowls in past 9 years...)

Isnt it because the small town that green bay is, used to have cheese packing factory/ies as its biggest employer?

Thats what I always thought, could be wrong though.

Massively gutted I couldnt make Twickenham, as I missed the Giants in 07 at Wembley too.

Still never seem then live, despite following them almost as long as the rams which is some 30 years.

40 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

Isnt it because the small town that green bay is, used to have cheese packing factory/ies as its biggest employer?

Massively gutted I couldnt make Twickenham, as I missed the Giants in 07 at Wembley too.

Still never seem then live, despite following them almost as long as the rams which is some 30 years.

The packers name comes from the Indian Packing Company who gave the funds to start the franchise. I thought they made boxes though not cheese.

cheesehead was an insult for the Dutch settlers and latterly Wisconsin residents.

edit : they made cans and packed canned meat. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Packing_Company

1 hour ago, jagerbob said:

I got into NFL about 2006, after my first trip to America. Fell for the Giants, and adopted them as my team. 10 years later I can safely say I made a good choice, despite never really looking like a dominant team apart from the season after we won SB (2008). Even playoff runs to SB was magic and big plays rather than us dominating teams

3 hours ago, r4derby said:

I got into NFL about 2006, after my first trip to America. Fell for the Giants, and adopted them as my team. 10 years later I can safely say I made a good choice, despite never really looking like a dominant team apart from the season after we won SB (2008). Even playoff runs to SB was magic and big plays rather than us dominating teams

Couple of great playoff performances in those recent years.

Despite not having very good regular seasons, infact didnt the Giants scrape through to the wildcard both times?

My first years of supporting them was with teams built on good defences with a decent running game and a tidy Quarterback who had a good completion rate without having a great arm. Im pretty sure the 1986 win, their first superbowl Simms set a superbowl record at the time for %completion, despite not passing for a huge amount of yardage. Joe Morris with Maurice Cathon blocking were amazing in 86,and in 90 i think it was, the seeminly passed it, Otis Anderson took over when Morris was injured ( I presume) The line backer core in both 86 and 90 was pretty immense lead by Lawrence Taylor.

5 hours ago, Bridgford Ram said:

Is anyone else watching Bengals versus the Redskins?

Caught bits of it. Loved the game going to OT, just so the fans can get some extra drama. Wanted the Bengals to win, but just happy the Redskins didn't win.

2 hours ago, CumbrianRam said:

Raiders 7-2, to think two years ago we were 0-10!

Look a different team, that was a statement making win, if anyone still doubted them as an above average team. Raiders have players on every phase, could see a decent playoff run in sketchy AFC.

Archived